So, was emo Asuka really trying to be AN HERO in #24?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:What matters most are her motives during the scene. She had gone there to literally waste away and die; she had lost the motivation to live on. Regardless of whether or not she cut herself, the scene is still Asuka's suicide attempt and where she's hit rock bottom (where we see Shinji during EoE). The red color of the bath tub may simply be a visual allusion to the "Roman Bath."

QFT.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 pm

I will note two things here:

First, she's in a bathtub. That's an odd choice if she's just gonna lay down and die (she could do that anywhere, so why a dirty bathtub?). OTOH it's the locale of choice for folks looking to slit their wrists.

Second, she folded her clothes (neatly no less!). That's extremely odd behavior from Asuka, particularly given her state of mind at the time. But again, it's fairly typical for people looking to check out.

IMO this is, as with other things in the show, something Anno's telling us with subtlety rather than brute force.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:11 pm

You might debate the blood streak, but you can't deny that she looks like an anorexic skeleton.
Her ribs show, her cheeks are gaunt and you could fit a train between her legs.

At best, this is a debate over the suicide method.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:You might debate the blood streak, but you can't deny that she looks like an anorexic skeleton.
Her ribs show, her cheeks are gaunt and you could fit a train between her legs.

At best, this is a debate over the suicide method.

Pretty much, to be honest i don't know if there is something left to discuss in this thread. Although i wonder why Asuka attempting suicide could be interpreted as her trying to be "An HERO" going by the thread title.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 pm

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/an-hero

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/an-hero

It is an odd notion, though. I mean, given the way she did it, it's pretty much the exact opposite of everything the meme represents. Even asking the question is a bit puzzling.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:15 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It is an odd notion, though. I mean, given the way she did it, it's pretty much the exact opposite of everything the meme represents. Even asking the question is a bit puzzling.

While its origin is a very precise type of suicide it's synonymous with "suicide". I don't think I've ever heard someone make the distinction between the two. Then again I haven't seen it used besides an offhand remark in years so maybe that's changed.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:At best, this is a debate over the suicide method.

This.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It is an odd notion, though. I mean, given the way she did it, it's pretty much the exact opposite of everything the meme represents. Even asking the question is a bit puzzling.

I think OP was being ironic, and the meme is pretty much used ironically.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:54 am

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:I think OP was being ironic, and the meme is pretty much used ironically.

View Original PostShin-seiki wrote:I put "emo" in the subject field cuz someone in the 'THAT BOARD' thread that inspired this one refered to her that way. I'm afraid constant exposure to 4chan has warped my sensiblities to the point where I just naturally equate suicide with "become AN HERO"..
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Anno has been known to change scenes in later versions of NGE in order to push fans away from certain ideas, particularly in cutting out Misato's name after Kaji dies to stop fans from continuing to think she killed him.

To this end, perhaps he changed some of Asuka's details while she was in the hospital bed (which arm the IV is in, bandages around the wrist) in order to push us toward or away from a particular idea.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:53 pm

That's a very good observation actually. Although unfortunately we can't know for sure if Anno tried to move us in a certain direction or if he just polished the animation a bit. A comparation between the original and Renewal (or whatever) versions could maybe help in that, plus it's a good excuse to watch NGE again.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:09 pm

View Original PostLurkis wrote:Anno has been known to change scenes in later versions of NGE in order to push fans away from certain ideas, particularly in cutting out Misato's name after Kaji dies to stop fans from continuing to think she killed him.

To this end, perhaps he changed some of Asuka's details while she was in the hospital bed (which arm the IV is in, bandages around the wrist) in order to push us toward or away from a particular idea.

I would think the more relevant change is the fact that he emphasized the red in the tub. In the broadcast version it didn't look like blood at all.

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:09 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I would think the more relevant change is the fact that he emphasized the red in the tub. In the broadcast version it didn't look like blood at all.

Yea I forgot about that one but I you're right. It makes it more obvious that she was indeed trying to off herself. Good thing Anno made it more evident as it is an important plot point.

Thomas68
Lilith

Re: So, was emo Asuka really trying to be AN HERO in #24?

•      
  •      

Postby Thomas68 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 pm

This post is almost 10 years old, so this is probably a huge gravedigging.

It is strongly imlplied that she indeed cut her wrists, as we can notice later on EoE in TEH HOSPITAL FAP SCENE that she has her wrists covered by gauze and the fact that the orginal scene has some blood in the bathtub.

So, probably yes, she tried to AN HERO.
I've got nothing better to do, so I have registered myself here!

Alan_81
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Alan_81 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:00 am

I have just finished perusing this thread, but feel some miss the overall feeling this scene is trying to portray?
Asuka’s at rock bottom, has run away for the last seven days! Doesn't care if she lives or dies, wallowing in apathy, the bath scene is full of symbolism designed to “reference” suicide, but still she can’t take that way out… her mothers suicide stops her going that far, it’s after all that exact trauma that drives her. She feels hopeless, wanting to die but can’t “pull the trigger” so decides to just lay there, not caring how slowly the end comes. There is a huge void between “not wanting to live” and actually going through with the actions this would involve. (Sorry, but I sadly know this to be true) doing the deed is harder than imagined, its likened to overcoming your need to breath!

Two points I would like opinion on: her clothes are neatly folded, but not enough items are there? So what’s the red item seen between the bathtub and her head? It’s not just her hair, it’s something more? Part of her red headset? Or her skirt? IMO something is between her head and the bathtub?

Second: people have made many points about the IV and the fluid drip locations. neither implies a suicide attempt, it’s standard procedure to replace electrolytes in malnutrition cases (she hasn’t eaten in seven days?) and IV sedation is often added to trauma patients this way… movement of IV’s are no big deal, I personally had four different IV lines over seven days (they can block easy / veins collapse etc)

“An Hero” is a misuse of term? after her traumas there is nothing trivial about her wanting to take her own life!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:37 am

Welcome to the forums! Those are some really good points you've raised regarding Asuka not actually attempting suicide (Please take care! That you should be personally familiar with some of this is scary!). Given how emaciated Asuka was when she was found, your explanation for the IV lines makes sense.

I'm not sure what the OP meant be "AN HERO" in this context. I don't think he intended to trivialize Asuka's trauma so much as use a now-forgotten 4chanism of some kind. Wish I could be of more help, but alas, my memory of net slang from 14 years ago is lousy.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:05 pm

The full story can be found on "know your meme", but the TL;DR is that somewhere in the 15-20 year ago range, some kid killed himself, and the first of the tributes on social media (probably MySpace back then) spoke of him as "an hero". At which point the more scurrilous parts of the 'net picked up the broken phrase and ran with it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

VanessaOliver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VanessaOliver » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:52 am

That's how it's always been, and now this "phrase" is taken out of context, and no one knows what the real meaning is. :uhh:

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”