How would the characters react to Shinji's death?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

How would the characters react to Shinji's death?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:26 pm

I know that it never happened during the series, but let's think of it as some sort of "what if" scenario.
What if to say, Shinji where to die at some point, weather it was during the series or Rebuild. How do you think it would affect the other characters?

For me personally, I bet Misato would be pretty devastated. (Not sure about her 3.33 counterpart) Gendo probably wouldn't care. Rei would be sad as well(though at first, she wouldn't be sure how to feel.). As for Asuka, well, it's a little uncertain how she would react to it. But considering that she never seems to care about him, I bet she'd be somewhat glad that he'd be out her way since she sees him as nothing more than a competition.

I've given my thoughts, what are yours?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: How would the characters react to Shinji's death?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 14, 2017 4:57 pm

You get to see Misato reacting to Shinji's death in episode 20. (Far as she knows, he's gone and never coming back.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Sun May 14, 2017 5:34 pm

What characters? , We have a list here.

Misato: Try to count how many times she said "Shinji-kun!" At times of danger from our protagonist in this show.

Rei: Tears.

Asuka: She would have been sad if Shinji had died, she really looks cold and mean in some situations where Shinji almost died (episodes 16 and a commentary in episode 22), but I believe she had feelings for the boy.

Ritsuko: It would be curious the reaction, Ritsuko is not postgraduate in the matter of coldness like Gendo.

Gendo: If you tell EoE and the moment of 3I, Gendo might be sad for Shinji, this would not be visible externally of course.

Fuyutsuky: I can only think that this one would experience a note of regret, he would have thought of how Yui would be sad about it.

Hyuuga, Aoba and Maya: Deeply sad.

Kaji: The same as Fuyutsuky, but by Misato.

Kensuke, Toji and Hikari: Sad, very sad.

Penpen: '' It's a good thing I'm Misato's favorite again ''
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:04 am

Misato: Try to count how many times she said "Shinji-kun!" At times of danger from our protagonist in this show.

I believe she said that more than a dozen times in the show.
Rei: Tears.

Yeah, seems likely, once she understood what the emotion was.
Asuka: She would have been sad if Shinji had died, she really looks cold and mean in some situations where Shinji almost died (episodes 16 and a commentary in episode 22), but I believe she had feelings for the boy.

Huh. I have been under the impression that she doesn't care about the boy(or anyone) at all. So I think that she wouldn't seem too sad about it, or she'll just cover it up with her calloused attitude, which is to be expected of her. But I think the former might be plausible of her as well.
Ritsuko: It would be curious the reaction, Ritsuko is not postgraduate in the matter of coldness like Gendo.

Well, I figured she won't be quite as upset as some of the others, but would still feel pretty bad about it nonetheless.
Gendo: If you tell EoE and the moment of 3I, Gendo might be sad for Shinji, this would not be visible externally of course.

That may be so. But that still doesn't excused​ him of how cold-hearted he's been.
Fuyutsuky: I can only think that this one would experience a note of regret, he would have thought of how Yui would be sad about it.

I figured his thoughts would be "I'm sorry, Yui.".
Hyuuga, Aoba and Maya: Deeply sad.

Yeah, frankly so.
Kaji: The same as Fuyutsuky, but by Misato.

Yeah, I think he'd feel pretty bad about too.
Kensuke, Toji and Hikari: Sad, very sad.

Yep, as any good friends would be.
Penpen: '' It's a good thing I'm Misato's favorite again ''

This is a joke, right?

Nahash
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nahash » Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Sorry, really sorry, but I could not help myself.
SPOILER: Show
The following will make you relativize your notions of unfunnys to such an extent that you'd end to think that the torture of children is funny.(Although, it is probably already the case if you frequent this forum.)

SPOILER: Show
This morning, the third children, Shinji Ikari is dead.
It was one of 3 pilots of Evangelions.
Giant robots supposed to protect us from the terrible threat of angels.
We went to Japan to know the reaction of his relations and to learn more about his death.
First, we headed for NERV headquarters to learn about the reactions of Eva's other pilots and Shinji Ikari's father, Gendo Ikari, who is also the commander of the NERV.

Reporter:“What feelings arouse in you, the death of your friend?”

Asuka:“Relief! No one can stop me from becoming the best eva pilot! Wait… But if there is no one to compete with me, then the title of best eva pilot is worthless. Why did you die?! Baka! Comes back to life, that's an order!”

Reporter:“What feelings arouse in you, the death of your friend?”

Rei:“Feelings? Friend? I don't know. But it's strange, he still has not respawn.”

Then we go upstairs to meet the father of Shinji Ikari. We are welcomed by a scientist, Ritsuko Akagi.

Reporter:“What feelings arouse in you, the death of Shinji Ikari?”

Ritsuko:“Such a waste.”

Reporter:“And you Mr. Ikari?”

Gendo:“…”

Reporter:“Excuse me? I did not hear?”

Fuyutsuki:“Poor boy… Listen. Even though it may seem cold. I think he's emotionally hurt deep inside him. You should leave him alone. He needs rest. Is not that Gendo?”

Gendo:“…”

Fuyutsuki:“Oh god. He sleep…”

On the advice of the NERV Vice-Commanding Officer. We leave the headquarters of the NERV to head for the Tokyo-3's school. This will allow us to learn more about the reaction of Shinji Ikari's friends. We arrive then as the class has just begun.

Teacher:“My students, your classmate, Shinji Ikari, was found dead this morning. This is sad news. It reminds me when my own son died during the second impact ...”

The teacher allows us to talk with the closest friends of Shinji Ikari.

Toji: “Shinji… is dead... How weak! *Manly tears* These fucking angels they got it!”

Kensuke: “Angels rarely wander with a rifle.”

Reporter & Toji:“What?”

Kensuke: “You don't know any of this? Shinji was shot in the head. He was not killed by an angel.”

Following this amazing discovery we ask him where it was the crime. He indicates the address of an apartment inhabited by a lady named Misato.

Reporter:“Ms. Misato, is it true that Shinji Ikari died in your apartment?”

Misato:“I know, needless to remind. * Burp * Can you give me another beer? They are in the fridge.”

Kaji:“Misato, it is not good to drown his sorrows in liquor.
There are much healthier ways to do it...”

We were forced to leave the apartment for private reasons.

It seems that we have interviewed all the relatives of Shinji Ikari. However, to broaden our horizon. We asked for passers-by on the street. And we discovered surprising reactions, like this man who does not seem so worried about this death.

Strange hooded man :“I TRY TO SEE THE BRIGHT SIDE, AFTER ALL, DEAD BOYS DON'T CRY!”

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Well, he gets some close enough calls in episodes 16 and 20.

Misato: *sobbing mess*
Asuka: "Haha less Competition! Serves him right for being a weakling! Why is everybody whining about him instead of paying attenton to me, who didn't get herself blown up?"
If there was grief tho, it would probably be the angry "Don't you dare die on me baka" sort. Or perhaps she'd go through distinct stages.
Ritsuko: Relatively detached/technical about it but would still sorta courteously appreciate that it's unfortunate
Rei: Pent up knot of feels that she can't quite process & would explode at the next person to talk crap about him - I presume long-term she'd grab a keepsake & otherwise go into full reclusive mode again.

As for the characters we didn't get clear reaction shots from... well, clearly his classmates would be sad & have pretty much normal reactions like, Touji would likely smash something. Maya would cry & be horrified because she's the sort to react to needless loss of life; The other bridge bunnies would be mildly sad too.
I suppose Kaji would react with some somber, subdued kind of sadness, Gendo would obviously not show a thing in public but be crushed in private, perhaps lowkey guilty but highkey seeing it as a 'necessary sacrifice' (because let's face it he's probably the one responsible), & basically have yet more motivation to throw himself into his work.
IMHO one interesting & unclear thing to consider is what Yui would do, as it would mean her whole plan is derailed and I think she generally underestimated the negative impacts her plan would have on her family, perhaps under the rationale that it's better than whatever SEELE has in store for them.
She could go into apocalyptic meltdown, simply readjust her plan, or just refuse to have EVA 01 budge ever again - We've never really seen her caught off guard so it's hard to judge how she'd react if anything were to happen to Shinji - or to Gendo for that matter.
If Shinji were to kick his bucket in his EVA there's a chance she's dead, too, or that she'd be in a situation where she failed to protect him - She must've been pretty sure that she'd at least be powerful enough to keep him from being physically maimed by the angels.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Asuka: "Haha less Competition! Serves him right for being a weakling! Why is everybody whining about him instead of paying attenton to me, who didn't get herself blown up?"

Hmm. That would seem like Asuka. How typical of her. I wonder if there's any caring side of her underneath that "front" that she puts up.
If there was grief tho, it would probably be the angry "Don't you dare die on me baka" sort. Or perhaps she'd go through distinct stages.

Which stages are we talking about here?
Gendo would obviously not show a thing in public but be crushed in private, perhaps lowkey guilty but highkey seeing it as a 'necessary sacrifice' (because let's face it he's probably the one responsible), & basically have yet more motivation to throw himself into his work.

He may not show it, that's for sure. However, I don't think he cares enough for his own son's well being.

The rest, you mentioned, I think I agree on.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 15, 2017 5:36 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Asuka: "Haha less Competition! Serves him right for being a weakling! Why is everybody whining about him instead of paying attenton to me, who didn't get herself blown up?"

You might want to take another look at episodes 16 and 20, as her reaction in both cases was a bit more nuanced than what you're describing here. Take a look at her room in ep 20, for example; far from crowing about his death she appears to be completely breaking down. There were other reasons for that, of course, but his disappearance certainly didn't help her mindset.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Which stages are we talking about here?

Something like "Haha!" first and "angry grief" later after the reality of it sinks in; It's a possibility simply because in both those occasions Shinji was only presumed dead, it didn't get to the point where they formally told her he was 100% certainly irretrievably gone.

As for ep 20 I see no reason to presume any other reason for the room thrashing than the one she gives: Her defeat in battle. But, I admit that's interpretation/ can't be ruled out.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:06 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: Take a look at her room in ep 20, for example; far from crowing about his death she appears to be completely breaking down. There were other reasons for that, of course, but his disappearance certainly didn't help her mindset.

So I take that Shinji's disappearance affected Asuka as well? And to think that she never cared about him in the first place.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:So I take that Shinji's disappearance affected Asuka as well? And to think that she never cared about him in the first place.

Well, we plainly see that she does in episodes 16 and 22' at least, and there's no way EoE went down as it did without some amount of feeling there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:14 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Something like "Haha!" first and "angry grief" later after the reality of it sinks in; It's a possibility simply because in both those occasions Shinji was only presumed dead, it didn't get to the point where they formally told her he was 100% certainly irretrievably gone.

Yeah, I've always been interested in how much it would affect Asuka, if she even has feelings for the poor boy she'd mistreated in the first place.
As for ep 20 I see no reason to presume any other reason for the room thrashing than the one she gives: Her defeat in battle. But, I admit that's interpretation/ can't be ruled out.

Her defeat in battle and for the fact that she lost to Shinji again is the most likely reason.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, we plainly see that she does in episodes 16 and 22' at least, and there's no way EoE went down as it did without some amount of feeling there.

Hmmmm... I wonder what I missed there. :chinscratch:

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Tue May 16, 2017 5:11 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Hmmmm... I wonder what I missed there. :chinscratch:

I do not blame you, Asuka almost begs us to think she's an insensitive demon, seriously, I even started to wonder now, she's never REALLY kind to Shinji at any moment, but if Shinji dies, come on, I will not I can think she'd be so cold.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”