Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:they could then remake '06 and call it Sonic Adventure 3, since that's pretty much what it is.

Did Sonic '06 have a chao garden, though? That was my favorite part of SA2, and I was really disappointed when Heroes did away with it. Honestly I'd love it if SEGA released a Sonic game that was just a massive chao raising sim made with current-gen technology. I'd pre-order that.
[Redacted]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:11 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Did Sonic '06 have a chao garden, though?

That could be part of the remake! :tongue:

Honestly I'd love it if SEGA released a Sonic game that was just a massive chao raising sim made with current-gen technology. I'd pre-order that.

That would be pretty awesome. Especially if sufficient levels of abuse resulted in your chao evolving into a skyscraper-tall water serpent. :D
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:20 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Holy crap I remember putting hours into both adventure games when I was little on my gamecube. (snip)

I loved playing as Big The Cat.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:39 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:However I must say my friend tricked me into watching Sonic.exe and it killed any likable aspect of Sonic for me. I won't go near another game.

:heehee:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:45 am

What always amazes me is that people find the need to compare Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 with Sonic 06 and find them to be of similar quality. The games had some problems, but it actually felt like Sonic transitioned pretty well to the 3D world. And the Chao garden was amazing. Sonic 06 had the music going for it, but it honestly just wasn't a finished game.

Yet it is still far better than Sonic Boom. This is incredibly sad.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:21 am

View Original PostShoujo Kakumei Asuka wrote:What always amazes me is that people find the need to compare Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 with Sonic 06 and find them to be of similar quality.

Which "people" are these?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:22 am

The game grumps (specifically dan era grumps) and any of their fans because arin despises all sonic and spouts bullshit which dan and the grumps fans believe.
Yeah i know i was trying to avoid posting but just........fuck the GG
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Ah yes, Sanic Hedgeheg. I used to love that bastard when I was a nipper.

I never understood the hatred for Sonic Heroes. Granted I have bias for it as it was my first Mr Needlemouse game (amusingly, my first exposure to Sonic was seeing Sonic X on TV...which people also hated) but the gameplay was fun, if frustrating at times (FUCK YOU POWER PLANT) and the soundtrack was superb. The only really bad part, at least in my opinion, was the godawful voice acting, but then Sonic games have always had awful voice acting.

Also, was I the only one who liked Sonic Riders? It was at the very least a competent kart racing game (much better balanced IMO than most Mario Kart games) and quite a bit of fun.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:01 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I never understood the hatred for Sonic Heroes.

Okay so basically, the reason why people hated it was mainly because you had to play as the same 3 character types four times in a row, at least in order to get the true ending. Each character type (Speed, brawn, and flight) work exactly the same and none of the characters bring anything different to the gameplay. The only difference was that each team was on a different difficulty (ex. Team Dark was for more intermediate players than team Sonic)

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Also, was I the only one who liked Sonic Riders?

I sorta liked Sonic Riders. My sister was in a snowboarding subgenre phase when it came out and played it a lot since the controls were similar, but I mostly played it with her. I just thought the rival characters were annoying at the time though.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:26 pm

Having played a bit more of Sonic Heroes, a lot of its flaws are coming through more sharply and I've lost much of my enthusiasm to play. I think the overall idea is a good one, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

As r1cepurin said, "you had to play as the same 3 character types four times in a row" and "each character type (Speed, brawn, and flight) work exactly the same and none of the characters bring anything different to the gameplay". They could have addressed this by giving every character unique move sets and other parameters, with the red/blue/yellow categories acting as general guidelines only, and having the levels designed differently for each team. Another good touch would have been to NOT force all four teams to play through the levels in the exact same order. Neither Sonic Adventure does this; even Sonic '06 doesn't do this! SA2 was onto something good with its policy of having levels, and level variations, exclusive to one track or another, but AFAIK this concept was never reused.

Still haven't played Sonic Riders, though I do have a copy lying around.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I have a feeling this could be weaponized:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/10/9128767/sonic-dreams-collection-gameplay-make-my-sonic-arcane-kids

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDLXUMm919Y

At first, I would've gone with Ryan just by fan bias alone but then again, I do admire the teenage tone that Jason gives him even if it comes off as dopey at times especially since I played a lot of Sonic '06 back in the day. Martin's voice fits perfect since in the OVA, Sonic was a bit of a smug jerk but it still doesn't sound like something I would want Sonic to sound like. As for Roger, convincingly selling a mature, more adult sounding hedgehog gets points from me, idk if I would put his on higher than Jason's repertoire but it's great material.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:26 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote: SA2 was onto something good with its policy of having levels, and level variations, exclusive to one track or another, but AFAIK this concept was never reused.

Shadow the Hedgehog had a morality system in which the order of your levels and your final ending were based on whether you helped GUN, the Black Arms or just stayed neutral the whole way. IIRC this meant you could go without seeing some levels in one playthrough or access them at different points in time or with different main objectives. For example, you might not go to the Black Meteor Stage if you were on the Neutral path. Unfortunately, since the game itself wasn't really fun enough to encourage a replay, the system didn't really get much recognition (and it was pretty annoying to work with anyway since you had to unlock and watch all 10 endings to get the final level which was an arduous chore).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:14 pm

So...Anyone gonna talk about the newest game coming soon? You know, the 2D one that's going back to it's 16-bit roots? It's being developed by programmers who are massive Sonic fans? It's even coming to the Nintendo Switch, which is pretty rad!

...Guys, I'm talking about Sonic Mania.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:48 am

What's with the long pause?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:55 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:What's with the long pause?
Well, because we're almost near the release date of the newest game that's literally got most of fanbase hyped and no one's talking about it here.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:35 am

Pen-Pen died for your sins!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 18, 2017 8:19 am

Sonic OC Creators: "Crimson the Hedgehog is an original character DO NOT STEAL- goddamit everyone in multiplayer had the same idea."

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed May 24, 2017 3:37 pm

View Original PostSuperUltraMecha wrote:So...Anyone gonna talk about the newest game coming soon? You know, the 2D one that's going back to it's 16-bit roots? It's being developed by programmers who are massive Sonic fans? It's even coming to the Nintendo Switch, which is pretty rad!

...Guys, I'm talking about Sonic Mania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ1SbHLXlH8

I wish they'd hurry up and release Sonic Mania as I want so badly to get it on steam or pc disc because its the return to the classic 2D platform. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Today, I got Sonic Forces for PS4. TBH, IDK what is wrong with the critics saying the game sucks when it helps that my heyday of Sonic playing rested with Adventures 1 and 2 as well as '06 however flawed the latter one was. Playing as the Rookie and Classic Sonic are all fine but when you grew up on Modern Sonic doing the Spin Dash and Boost through countless enemies, you tend to pick a favorite pretty quickly. As for the voices, I noted Rouge is really going for the seductive belle of the ball angle with her sounding like she's getting heated in a certain way while calmly making quotes... I need a new hobby! :facepalm:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”