Misato and Asuka in Germany

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:13 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is part of the reason I think she and Asuka might have a lot in common

Seeing as she's certainly aware that Misato has a number of masks it probably just serves to remind Asuka that she's faking it all too.

What I really have to wonder is how deep does the other side of that equation go? How much does Misato really understand just how fucked in the head Asuka is? Why does she do nothing to console or at least reign her in when she's clearly going off the rails, especially in the "I hate myself most of all" scene? Granted a lot of this didn't exist until the DC episodes, but why does Misato have nothing at all to say during Asuka's portions of EoTV?

It's rather frustrating.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 am

Misato doesn't care about Asuka. "A woman who lives life so lightly as to barely allow a human touch," remember? Her bond with Shinji is forced upon her, but Misato tries to avoiding forming meaningful relationships with others if she has a choice. As long as she can engage in occasional banter with Asuka to reassure her that she doesn't hate her or anything, and as long as Asuka seems to be getting on fine without a deeper relationship between them - she doesn't really give a damn. By the time she realizes that Asuka is not sane, Misato can look on grimly from another room, but she can't bring herself to try and provide any measure of comfort - no matter how little Asuka would want it.

From what Asuka tells Kaji about Misato, my guess would be that when they first met, Misato attempted the same kind of false good cheer we see in ep02 on her and Asuka, much less interested than Shinji in a positive environment (and more socially perceptive at least if still incompetent at acting in it) saw right through her and either called her out on it or dismissed any possibility of Misato having a personality beyond that.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:"A woman who lives life so lightly as to barely allow a human touch," remember?

I don't remember that line, actually. Where's it from?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I don't remember that line, actually. Where's it from?
EoTV. The Case of Misato Katsuragi.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:33 am

Is it? I thought it was from that one description Anno gave of the show in which he describes Misato and Shinji as parallel protagonists.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I've always wondered about the truth of this. Does she really like Shinji better, or does she just know how to deal with him because he's a) a guy and b) passive? It's hard for me to tell because the show doesn't make her feelings toward the pilots all that clear; we know she cares, and that she fucked up royally, but past that the info's thin on the ground. Everything else we get about her deals with her thirst for vengeance (that we never really see in practice, curious) and her role as a slut (something we also never see substantiated).

View Original PostNemZ wrote:What I really have to wonder is how deep does the other side of that equation go? How much does Misato really understand just how fucked in the head Asuka is? Why does she do nothing to console or at least reign her in when she's clearly going off the rails, especially in the "I hate myself most of all" scene? Granted a lot of this didn't exist until the DC episodes, but why does Misato have nothing at all to say during Asuka's portions of EoTV?

I still stand by the assertion that Misato fell for Asuka's fake persona. If that's the case, it's very easy to understand why she spent so much time doting on Shinji and so little on Asuka. Beyond that, at Asuka's breaking point, there's numerous possibilities for why Misato stood back during the bathroom scene. Two that come to mind:

1) Misato has no bloody clue how to deal with it, and doesn't intervene for fear she'll make things worse. Hell, maybe she underestimates how serious Asuka is, thinking it to be a phase or hormones.

2) At this point in the series, Misato has bigger fish to fry. She's trying to figure out what Seele's up to, she's just recently found out Kaji died, and the angels have got tougher and tougher, who knows what the spiel with the next one will be. Meanwhile Asuka's breaking apart at the seams, but she can't deal with that, so she shuts it out. Best parenting? Negativo, but Misato never was the best parent.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:From what Asuka tells Kaji about Misato, my guess would be that when they first met, Misato attempted the same kind of false good cheer we see in ep02 on her and Asuka, much less interested than Shinji in a positive environment (and more socially perceptive at least if still incompetent at acting in it) saw right through her and either called her out on it or dismissed any possibility of Misato having a personality beyond that.

That's actually a very good point I hadn't considered. It's quite possible their relationship has progressed past niceties, hence the difference between Misato-Shinji and Misato-Asuka.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:51 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Misato doesn't care about Asuka. "A woman who lives life so lightly as to barely allow a human touch," remember? Her bond with Shinji is forced upon her, but Misato tries to avoiding forming meaningful relationships with others if she has a choice.

Key word being "tries". Hers are probably the strongest relationships in the show, though -- this is the woman who was sobbing over Shinji in Ep 20, who agonized over whether or not she should get back together with Kaji, and who is probably the only person Ritsuko can call a friend. I don't think for a minute that she doesn't care about Asuka.

View Original PostCJD wrote:I still stand by the assertion that Misato fell for Asuka's fake persona.

Meh. She's not that dumb, and Asuka's not that good. More likely she knew something was wrong from the start, but couldn't figure out how to handle it since Asuka refused to even acknowledge there was a problem (accepting help was right out). There's not much you can do with someone who's that headstrong even in the best of circumstances.

Beyond that, at Asuka's breaking point, there's numerous possibilities for why Misato stood back during the bathroom scene. Two that come to mind:

It's probably a lot simpler than that: Kaji's dead, and Misato can't cope with her own issues let alone provide for anyone else. Even with Shinji the best she could manage was an offer of sex, and since that wasn't an option with Asuka she didn't know what else to do.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:36 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's probably a lot simpler than that: Kaji's dead, and Misato can't cope with her own issues let alone provide for anyone else. Even with Shinji the best she could manage was an offer of sex, and since that wasn't an option with Asuka she didn't know what else to do.

Wow, you just set off a high-yield yuri bomb right behind my eyes...

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Wow, you just set off a high-yield yuri bomb right behind my eyes...

:asuka_stare: You've been in the game this long, and you only just now ran into that pairing? :tongue: It's not as common as some of the others, but there are a few fics dealing with it out there. Some of them are even good! :lol: I thought about it as I was writing that, but ignored it because, even if Misato were game for it (which I doubt, but we all know about the rumors about her and Ritsuko in college . . . ) I'm damn sure Asuka wouldn't go for it. Good luck sexing up a traumatized girl who's mind has been turned into Swiss cheese when all she's ever thought about are men and boys. Not that plenty of folks haven't tried, but it's a tough sell in canon Eva.

But then there's always this. :toothy:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:16 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Wow, you just set off a high-yield yuri bomb right behind my eyes...

What would be the units used to measure that yield? "My God, that was a 10 mega-Utena shot!" :lol:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Misato and Asuka in Germany

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:53 am

Was Misato aware that Asuka was into Kaji? I want to say yes but when I think about I'm just assuming.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Misato and Asuka in Germany

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 27, 2017 4:31 am

It's quite likely that Misato was back in Japan before Asuka started getting hormonal urges. The eight years in their relationship means that Misato would have split from Kaji around the time Asuka started pilot training (did she get seconded to Germany as part of making the break?), and they probably avoided each other during any handover.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”