From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun May 07, 2017 8:09 am

View Original Postbig_big_bozo wrote:Has anyone ever written a sizable fanfiction exploring the Angels POV? And by "sizable", I mean more than a quick perspective cut in the middle of a "regular" fic (which I think I saw once years ago). I toyed with the idea a while back, starting with Sachiel, since it seemed like an appropriate place to start, but given the miniscule amount of information regarding the behaviours/thought process behind most of the Angels (with some exeptions given to Leliel, Arael, and Armisael of course) this strikes me as quite the challenge.

The idea I had for Sachiel was for it to "speak/think" in fragmented, semi-incoherent bursts of thought as it rapidly undergoes accelerated mental development. By the time its facing off against Unit-01 in their final duel, its mental age would have reached around that of a 8 or 9 year old. Granted, none of this is supported by info found within the show, but I thought it could be interesting. It's always fun to switch the roles around and """humanize""" the enemy a little bit.

However, I doubt it would garner many readers, given that the complexity of the principle cast lends itself much better to a fanfic. Afterall, the Angels are just walking metaphors, simply a means to an end. There's a good reason there ain't much to go on. Still, I could see a damn good Arael fic working out pretty well, if it doesn't exist already.

Sort of, in my fanfic Asuka has Bardiel in side her brain in parasite form he projects himself also in an Eva (With out armour) form and follows her around though no one else can see him and he kind of makes her life a living hell, I tried to go in to his perspective on how he doesn't get humanity and so on and that he's staying around because he wants to learn about it.

I would love to see more fanfiction with this kind of thing, because its fascinating and I didn't get any issues with readership by doing this so you should go for it. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 am

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:The tuning fork spear emanates a noise that attracts the attention of Ramiel, turning the fic into a Lance of Longinus x Ramiel story.

Keep going OP...
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 am

This is how I imagine this scenario: NERV loses popularity due to constant city destruction, decides to use the Evangelions to create a kick-ass band in order to regain favor as well as raise revenue. Because of the size of the instruments that the Evangelions use is so large, it only makes sense that the tuning fork matches, hence the usage of the Lance. Shinji in Unit 01 taps the 'fork', sending out a glorious chime across the lands, beckoning the arrival of Ramiel who responds with her own melody.

It's a forbidden love, as NERV cannot allow Ramiel to take away their most powerful weapon. They retaliate with a series of desperate measures, but ultimately fail. Something, something, the lance gets to penetrate Ramiel's 'AT field'.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Inspired by discussion in another thread:

How would Yui react if Shinji and/or Gendo kicked the bucket? We've never really seen her caught off guard & she seems to have underestimated what her plan would do to her family, possibly under the rationale that it's better than what SEELE's plan would make of them or that she'd preserve her memories of them for eternity.
Also the plot might be greatly derailed if she went into an apocalyptic meltdown, refused to have EVA 01 budge ever again etc. or maybe she'd simply suck it up & readjust her plan somehow but with Gendo and/or Shinji off the playing board things may go way differently - if Gendo's dead SEELE will face way less opposition but if Shinji kicks it that would probably get a greater reaction out of Yui as she intended for him to live & fulfill his glorious destinity etc also he's a crucial part of her plan, and there's also the question of what Misato or Fuyutsuki will do.

ALSO:

Izumi from the "Impacts" short survived and is now a low-ranked WILLE member lowkey motivated by avenging the deaths of her friends. You could depict the events of Q from her POV in the same "lower decks episode" style, starting a bit earlier with Misato capturing the Wunder and cooirdinating the retrieval mission without her really interacting with any of the main characters except perhaps some minor ones like Sakura or the Wille bridge bunnies, or you could go for the kill and have her interact with Shinji (who's likely unaware that they went to the same school)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 am

There actually is a fic like that. It's called "Aoi".
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:There actually is a fic like that. It's called "Aoi".

Like which of the two? and can I haz link?

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Tue May 16, 2017 2:01 am

Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 16, 2017 3:38 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Izumi from the "Impacts" short survived and is now a low-ranked WILLE member lowkey motivated by avenging the deaths of her friends.

Didn't Izumi leave before the attack? Haruka was the one in the shelter, so I think the other two had better chances of survival.

That said, the ending of the video is ambiguous, and I think it'd be interesting to see them hook up again somewhere later down the road. Yet another reason we need an Eva anthology series for those timeskip years . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 16, 2017 5:38 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Didn't Izumi leave before the attack? Haruka was the one in the shelter, so I think the other two had better chances of survival.

That said, the ending of the video is ambiguous, and I think it'd be interesting to see them hook up again somewhere later down the road. Yet another reason we need an Eva anthology series for those timeskip years . . .

Someone on youtube tried to synch up the battle sounds with the footage from 2.22 (its kinda hard to make out that it's the same sounds because from Mari' PoV we get the epic battle music. It's rather depressing when juxtaposed... especially when you're reminded where Touji, Kensuke and Hikari were - smack dab on the same surface that is all crystalized in Q. )
- The moment the shelter gets crushed pretty much matches the part where Zeruel throws Mari into a pile of buildings/rubble and flattens it seconds after she escapes, so she might well be toast, giving the others better odds.

Though calculating survival odds would depend on knowing just how many outside Tokyo 3 survived, if any at all. If everyone outside the geofront died, Haruka's the only one with a theoretical chance, otherwise "not directly on the battlefield" probably comes with the better odds.
There's a good chance they're ALL toast. Alternatively, there's always those burnt stick figures Shinji sees after Mari helps him out of the shelter - EVA was never shy with the realistic collateral damage shots (including random bisected people in the ep 19 version of Zeruel's attack and, say, those two soldiers squashed under that MP Eva's feet), but collateral damage has never been so... adorable. Or Earworm inducing.

It's kinda chilling to think that they must've ran into the pilots in the hallways of the school, perhaps without knowing who the are - Shinji & Rei are hella introverted and not the sort to know ~everyone~ at school... Asuka might've had the best shot at having heard of them but she was only at the school for a short time in Rebuild verse and this version of her has been read as more overtly aloofish.
I think Haruka & Shinji may actually have gotten along if they'd known each other. I mean, she and her friends named their band after the latest catastrophe (It worked for Rammstein...), and she has that cute space skirt, there's some overlap in their aesthetic there.

I mean, they're basically very minor oneshot characters introduced for the sake of genre shift cute music video, but if ppl give love & fanfictions to Mana and the Jet Alone guy, those 3 are worth some fanfic. I just like the whole "parallel bystander" idea, how they existed in the same universe (even in the Children's vincinity!) with their own, different genre, comparitively mundane little story (and different art style!), until the plot events spell doom to their mundane little hopes & dreams though I wonder if having them directly inteact with the pilots would kinda ruin that. I suppose you could mantain it or not. Or throw in some mention of them as minor BG characters here and there.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 am

Don't forget the massive fleet we saw working with Wille, nor the helicopters supplying them. All of those people had to come from somewhere, and there are too many of them for them all to be from Nerv. And of course, Misato and Ritsuko and the rest survived, so other folks in town have a really good shot.

Basically, compared to Misato and Ritz nearly everyone had better odds, so for the purposes of fanfic you can get away with just about anything on that front. And that's leaving aside the fact that 3I seems to have come after what we saw in 2.xx, which gives ample time for anyone you care to name to get the hell out of Dodge.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 pm

You've heard of "Rei gets to be happy and possibly score with Shinji, but without turning into a generic extrovert". Now get ready for "Somewhich in which Rei deals with the challenges of balancing strong introversion & limited sensitivity for social cues with a relationship" - that is even if she totally learns effects of her upbringing dont dssapear overnight, she retains the basic personality type and is gonna be concerned with the whole identity crisis thing, impending third impact etc, some amount of hard to understand things -
Doesn't have to be LRS specifically (as long as its not AsuRei) or could be purely a friendship scenario/interpretation. Even just something where Shin-chan invites her to hang out with his friends and it doesn't immediately work out, I don't want a grimdark deconstructiony subversive thing here just a plot that doesn't peter out into genericness.

Anima kinda had something like that with an older Rei III temporarily distancing herself from Shin-chan for concern of what hanging around Yui's son means for her uniqueness, but Anima was more action focussed so yeah - I imagine it somewhat like Rin Tezuka's storyline except more from Her PoV or a mixed one.

Mostly because I would find it cathartic. As a teen I was very much in the "Wouldn't even know how to people" bracket, but then I grew up and turns out that while you can grow up/ learn to an extent, starting something isn't really the hard part or at least just the first step. Original Rei never got to the point where that would be an issue because she go blown up as she got past the beginning stage & there was some that she might have joined their group otherwise with her getting that conversation wih Touji, & then TI happened, but hey, that's what fanfic's for.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Question to you folks: what's the age difference between Misato and Kaji?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Question to you folks: what's the age difference between Misato and Kaji?

Wiki says that Kaji's 30 and Misato's 29 so its a year ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu May 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Hm. So it's technically not implausible to portray them as classmates in a highschool AU setting?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu May 25, 2017 8:05 pm

amitakartok wrote:Hm. So it's technically not implausible to portray them as classmates in a highschool AU setting?

Seems plausible enough... with Misato calling him senpai and all would totally make it an interesting read.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 25, 2017 8:15 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Hm. So it's technically not implausible to portray them as classmates in a highschool AU setting?

Would read~

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri May 26, 2017 5:39 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Seems plausible enough... with Misato calling him senpai and all would totally make it an interesting read.

Actually, I was thinking of portraying Misato as a teenage delinquent and problem child (sparked by her family issues) who's tsundere for Kaji.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 26, 2017 5:43 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Actually, I was thinking of portraying Misato as a teenage delinquent and problem child (sparked by her family issues) who's tsundere for Kaji.

That makes perfect sense because I always felt that the reason that Misato and Asuka have so much friction in the series was because they are similar in many ways and I think when Misato looks at Asuka she's looking at her younger self and maybe doesn't like it subconsciously.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 am

amitakartok wrote:Actually, I was thinking of portraying Misato as a teenage delinquent and problem child (sparked by her family issues) who's tsundere for Kaji.

So like the show, but with teenage hormones... will definitely read to see what happens with a delinquent Misato. Do you plan to include a young Ritsuko as well?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri May 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Sadly, Ritsuko would be older this time. Not by much, about... Maya's age.

Return to “Fanfiction”