Best boy

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

RadicalRandy
Adam

Re: Best boy

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Thu May 11, 2017 1:42 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:Kensuke: Many see him just as a '' military-otaku '' I think he's the most mature among the kids in this show.

Friendly reminder about those pictures of Asuka that he and Toji were selling.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:Friendly reminder about those pictures of Asuka that he and Toji were selling.

Add to that the photograph of the girls undressing in the changing room with Asuka in central frame was proberbly shot from a tree or hidden spot...
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 11, 2017 5:11 pm

And Kensuke is the only character in the series shown with a camera.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Thu May 11, 2017 6:37 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Add to that the photograph of the girls undressing in the changing room with Asuka in central frame was proberbly shot from a tree or hidden spot...

We also have the scene where the wind raises Asuka's skirt and he's filming, but I still hold my position.

Episode 4 helps to reaffirm this, in addition Kensuke seems to be the only child to understand the importance of piloting an Eva in spite of the exaggerated admiration.

Shinji : not know.
Asuka : Pride
Rei : Gendo
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 pm

There are a couple of different reasons the series gives us for why Shinji pilots.

1. Like with his cello, it was something he was good at and no one ever told him to stop. It eventually consumes him to the point when, at his lowest, it's literally the only thing he believes he can do.

From ep. 26:
TELOP: "Why do you pilot Eva?"

Shinji: "Because it's all of me."

2. To earn praise and/or recognition from his father. Episode 12 specifically makes a point of showing us how much this affects him, and flashbacks in introspection scenes cite that moment when he thinks about why he pilots.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:There are a couple of different reasons the series gives us for why Shinji pilots.

1. Like with his cello, it was something he was good at and no one ever told him to stop. It eventually consumes him to the point when, at his lowest, it's literally the only thing he believes he can do.

From ep. 26:

2. To earn praise and/or recognition from his father. Episode 12 specifically makes a point of showing us how much this affects him, and flashbacks in introspection scenes cite that moment when he thinks about why he pilots.

I was just talking about the vocation to be Eva's pilot.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:We also have the scene where the wind raises Asuka's skirt and he's filming, but I still hold my position.

You can hold to it, but it still doesn't make sense. Far from being the most mature motivation, it's actually the most juvenile: Shinji is searching for a reason to pilot, Asuka does it out of pride and desperation, and Rei does it to please Gendo. All are reacting to their circumstances as best they can. But Kensuke? He want to pilot because it's cool. There is no more childish reason on Earth to want something.

And then there are the photos, which basically say, "My skills as a criminal are far more developed than yours, ha ha!" While that's certainly true, it's not exactly something to brag about.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Fri May 12, 2017 5:26 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You can hold to it, but it still doesn't make sense. Far from being the most mature motivation, it's actually the most juvenile: Shinji is searching for a reason to pilot, Asuka does it out of pride and desperation, and Rei does it to please Gendo. All are reacting to their circumstances as best they can. But Kensuke? He want to pilot because it's cool. There is no more childish reason on Earth to want something.

And then there are the photos, which basically say, "My skills as a criminal are far more developed than yours, ha ha!" While that's certainly true, it's not exactly something to brag about.

Well, we can not say that someone is more mature by facing traumas in a manic-depressive or demonstrating false maturity, the thing that most favors Kensuke is not to have emotional instability, his mother just like that of other pilots also died and he seems to deal Well, when Toji punches Shinji in episode 3, Kensuke apologizes for that, when he could have simply supported Toji's ignorance at that moment, in addition he apologizes for Toji in episode 4 for having punched Shinji, also when the service Nerv's intelligence finds Shinji's whereabouts, Kensuke does not react to it, his explanation is given the next day when questioned by Toji, he asks, '' Why did not you react? '', Answer: '' Only an idiot fights knowing Who will lose, '' Kensuke also knows that his '' military exercises '' are just jokes. For a boy of 14 years I think he has a certain maturity Yes, his youthful side is represented through his admiration for something that makes him sound childish, just as a person who collects dolls of animes can make him childish the perception of others , But it does not mean that this really matches her, Kensuke may not have the formula to face the world, but I think he would deal better with the problems. What really is not there are moments to better explain Kensuke's personality because he is a supporting actor, he is only reflex from the author's point of view but there is no guarantee that he is just a military-otaku with naive perceptions.

Being Eva's pilot is just a profession like any other, the difference is that this one is not chosen by merit, as everyone in the classroom that Shinji studies are potential pilots, it is sensible to think that Kensuke was better adapted as a pilot for his interest, Unfortunately Kensuke was not the protagonist and did not have his mother dissolved into an Eva.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 pm

You're doing a lot of handwaving here, essentially claiming Kensuke's the most mature of the kids by virtue of the fact that he's a secondary character who's never really fleshed out. I don't buy it. The picture business and the fact he seems utterly oblivious to the effect piloting has on Shinji make it seem absurd.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You're doing a lot of handwaving here, essentially claiming Kensuke's the most mature of the kids by virtue of the fact that he's a secondary character who's never really fleshed out. I don't buy it. The picture business and the fact he seems utterly oblivious to the effect piloting has on Shinji make it seem absurd.

In Episode 3 Kensuke and Toji enter Eva 01, they actually see that Shinji is suffering there, in the next episode when Shinji flees and desides not to fly anymore and they support his decision, Kensuke does not seem insensitive in relation to this, Shinji returns to Eva At his own expense. I do not understand where you want to go, Shinji does not pilot Eva because is bad, it's because he already feels bad about himself and does not know he wants to go.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 12, 2017 9:12 pm

View Original PostSnow wrote:Now, since the mid-90's there has been a constant state of a information war over the identity of the legendary best girl. Now, i'd like to ask you who is the best boy

Depending on which sort of best boy you mean, the best boy is the assistant to the gaffer or the key grip (the best boy electric or best boy grip, respectively)

If you ask Kaworu he'll tell you Shinji makes a great best boy grip, heyoooooooooo.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Depending on which sort of best boy you mean, the best boy is the assistant to the gaffer or the key grip (the best boy electric or best boy grip, respectively)

If you ask Kaworu he'll tell you Shinji makes a great best boy grip, heyoooooooooo.

In the EVA-setting, i would suppose it would be the least mentally damaged, yet maturity and personality matter too. A matter of taste...
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:22 pm

We may all be obsessed with him (especially me because he's literally me if I were looking in a mirror), but mind you...he's got Kaworu. I think he lucked out in the end...BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T FANTASIZE! BRING ME THAT EVA YAOI DOUJINSHI! :kensukecam:

As for the plot on Kaworu real quick, Kaworu also helped Shinji...(relax? I dunno) in EoE for Instrumentality to happen. If Shinji wasn't "saved" I guess by Kaworu, who knows what would've gone down then. Perhaps Shinji would've accepted instrumentality, pretty much leaving the world in even MORE ruin than it was when Kaworu was present, making him important to the plot. ^_^

As for Shinji himself, I think he'd be a very sweet partner. One that's a little clumsy and makes normal human mistakes, but someone who shows kindness and just wants to please others at heart, and I feel that exact same way, hence why I mentioned it's like looking in the mirror. For looks, I'm basically him with glasses (and a mini mustache that no matter how times I shave, never really goes away for too long and is still rather visible. :lol: ) Androgynousness is something else that he and I share (though that's more of a thing I express rather than instinctive show...that might be a bit of a lie actually.) He's literally just me, even down to some of the emotional feelings and flaws of him. -o-;

Basically, I think he's my favorite character because of just how adorably real and human he is as a character and how well he's written...though Kaworu's a VERY CLOSE second based on the looks alone. :shinji_blush:
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

SpaceCowboy35
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SpaceCowboy35 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:48 am

I mean I want to be dominated fully by kaworu

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”