[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 08, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear some adults are so repressed.

The timing of this movie is actually brilliant exactly because that original generation of kids is all grown up now. It'll appeal to their nostalgia while introducing it to a new generation of kids. I know I want to see it, and I expect nothing more than poop jokes and toilet humor. That's the entire point.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon May 08, 2017 8:30 pm

My parents wouldn't let me read them.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon May 08, 2017 8:51 pm

I agree with Sachi on this one. I read the first ... fiver Captain Underpants books at around age 10/11, and as they were the among the few books I read seriously then I feel it's rather good that the series has been adapted into an animated film. I do remember feeling some cringe about the content itself, though frankly I feel that's more of a feature of the genre (comedy-inclined children's literature) than of this franchise specifically.

From the clip that Sachi linked, it looks as though Dreamworks is on point about the look and feel of the story. If it's good or flat as a theatrical film is another question. I guess I'll find out, I figure I could go see it given the other options for cinema outings in the month ahead appear rather dry by comparison.
Voluntary Illusion.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat May 13, 2017 12:55 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgL9pbDL ... e=youtu.be

If there's a single person can give a kids movie some legitimacy it's definitely Weird Al Yankovic.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Halloween movie news... saying exactly what I didn't want to hear about their interpretation of Myers. :irked:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/13 ... en-reboot/

Look at where the Halloween franchise has gone. There’s a lot of room for improvement. David and I are coming from it as, we are horror fans, and we are humongous fans of John Carpenter and of what he did with the original Halloween, so I think from watching this and being disappointed by other versions of this series, I think we’re just trying to strip it down and just take it back to what was so good about the original.”

It was just very simple and just achieved that level of horror that wasn’t corny and it wasn’t turning Michael Myers into some supernatural being that couldn’t be killed. That stuff to me isn’t scary. I want to be scared by something that I really think could happen.

I think it’s much more horrifying to be scared by someone standing in the shadows while you’re taking the trash out as opposed to someone who can’t be killed pursuing you.”

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun May 14, 2017 12:02 am

What's wrong with a more realistic Mike Myers? That all sounds good to me.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 am

Nothing in what McBride says sounds like a negative. It sounds like the proper course correction for this never-ending franchise & frankly I trust Danny McBride as a writer & David Gordon Green as a director (both great down to earth guys who I've had the pleasure of spending time with) who both have strong sensibilities & are able to match their writing/directing to fit whatever genre they're playing around in. There's certainly more prospects here than in Rob Zombie's garbage remake series which was doomed from the start because of his garbage sensibilities - Michael is scary because he's inherently evil, finding out he's a 1-dimensional Rob Zombie stand-in who went crazy because he was called names by his 1-dimensional White Trash family isn't interesting.

And seeing as there hasn't been a good or even decent proper HALLOWEEN movie in over 30 years I don't see what there is to get upset about.

What exactly were you expecting/hoping for? Halloween in Space? Michael Myers by Doctor Who?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 14, 2017 12:47 am

The problem with Michael Myers is that he isn't like Jason or Freddy or even the Xenomorph. He's not flexible because he's so straightforward. He's just an ordinary serial killer. He doesn't have Supernatural reincarnation abilities or the ability to lay eggs to spawn countless numbers of himself. That's great for a stand-alone horror movie ( just look at the success of Don't Breathe, and The Shallows) but it's not great for a franchise. Make no mistake if this is a success that's exactly what the studio will try to do. But it won't work. Because once an ordinary serial killer has been beaten and killed by his would-be victim, that's it You'll never see him again, franchise over. While I don't think the Halloween remake is destined to fail. What can the filmmakers honestly expect to do that the first movie didn't do better?
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 14, 2017 12:50 am

The Rob Zombie movies are terrible. I'm not being my ironic hipster self here, I'm being honest. I dislike all of his movies (that I've seen) and to me they're all disjointed wrecks with no internal logic, characterization, or plot, just a long string of weird for the sake of weird with no interesting or redeeming qualities. The imagery isn't poetic or alluring and doesn't inspire interpretation or analysis. He just makes really long music videos with gore and his wife's tits.

His Halloween movies are no different. I have no idea what the fuck is going on in the second one and I don't see any reason to care. The first one takes John Carpenter's effective use of the unknown and shits all over it with a laborious explanation that makes Michael Meyers boring and plodding, by contrast with the effective horror of The Shape- a faceless expression of pointless, relentless cruelty that is genuinely scary because he is undefined.

You can't really add anything to Michael Meyers. Halloween is a very lean and almost minimalistic movie. Adding to it kills the charm. That's the reason I never saw Carpenter's own sequel.

Zombie's movies remind me of someone whose seen the work of Carpenter, Lynch, Craven, etc and is trying to be too hard to be all of them at once. It's like throwing a bunch of classic horror in a blender with unfunny hillbilly humor and overacting.

He seems like a really nice guy tho.

@Ray I think the Nightmare remake deserves some credit. It was almost perfect except for one critical flaw: they made Freddy guilty. It would have been an awesome twist on they original if the new Freddy was an innocent man and the evil spirit was an embodiment of the parent's own fears.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 14, 2017 1:18 am

You didn't even like House of a Thousand Corpses?
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 14, 2017 1:41 am

I didn't like it at all.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 14, 2017 11:25 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Halloween movie news... saying exactly what I didn't want to hear about their interpretation of Myers. :irked:

That all sounds pretty great to me, to be honest. And it means one of two things for future movies: either they'll focus on new antagonists for each one, or there won't be a franchise. Either option is a win.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon May 15, 2017 1:44 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:What's wrong with a more realistic Mike Myers? That all sounds good to me.

That is what Zombie tried & it wasn't scary or unnerving.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:What exactly were you expecting/hoping for? Halloween in Space? Michael Myers by Doctor Who?

I want him to be a originless unstoppable phantom again as he was in 1,2 & 4.

View Original PostRay wrote:1.) The problem with Michael Myers is that he isn't like Jason or Freddy or even the Xenomorph. He's not flexible because he's so straightforward. He's just an ordinary serial killer. He doesn't have Supernatural reincarnation abilities or the ability to lay eggs to spawn countless numbers of himself.

2.) While I don't think the Halloween remake is destined to fail. What can the filmmakers honestly expect to do that the first movie didn't do better?

1.) Except he isn't a ordinary killer. He isn't a zombie, or a ghost but he is near unlikable short of beheading/bodily destruction.
A normal human can't take 6 point blank rounds of 38.special/357.magnum as Myers did at the end of 1 & keep going much less for hours & then take 6 more & keep going at the end of 2.
This was already more or less in place in the original with Carpenter or Donald I can't recall who opting to change the ending slightly to have Loomis not looked shocked after seeing that Myers has disappeared after shooting him off the 2nd story roof because it's entirely expected. He meant the boogeyman line literally. Myers is evil incarnate.

2.) It's a sequel/reboot to the 1st 2 films not a remake.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

The Dark Crystal prequel series is coming out on Netflix and there creating it with puppets ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 pm

That movie creeped the hell out of me as a kid, but I eventually grew to love it. This is exciting news indeed.
- Sachi

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 18, 2017 3:37 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

The Dark Crystal prequel series is coming out on Netflix and there creating it with puppets ^_^

Yay!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Hayao Miyazaki is officially about to go into production on his 6th FINAL film. Looking like a 2020 release.
Due to his age I'm guessing this could actually be his FINAL final film but you never know.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-05-19/hayao-miyazaki-final-film-begins-3-year-production-in-october/.116312

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Okja

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

A story about a girl, her pet pig, and an evil super conglomerate that abducted him to try and make Super Pigs to feed millions.

Starring Tilda Swinton Jake Gyllenhaal and Steven Yeun. And directed by the guy who did Snowpiercer.

I'm really looking forward to this because we haven't really gotten a lot of social commentary Sci-Fi. We've gotten the occasional gem in the dross like ex machina or Wall E. But this one looks like it's going to be going after some rather controversial topics by comparison. The factory farm meat industry and animal rights activists.

I can dig it.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 24, 2017 9:55 pm

SUPER excited for Luc Besson's Valerian & the City of a Thousand Planets. Already prepared to be crushed when it massively flops due to modern audiences having little to no interest in non-franchise/non-safe big budget cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9BrQrkPWr4

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 pm

I loved The Fifth Element so I'll def be swing that on the big screen in 3D.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”