Manga bonus chapter and 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
petina
Embryo

Manga bonus chapter and 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby petina » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 am

I'm sure this has been discussed here at some point, but I just wanted to point out something. So, in the manga's bonus chapter, we see Yui and Mari working together in school. This is, of course, very weird, but it's the manga, so we ignore it because it's an alternate story. However, I feel like this story explains the extremely Mari-like person in the photo Fuyutsuki shows Shinji in 3.0, which has led me to the conclusion that the manga's bonus chapter is tied to the Rebuild story somehow...? I dunno, like I said I'm sure this has been discussed already.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Manga bonus chapter and 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:52 am

Mari actually knew Yui and Gendo and is roughly the same age (this would explain her referring to Gendo as "Gendo-Kun" in 3.0) but her body has been kept youthful due to the Curse of Eva...At least that's my theory.

But who knows? Anno could end up doing almost nothing of significant importance with her, much like he's done with her the past two films.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:25 am

The bonus chapter is not in the film continuity, clearly evidenced by the use of "Yui Ikari" and "Gendo Rokubungi" (versus "Yui Ayanami" and "Gendo Ikari"). It's just Sadamoto having fun with the characters by creating a manga-verse version of Mari who played a small role in Yui's past.

Mari is implied to be a physiologically normal girl at the onset of 2.0. This is done by having her distinguish herself from adults (cf. what she says after the Third Angel and Eva-05 are destroyed) and also, more subtly, by having her complain about the tightness of her current plugsuit. Since plugsuits shrink to fit, it admittedly seems odd that it would be too tight around her chest specifically, but perhaps this is because of built-in breast support. The implication being that when Mari was initially fitted for her suit, her chest was smaller, and she's undergone subsequent development since then, like teenage girls tend to do. We're told that the sortie in Eva-05 is Mari's first live Eva experience; and as early as her second, Eva-02 versus the Tenth, Mari risks a deep plug depth to activate Beast Mode, and is subsequently affected by the Curse of Eva.

The woman in the photo is almost certainly Mari's mother -- a Dr. Makinami, perhaps. Mari would have become acquainted with Gendo as a result of accompanying her mother to work. Referring to a colleague of her mom's as "Gendo-kun" rather than "Ikari-san" or something does seem rather odd, and I wonder what the not-crazy Japanese interpretation would be. My best guess is that this signifies Mari was a rather precocious youngster. Kaji does comment on her reputation as a troublemaker, as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Mari is implied to be a physiologically normal girl at the onset of 2.0. This is done by having her distinguish herself from adults (cf. what she says after the Third Angel and Eva-05 are destroyed) and also, more subtly, by having her complain about the tightness of her current plugsuit. [...] We're told that the sortie in Eva-05 is Mari's first live Eva experience; and as early as her second, Eva-02 versus the Tenth, Mari risks a deep plug depth to activate Beast Mode, and is subsequently affected by the Curse of Eva.

^This.

IMHO Sadamoto just tried to shoehorn her in somehow, for completeness' sake, and subcumbed to the same "overdramatizing the characters" trap he fell in occasonally (Murder!Ritsuko, Gendo... etc.)- really, "fake lesbian crush that is really a daughter complex"? Contrived and not like wlw attraction works, or glasses, for that matter,plus, another child prodigy really? Kinda sensationalistic - Plus, original Mari is somewhat distinguished by "dorie-esque, ut-feelsy/simple" approach to philosophizing at Shinji , as opposed to Kaworu's barely comperehensible highbrow metaphor talk. And never mind Mari, IMHO the real waste potential in that chapter is Yui. At first it seems up like they're setting up a human side there but it never went anywhere.

I'd concur that this is likely Mari's mom on the photo, who brought Mari along with her hence how she knows Gendo - Or Mari's just irrevent.

This idea that she IS barette Lady just seems like an offshoot of those theories who want Mari to be some contrived reveal instead of just, y'know, "A standoffish, idiosyncratic, yet heroic girl who knows way more than she lets on". (The "kid from the future" theory anyways?) - Making her hail from england and the half-baked CR backstory ideas and the discussions about how to have her stand apart to contrast the other two seems to suggest that no such thing was planned.

Personally though I doubt that Final will have time to squeeze this out at lenght, there's just an interesting parallelism there, with both Shinji and Mari being the kid's of GEHIRN/SEELE inner circle and starting out as "unskilled but strong" naturals at EVA piloting, except Mari knew what's up, possibly because Mommy told her/ had a different approach to "conspiracy parenting".
- In the end there wasn't so much one person could do (well, she stopped 4I but, everyone's supposedly playing into Gendo's hand and NTI happened) and Mari did learn specialized combat over the time skip.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:45 am

The woman in the photo is almost certainly Mari's mother -- a Dr. Makinami, perhaps.

Really? I thought that was Mari in the photo.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 13, 2017 6:55 am

Why would you think it was Mari?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why would you think it was Mari?

Weeell, the woman looked kinda like Mari, and most people assumed it was her. So I kinda went with it. Plus, the bonus manga chapter seems to support that theory.
And I remember from the Tumblr post about the casts, and one of them mentioned that "Mari's origin can explained from simply watching 3.0". So I assumed that was that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 13, 2017 12:31 pm

It's an older woman who resembles Mari, so, logically, her mom. No evidence that the manga chapter has anything to do with the films, nor that Mari is any older than she appears in 2.0. Simplest explanation tends to be the best one.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat May 13, 2017 12:38 pm

I always thought the lady more resembled Asuka. :bigeyes:

EDIT: relevant discussion: thread/14306/The-Photograph/
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Hopefully, we get to know who that woman is in the final film.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:I always thought the lady more resembled Asuka. :bigeyes:

EDIT: relevant discussion: thread/14306/The-Photograph/

I say she's unrelated to both of them, and is just some schlub who worked with Yui and was squeeing over her kid.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I say she's unrelated to both of them, and is just some schlub who worked with Yui and was squeeing over her kid.

"Aww Yui-san, your baby is so adorable. I wonder what he'll do once he grows up..." *cue Impact sounds*
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am

My question is: did she conceive her plan after having a baby, or conceive a baby to carry out her plan.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:My question is: did she conceive her plan after having a baby, or conceive a baby to carry out her plan.

I'm still wondering if she even had a plan in the NTE!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 am

It seems to me that the resemblance to both Asuka and Mari is intentional, and therefore there must be some connection between them and that lady. That lady may also be the link that connects their back stories as well. Maybe Asuka really was a test-tube baby this time around and Mari is her long lost biological sister. Maybe they only share the mother, and different fathers/donors explains their different features and nationalities.

Who knows. If it's addressed at all, it'll likely be a very minor detail.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 pm

^Interesting theory.
Maybe that would explain the dynamics between Asuka and Mari, like how Mari likes to tease Asuka and causing her to act so annoyed. And they seem to know each other so well.
Hopefully the final film will give us a bit more insights or clues on who that woman was.

3erImpacto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 3erImpacto » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:09 am

Reichu wrote:It's an older woman who resembles Mari, so, logically, her mom. No evidence that the manga chapter has anything to do with the films, nor that Mari is any older than she appears in 2.0. Simplest explanation tends to be the best one.

Nevertheless, why is she referring to the commander as Gendo-kun constantly and not Ikari-san? Please review Japanese honorific titles as they are extremely important, as opposed to westerners. This only happens if she’s older or at least the same age.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:27 am

View Original Post3erImpacto wrote:Nevertheless, why is she referring to the commander as Gendo-kun constantly and not Ikari-san? Please review Japanese honorific titles as they are extremely important, as opposed to westerners. This only happens if she’s older or at least the same age.

Please don't assume I'm unfamiliar with something I've known about for over twenty years. A presumptive and condescending first post isn't a good start.

The explanation for "Gendo-kun" comes from a combination of Mari's implied backstory along with her established personality. Mari treats adults as an other (see: her very first scene), suggesting she is highly precocious, and Kaji refers to her as a troublemaker. Mari's mother being at the Artificial Evolution Laboratory indicates that Mari was there as well, which also explains how Mari knows Shinji and why she regards him fondly (despite Shinji's early childhood memories being erased, hence why he doesn't remember her). The simplest explanation here is that Mari was, well, a troublemaker who did not follow established social convention, and she treated a grown-up like Gendo no different than she'd treat a same-aged or younger boy. "You're not Chief Ikari. You're Gendo-kun! :nyao: " Things get a bit more interesting when you take into account the fact that Mari might have a VERY good reason to put herself above adults.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”