Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby Ray » Fri May 19, 2017 5:25 pm

In the Ultimate Comics the Symbiote was created by Eddie Brock in a Lab as a bio-engineered Cancer treatment. They did it because at the point in the story Aliens hadn't been introduced into the Ultimate U yet, so they were trying to make the Symbiote something a little less alien and a little more grounded in what had already been established in the story so far (Peters Father, Oscorp, The Genetic Engineering technobabble from characters like Kraven and The Vulture).
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I found the Ultimate version sloppy and confusing.

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 19, 2017 7:15 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I found the Ultimate version sloppy and confusing.

Well, Ultimates. The project was helmed by Mark Millar, so it could hardly be anything but.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, Ultimates. The project was helmed by Mark Millar, so it could hardly be anything but.

The Ultimate Venom stuff was in Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis which is universally loved except the arcs after directly after Ultimatum.
Even it's version of the clone saga is considered well done.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'd love it if the have Sgt. Rock and the Howling Commandos Easy Company in there.

I would actually like to see the Haunted Tank myself.

If I could take a minute and ask a question about the MCU, I'm wondering if I could see any of the movies and not be out of the loop (of all of them, I've only seen the first Iron Man movie) or do I have to see any particular movies first? I know that there is a great deal of interconnectivity between all the films, which is putting me off. In that regard, they seem to be getting more like the comics they are based on where you are always in the middle of something.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 pm

You can watch Guardians Of The Galaxy without having to have watched any of the other movies.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 am

In addition to tne Guardians being their own thing, the first in any of the solo movie series is usually standalone. So Thor and Captain America don't really reference the others. Thor is the second most standalone after Guardians; neither the Cap nor Iron Man sequels can be properly understood without watching the Avengers movies.

While Guardians and its sequel are basically off doing their own thing, they actually reference the most obscure Marvel lore of any of the movies.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Spider-Man Homecoming theme song is the Spider-Man theme song: http://www.slashfilm.com/michael-giacch ... ing-theme/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 20, 2017 5:21 pm

That's refreshing. In my view the score was the greatest weakness of ASM and it didn't have a real theme anywhere in it.

I feel the same way about the Marvel movies- I can't hum a tune that I identify with any of their characters the way I can with Batman or Superman.

I'm still a big fan of Elfman's score from the Raimi movie. I feel it somehow captures the unique blend of exciting, tragic, personal, and operatic that is encompassed within the idea of Spider-Man.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 pm

I was expecting more of a brass lead in the music, but I love the fact that it's the old theme song. If they get a choir on it, that would be totally dope.

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 20, 2017 8:53 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I was expecting more of a brass lead in the music, but I love the fact that it's the old theme song. If they get a choir on it, that would be totally dope.

That's a good point; I can't even see a brass section in that video (though I can hear it). That's kind of weird now that I think about it.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon May 22, 2017 2:21 am

It seems they're taking a lot Traditionally Superman elements and applying them to Wondy.

As seen in this new poster, and what inspired it.

SPOILER: Show

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 22, 2017 3:06 am

View Original PostRay wrote:It seems they're taking a lot Traditionally Superman elements and applying them to Wondy.

As seen in this new poster, and what inspired it.

Look harder,, as that's a traditionally WW pose, too. Here, take your pick.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 am

I think it's just the post taken by anyone who can even lift, bro.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Holy shit: http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/05/22/zack ... e-league-/

Zack Snyder's daughter committed suicide, so he's stepping down from Justice League. Whedon to finish up the project.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 22, 2017 5:40 pm

I feel crass for saying this, but: I'm less excited for this now than ever. Fuck Joss Whedon and his foot fetishes and bland, boring, soap opera directing style. I can't think of anyone who would clash with Snyder more and I'm baffled as to why they chose him to complete this film other than attaching his name to it might help at the box office because nerds adore him for some reason.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 22, 2017 5:48 pm

I'd typically agree, but the movie's already in post-production. There's no more on-set directing to be done.

Also, I still feel awful about all this. I mean, the girl died in March, and he's only taking time off now. This whole thing feels sickening and weird. I'm not judging Snyder. I have no idea what kind of pressures he must have been through. I just don't know what he must have been thinking.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Jesus Christ, Zack lost his mom right before Bvs and now this...

Chuckman, yeah surprised they didn't get Matt Reeves.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'd typically agree, but the movie's already in post-production. There's no more on-set directing to be done.

Also, I still feel awful about all this. I mean, the girl died in March, and he's only taking time off now. This whole thing feels sickening and weird. I'm not judging Snyder. I have no idea what kind of pressures he must have been through. I just don't know what he must have been thinking.

There are some new scenes that are being filmed still to do.

On Snyder it sounds like he tried to burn through the grief with work, form of procrastinating denial.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 22, 2017 6:25 pm

He probably tried to power through it and had a breakdown. I sympathize.

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 pm

"The show must go on" is one of the most horrible sentiments to ever invade human consciousness. Let the show stop. It's not going anywhere, and it doesn't have to happen now. People will watch it if it's good; there are no unknowns there, that's just how we are. So if a tragedy happens during production, let it stop, let everyone do what they need to do, and let them come back to it later if they can. Because this is the alternative, and it really, really sucks.

I haven't had much in the way of positivity to offer re: Snyder's work, but I hope he gets through this okay. No one deserves that kind of loss; it's just insane, and I can't even imagine what he's going through right now.
Last edited by Bagheera on Mon May 22, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Film and Video”