Talking about guns in Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Magneto
Embryo

Talking about guns in Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Wed May 03, 2017 6:48 pm

I think in this aspect there was a certain relaxation, most have no creativity, the only excess is the Positron Rifle, the idea of ​​the progressive knife to defeat the angels I found simply ridiculous, in addition has a multitude of useless weapons and they have a similarity incredible , in episode 19 Asuka uses an arsenal against Zeruel and has no effect, but to point out that Matarel was defeated by a "giant machine gun" in episode 11.

Snow
Adam

Re: Talking about guns in Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Thu May 04, 2017 1:47 am

Take into note that Zeruel was possibly the strongest of all angels, being the symbol of strength. It's not anyone who is able to get to Tokyo 3 by direct assault.
And i must agree, i found it a bit strange Eva's using upsize assault rifles and pistols..
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu May 04, 2017 5:17 am

What's wrong with the progressive knife? It might just be the single most effective weapon the Evas employ, though I can only think of two Angels it was effectively used against (Shamshel and Sahaquiel).
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

MuscleRobo
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 am

Well, if you think about it Ultraman and Seven didn't use guns. Don't tell me that Dan or Hayato in the science patrol did though, that doesn't count! The Eva's aren't supposed to be like power armor or giant mecha but people in suits. I think a lot of the weapons just came from designing with a few military otaku. That's why they're modeled after some real life weapons and the toys have even more but a lot of angels are taking out by practicality wrestling like the Ultra series. This is more of a design reason though not an in universe one.

Glor
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu May 04, 2017 10:23 am

I can see where you're coming from OP. I guess upscaled weapons just kind of go with the giant robot genre, since in reality giant robots would just be mobile artillery pieces anyway. But I do find it odd that so many people who watch the show don't get that Angel A.T. Field strengths aren't static. The show seemed to make that pretty clear, or at least pointed out that there were Angels with much more powerful A.T. Fields than others.
Rite of Reclamation - an Evangelion/Halo fusion, check it out, is pretty neat.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Sat May 06, 2017 9:30 am

I understand that the Evas are not exactly Mechas, I also understand that as human-controlled cyborgues it is convenient to have weapons similar to those of the real world, but I think they were simply too lazy to do them, If it's a super-cannon, but something a bit more detailed and useful in fighting against the angels, because the impression left is that it looks like the same weapons used by the UN to try to defeat the angels.

On the progressive knife, I may have exaggerated, but always when I see that to defeat a huge alien monster you need a knife, in the world of animes this is at the very least strange. (But I think it's just prejudice on my part, so ignore).

Zoop
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Thu May 11, 2017 6:26 am

Although I agree most weapon designs are quite lazy, it wasnt what bugged me so much. What did was their effectiviness. Matarael seemed incredibly weak to these weapons compared to pretty much all the other ones (maybe they managed to hit its weak spot at its "eye" or something).
I understand the angels have varying AT fields and uses for them, but in almost all encounters where these weapons were deployed, they were useless as shit.

Take Shamshel, where Sinji trains to use a gun to take down angels. Most of that is automated anyway, give him Kung-Fu lessons or something, so he'll be able to fight decently in hand-to-hand combat where the Eva performs the best anyway.
At best, these weapons were a hindrance (like obscuring Shamshel with smoke). Also the stationary guns that fire at the angel just to show how powerful it is and how little effect normal weapons have. Then why the hell are they still firing at them? Misato even remarks "this is just a waste of tax-payers money".

This always botherer me with NGE and NTE, I had always hoped they would either show that these weapons have some (limited) effectiveness, or just forget about them altogether.

Also in NTE, Mari is shown to use an effective sniper rifle, taking out a few MK4's, but in every other instance there was something that made these guns useless again. ATT round against something that doesn't have an AT, shooting rounds at something thats all-core, shooting units 09's head to find out it has little to no effect, etc. Every single time they need to make a point about how useless these weapons are ... It annoys me. If they are effective, they always are only once (mari's sniper against mk4's, useless after, or the Wunder guns against the nemesis, later against 13 pretty useless).

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”