Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: TETSUOOOO! The Akira Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:15 am

Chronicle was a pretty decent live action Akira. :tongue: It's not a direct adaptation, obviously, but I dare you to get through the final act without itching to cry out "TETSUO!!!" and "KANEEEEDA!!!".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 am

Depends on what you like. I'm there for the way sci fi dramatizes man's relationship with modern life. Modernity couldn't be stopped but it became pathological. Mankind really felt like that in the '80s. The Judge Dredd and Robocop like sense of the mighty city as a dirty engine, smothering mankind as it only goes faster. The '90s felt like a reprieve but now we're plunging headlong into the collapse for which we were destined.

The Colonel wrote: It’s taken thirty long years. We’ve come so far from the rubble...the passion to build has cooled and the joy of reconstruction forgotten"

Like, the poingancy of the Tetsuo-Kaneda relationship is that in the middle of all this massive happenings these are just two guys who are bitching each other out over stolen bikes or girlfriends of whatever. Tetsuo vs. Rocks is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in cinema.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

The manga of Akira has never been available in English unflipped. That's changing later this year, with the release of a 35th anniversary edition, in English, unflipped, original sfx, hardback, with a copy of the Akira Club volume of additional artwork and info.

http://www.cbr.com/akira-to-mark-35th-anniversary-with-definitive-box-set/

Although I have the full flipped version (and Akira Club) this is still very tempting - I shall have to review my finances around the release time!

The only thing missing is colour (this is confirmed). The whole flipped English version was coloured by Steve Oliff (apart from the colour pages by Jo Duffy in the earlier B/W printing), and this is very hard to get hold of in volume format - I have the first, but the other five were (if I recall correctly) only published in limited quantities by a book club. Coloured versions not in English are easier to obtain; or you can find most of it in comic form if you can put up with it (at a price!). Here's an interview with Steve Oliff about it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Never did pick up Akira because the flipping irritated me, so this is perfect!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 09, 2017 4:07 am

Blast! It seems there was 38% off pre-orders at Amazon until the end of April...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu May 11, 2017 2:52 am

I really enjoyed Akira in the sense that like Princess Mononoke its about collide view points and perspectives and that its not shy to bring up uncomfortable topics and show a really bleak sociality with constant violence. I also loved how Tetsuo and Kaneda slowly reverse over the film in that the one you might think could be the hero in essence comes the villain while the other who acts harsh, slimy and is a womanizer slowly becomes hero. I also love the motorbike scene at the start its such a great piece of animation when you consider that it wasn't done using computers but old style cell frames along with the rest of the film.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:This gives me a reason to post this image I discovered on Instagram. The artist is boyaking.

As for my views on Akira, in short, I consider it one of the hallmarks of anime.

There's another one of those images of Asuka on the Akira motorbike which is official art ^_^

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm

I received that Akira 35th anniversary manga box set for X-Mas(thanks mom!) and I finished the 6th volume yesterday during my lunch break. Truly a masterwork and an absolute joy to read.

I watched the Akira film for the first time way back in February 2003 on a Thursday night. It left me very confused and with an uneasy feeling when it was over, but I liked it. (Side note; how hard it was to try to be an anime fan back in 2003 with no money and dial-up internet and a P.O.S Gateway 2000 desktop. I rented it from Blockbuster[R.I.P.] basically just because if you were that age and you liked anime you watched Akira. Went into it with no idea what it was about and couldn't go online afterwards to research it or anything. Strange times.) But so anyway, I'd watch it here and there since then, like when it'd be playing on Encore, or when it was available on Netflix streaming in '08, or when I bought the 25 anniversary blu ray in '13. It's probably the anime film I've watched most that's not Eva related. So, I have a bit of a history with Akira, but before getting this beautiful manga set I'd only read the first volume of the manga and that was way back in 2009. So reading the manga was definitely a bit of a trip; you have about fifteen years worth of memories of what this work is all about, then everythings super different.

But all of the changes I really liked, though I watched the movie last night and it still absolutely rips in its own way. I really liked the way the manga handled all of its characters and fleshed them out. The film is okay at it, but obviously it doesn't have the amount of time that the manga does. Something I like about anime and manga is that a lot of times the lines begin to blur between the "good guys" and "bad guys" and we see that here. It's pretty hard to unlike anybody save for one or two characters(the Americans, that guy with the pompadour who kisses Tetsuo's ass and is always trying to get the Tokyo Empire guys to go to war.) By the end you feel a kinship with a lot of the characters; besides for the MCs you get to like the Colonel, Akira, No. 25,26,27, Chiyoko, Miyako and to a lesser extent Joker. Sometimes it's a little silly that these characters live as long as they do after everything they go through, but since it means there's never a dull moment in the story I'll take it. The story arc of the whole thing was really nice too, with the first half being a political espionage tale and the second being a pre/post-apocalyptic battle for humanity's survival. It's epic man.

Something I've been wondering since I started it though, which I never thought about too much when I'd just seen the film, is the actions of Tetsuo. Like if he was a malicious person to begin with or if the power made him that way, or if it was a little bit of both.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Return to “Anime and Manga”