Amanda Winn-Lee and Her Apathy toward Eva

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dildry
Embryo

Re: Amanda Winn-Lee and Her Apathy toward Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:23 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:^ Got to it by getting rid of html...and looking at two related forums to it...I think I may have unknowingly opened up Pandora's Box...

...well, we don't know what's to happen yet, but from looking at the thread and seeing her interviews and looking at her responses...she is justified in her reasoning for the most part. Like she said, life was tough for her with Noodle getting cancer and nearly going deaf, and if I were in her shoes, I would probably do the same thing. I know the phrase "One bad apple won't spoil the whole bunch" might be alluded to in response, but considering her reasoning; though it may be a little farfetched in some eyes, it still is justified on why she wouldn't want to return.

Plus, I would admire someone to actually get on a fansite and talk to fans. She did after all mention in her book that she got so many perverted letters when she was still in the anime business. Despite that, she actually had a fairly successful communication with the people here.

The more this thread will expand, the more likely it is that I'll start regretting launching it in the first place.

Yeah especially since someone in this community drove her off. Not a good idea.
You dare mock the son of a sheperd - Sheperds Son

Dildry
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:24 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:^ Got to it by getting rid of html...and looking at two related forums to it...I think I may have unknowingly opened up Pandora's Box...

...well, we don't know what's to happen yet, but from looking at the thread and seeing her interviews and looking at her responses...she is justified in her reasoning for the most part. Like she said, life was tough for her with Noodle getting cancer and nearly going deaf, and if I were in her shoes, I would probably do the same thing. I know the phrase "One bad apple won't spoil the whole bunch" might be alluded to in response, but considering her reasoning; though it may be a little farfetched in some eyes, it still is justified on why she wouldn't want to return.

Plus, I would admire someone to actually get on a fansite and talk to fans. She did after all mention in her book that she got so many perverted letters when she was still in the anime business. Despite that, she actually had a fairly successful communication with the people here.

The more this thread will expand, the more likely it is that I'll start regretting launching it in the first place.

I want to know what made her do what because of her sons battle with cancer? What did she do again because of that horrible experience that affects us? And why would you do it aswell. Seems I am missing something

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:08 pm

View Original PostDildry wrote:I want to know what made her do what because of her sons battle with cancer? What did she do again because of that horrible experience that affects us? And why would you do it aswell. Seems I am missing something

A shitty life can equal more sensitivity, and if to be harassed - even if you think it was an overreaction - can suck if you're trying to stay here. I'd imagine she'd worried that she would constantly face that same type often, especially since quite a few Eva fans hold a grudge against her. Do I think she overreacted? A bit. She should've taken more time to get used to the community, but seeing it from her perspective, I emphasize with her.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Dildry
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:22 am

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:A shitty life can equal more sensitivity, and if to be harassed - even if you think it was an overreaction - can suck if you're trying to stay here. I'd imagine she'd worried that she would constantly face that same type often, especially since quite a few Eva fans hold a grudge against her. Do I think she overreacted? A bit. She should've taken more time to get used to the community, but seeing it from her perspective, I emphasize with her.

Yes I can relate to that and I dont know what the people here did to her to drive her off so I wont judge

But what about her comments that Anno did shrooms and wasnt breasfed enough as a child to make Evangelion?

I mean she has no reason to say that about the people she is working for. Why would she direct her hate for the fans at the producers?

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:49 pm

View Original PostDildry wrote:But what about her comments that Anno did shrooms and wasnt breasfed enough as a child to make Evangelion?

I mean she has no reason to say that about the people she is working for. Why would she direct her hate for the fans at the producers?

She didn't direct hate to the fans; she it herself that she didn't want to put up with any future harassment like she experienced.

I'd imagine her saying the shrooms part (You'll see it being brought up at least once or twice a month here alone) but did she really say the part about breastfeeding? I need to see a source if you're bringing it up.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:37 am

Took me a while but I was able to find it, both things were said at the same event it seems - post/849203/Anime-Detour-2016-w-Amanda-Winn-Lee/#849203

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Jeez. I still like have some respect for her, but it does show how little research she did for what would become one of the biggest Japanese franchises ever made. Not to Tiffany Grant levels of adoration, but you know what I mean.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:47 am

Despite Evangelion being one of the bits of geek-culture that escaped into the mainstream in Japan (like Doctor Who or Star Trek), it's quite clear that the world is divided into those damage cases to whom the material speaks, and the comparatively well-adjusted who fail to get it.

It doesn't surprise me at all that AWL would be one of that majority who don't, and regard it as just another job of work (however lucrative) along with everything else that passed through her hands, with Tiff being the exception by becoming her own waifu.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:50 am

In my opinion she was a much better Yukiko Amagi than she was Rei.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:35 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It's quite clear that the world is divided into those damage cases to whom the material speaks, and the comparatively well-adjusted who fail to get it.

So people who are well-adjusted and also 'get' the show don't exist?
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:08 am

View Original PostGlor wrote:So people who are well-adjusted and also 'get' the show don't exist?

They exist, but they're a lot less likely to be sympathetic toward the characters since they haven't personally experienced that level of dysfunction.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:since they haven't personally experienced that level of dysfunction.

Parents of older children may well have, even if indirectly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:01 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Parents of older children may well have, even if indirectly.

Very true! I spoke a bit too broadly there.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:15 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Parents of older children may well have, even if indirectly.

My mom says that while she's not crazy about Eva the way I am, she holds it in her heart for how much it spoke to me as one who went through many of the things the characters went through.

Of course...there's a door open that AWL shows Noodle her work...

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:26 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Didn't just add a cartoony splat and "Hit em again" to EoE, she replaced a slap with a gunshot in Death because she misunderstood what Masayuki was doing that badly. And laughed it off like the original director had fucked up the sound design in her commentary.

Ugh.

I liked the first change and didn't even notice the second change. You're right that the third change was a mistake, but I don't think it was that bad of one.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun May 07, 2017 6:52 pm

It's official, she really hates my guts.

I tried to apologize through her Facebook and Twitter pages about my mean words involving her own family members but she understandably won't hear any of it. That's what I get for abusing the power of free speech and it cost me what could've been a connection with someone who has suffered enough. What a dummy... :facepalm:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 pm

All you can do at this point is learn from the experience and move on, so it's best not to dwell on it. Hopefully the public nature of said interaction means others will learn the same lesson without having to suffer the consequences firsthand.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:It's official, she really hates my guts.

There's no getting around it, I saw the screenshot of your post on her Twitter, and it disappoints me greatly that that is how this community is projected outward. I myself have certainly stepped over the line in the past and let my passion for this work cloud my emotions towards people like her. It's a terrible thing, and we all need to learn to observe that line between personal and professional. After everything her family has been through, and what you said, you can't necessarily expect her to accept your apology. Maybe in time. For now, it's something you need to learn about life and keep in mind and try to better yourself.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 am

Personally I think "hit 'em again" was a great addition.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”