What would you change about cinema/film history?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: What would you change about cinema/film history?

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu May 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Where to start...

Mainly, studios to care about content rather than profit. That way we don't see a stone being bled dry to make Star Destroyers full of money (lookin at you, Disney...)

Next, slowing the roll on shared CU and remakes. Remakes tie into the whole point above, as the new Mummy, while visually stunning, will never match the wit of the original duology (what Mummy and the Tomb of the Dragon Emperor?) And with superhero films, while I'm excited about the MCU, as it's been done very well, everyone playing copycat and flooding the market with at least three others(monsters, creatures, and DCCU), or more if you count the whole HP or Star Wars expansions.

People to understand that Avatar is Pocahontas in space with blue aliens and a ridiculously named element (unobtainium, really?), and that it did not deserve the accolades it got.

Not splitting the end of every book series into a two-part movie. Make the movie longer. Exception being HP DH1 and 2, but in reality, a lot of those books had so much detail, the last three movies should have been six.

Guy Nacks wrote:I wish Richard Harris had lived to film all the Harry Potter movies.
Yeah, wish that had happened too... and that the directors didn't change, as PoA was shit after the switch.

Also, a proper Jack Ryan series of movies set in continuity, that would have been nice.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 pm

For there to be more female writers and directors in Hollywood.

For Michael Bay to have never ever directed the transformers franchise and that he'd been kicked off after the second movie.

For universal to have made the new classic horror movies as horror R rated movies not some rip off super hero/monster film team up.

No one studio has the Marvel characters as its really wrecked pieces of the cinematic universe.

This ones more a personal thing but I wish the golden age of anime series in the 90's -2000's had carried on much longer or that there would be a second golden age like it.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu May 25, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Thu May 25, 2017 3:41 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:People to understand that Avatar is Pocahontas in space with blue aliens and a ridiculously named element (unobtainium, really?), and that it did not deserve the accolades it got.

Pretty impossible to disagree on this one...

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 26, 2017 5:03 am

Blade Trinity
- Remove Ryan Reynolds & Parker Posey completely.
- Have it be a more serious team up movie with Blade & Abigail tracking the resurrected Dracula.
- Keep the Dracula design exactly but get a better actor with better sword fighting ability or get a better fight choreographer, it's fucking embarrassing how bad the Blade 3 sword fight sucks compared to the final sword fight of the 1st film.
Godzilla (2014)
- Remove Aaron Taylor Johnson (who I am among the few who thought was decent in the film), remove their kid & have Olsen take over his role as the bomb tech child of Cranston's character.
- Show the military attacking the Muto in Las Vegas.
- Let Cranston be injured but not killed and have a good number of scenes with him & Watanabe playing off each other.
Star Wars - The Force Awakens
- Make Jakku less Tatooine-lite as the original concept art had.
- No Starkiller base & if it had to remain we get shown The New Republic & what our heroes accomplished after ROTJ so the god damn destruction would mean something.
- Remove the scene of Rey force convincing the Storm trooper to let her go, that was the most severe moment of her being overpowered IMO.
Shaft (2000)
- Got a sequel.
Friday the 13th (2009)
- Got a sequel.
Dceu in General
- Antje Traue cast as Wonder Woman instead of Faora. Yes I know it wasn't possible as getting cast in Mos was the only reason she didn't retire that year but still. She deserves the role way more then Gadot & I say this as someone who thinks Gadot is decent.
Man of Steel
SPOILER: Show
- Remove the "mabye" line, instead have Pa saying "your missing the point" and go into clearer detail about fearing that the world reacting badly to Clark's existence could cost more lives then however many Clark can save.
- The tornado scene was much quicker paced & less over dramatic, Clark gets Martha & the little girl to the overpass at the exact same time that Pa gets to his feet outside the car so it doesn't feel like Clark is just standing around doing jack shit, Pa more urgently waves him off & Clark hesitates only for a second & Pa is swept away immediately.
- Remove Church scene & just have Clark surrender to humanity on his own. Or if kept in place have it take place outside & not have the Jesus imagery in the background for people to massively exaggerate the presence of.
- Remove the moment of Clark jumping over the oil truck.
- Make the moment of Clark attempting to punch Zod out of Metropolis in the sky more obvious to the audience so they wouldn't be able to scream "why didn't he take the fight elsewhere".

Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice
SPOILER: Show
- Keep this Lex characterization & motive but have him be played by a bald Jeff Goldblum, tone down the twitchy awkwardness & make him a little more charismatic during the Galla & such.
- Give Clark a good number more happy scenes before the senate explosion. A fully positive scene of him saving people (keep the montage tho), Him, Lois & Martha having dinner, that would have added to the Ladies interaction at the end.
- Remove Batman killing during the car chase.
- Make clear that Bruce was unaware of his branding victims getting killed in prison.
- Remove future visions or if not make it more clear in them that Clark is possessed/influenced by something.
- Have Clark try & reason with Bruce again when the 1st dose of Kryptonite wore off only for Bruce to grab another one of the grenades forcing Clark to tackle him.
- Give Doomsday his classic spikes & render the CGI a bit more during the fight (when he first emerged he looked good but the cgi got worse as the film progressed)
- Have the JL cameos soundlessly play during the credits not interrupting the film.

View Original PostFrDougal9000#861290 wrote:- Gonna bump this thread with a few ideas, if that's alright.

-Wolfgang Reitherman being booted off the director's seat for The Rescuers. That film had the potential to be very good (it was certainly the studio's most ambitious film in the 70's), but I suspect Reitherman's desire for comedy and silly characters (especially in Robin Hood) contributed heavily to the film's massive tone problem, and resulted in it being such a middling movie.

Plenty alright, I forgot this fun thread. ^_^

IMO The Rescuers is damn good as is (altho I think the sequel is superior), but then I haven't watched it in a decade probably, been meaning to re watch.

View Original PostSachi#861307 wrote:I wish Disney had more faith in Tron, and continued with the plans after Legacy. Instead, I hear they're now rebooting it entirely. For shame, Disney. For shame.

Strongly agreed, loved Quorra & the sequel was suppose to follow her character. (can't believe it's been near 7 years since Legacy came out :cringe: )

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 26, 2017 5:28 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:People to understand that Avatar is Pocahontas in space with blue aliens and a ridiculously named element (unobtainium, really?), and that it did not deserve the accolades it got.

I totality agree and on that note have Cameron ditch the avatar sequels because by the time they come out no one will care any more because about his blue alien cats as the first movie was so long ago and Instead have Cameron make the alien sequels.

Get Ridley Scott back doing historical/fantasy epics again because that's where he shines best.

Also no blade runner sequel...the first was a work of art it never ever needed one.

The sequel to the Dark Crystal got made and Jim henson is still alive to create it.

That Ray Harryhausen had been able to work closely with everyone on the Clash Of The Titans remake as I've heard that he did ask if he could help but in one of the worst Hollywood fails ever he was told that they had no interest in his input and basically told him to get lost.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 26, 2017 6:08 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:That Ray Harryhausen had been able to work closely with everyone on the Clash Of The Titans remake as I've heard that he did ask if he could help but in one of the worst Hollywood fails ever he was told that they had no interest in his input and basically told him get lost.

Fucking heartbreaking & I say that as someone who thought the 2010 Clash was decent (IMO wrath was notably better).

At least he had this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYmDu1JHRmY

One other related thing I would change I would have had the 1953 War of the Worlds film as great as it is, have Harryhausen animate the aliens for it If his Beast from 20,000 fathoms schedule would allow for such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2OCI_M4zo

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 26, 2017 7:19 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Fucking heartbreaking & I say that as someone who thought the 2010 Clash was decent (IMO wrath was notably better).

At least he had this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYmDu1JHRmY

One other related thing I would change I would have had the 1953 War of the Worlds film as great as it is, have Harryhausen animate the aliens for it If his Beast from 20,000 fathoms schedule would allow for such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2OCI_M4zo

This is an mild off topic but Peter Jackson donated a lot of money to Rays Foundation so he could preserve his art work before his passing and his creatures are now on display in various museums in the UK as I saw the famous ones some years back at the London Film Museum. http://www.rayharryhausen.com/

Return to “Film and Video”