Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Just got done watching Patlabor 2: The Movie on BluRay. Astounding visuals for it's time and an intriguing plot that didn't even have to rely on Labor action until the end. Any anime film that can keep me engaged on political and post-war chatter for it's nearly two hour runtime deserves heaps of praise.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 am

Even though I managed to see the first episode of Digimon Adventure tri. Ketsui, I just cannot get behind this episodic way of telling the story. They always seem to cut off at the most important times and I am sick of it. Guess I won't be shelving out my money for a copy of the English DVD when it comes out on May.

Also feels like a chore to watch Ranma 1/2 especially when I am nearing the end of the first season's Kodachi arc and all I can think of is when the hell will the Shampoo arc debut?!
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Finally finished my Rahxephon TV series experience with eps. 25 and 26. To me, it felt like an easier to follow finale than the series it clearly was inspired by which was Eva. Gotta give the show credit for establishing one of my all time favorite romantic relationships in the form of Ayato and Haruka which went through the wringer as it got tested but came out on top. Also give it props for giving significant maturity in Megumi by encouraging her sister to go after Kamina. But still, I find it hard to decide whether the TV or movie version of Rah was the better one. I wish to say the movie due to having actually started with viewing it before the TV series out of loyalty brought on by nostalgia. Either way, I definitely recommend it in all it's forms. ^_^

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:35 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:...than the series it clearly was inspired by which was Eva.

Among others (Yuusha Raideen for one). Good show, though (I prefer the series, but I agree the film's pretty good even so).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:46 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Finally finished my Rahxephon TV series experience with eps. 25 and 26. To me, it felt like an easier to follow finale than the series it clearly was inspired by which was Brave Raideen.

FTFY.

(Seriously, Anno even pointed this out in interviews. Everything you think RahXephon lifted from Eva was common to many other super robot shows that predated both. And when the show's director tells you unambiguously that he was lifting material from a particular show it's kind of silly to continue to claim he was ripping off another.)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:17 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:G Gundam has passed the 3-episode test as a candidate for some Saturday morning cartoon watching, helped, I feel, by being Gundam in name only, so far, and much more like a magical girl boy series, what with the henshin scenes and all.

It's really Gundam meets Chinese martial art film conventions. Complete with soap opera family dynamics, understanding WITH OUR FISTS, and the odd fellow dressed in yellow & black.

Seikaisuru Kado ep 2

Everyone seems to know the main character, which itself I find odd, but it's downright eerie how the're also all in love with the guy. I'm pretty sure he was tackled this episode just so that guy would have an excuse to touch him; no way that human barrel roll could be meant to help somebody.

The MC also took the whole "29 days" thing a little too non-nonchalantly; didn't even ask why they were being held. As soon as he heard that they'd be fed, he was totally down with tripping balls in the 4th dimension for the next month, and for "changing the world, maannn~ ".

Alice and Zoroko

It's old man yells at manga.

No, it's anime's Mr. Wilson.

No, it's Hideaki Anno's ideal war generation Nihonjin given form so it can fix anime forever.

The man seems to be a master of breaking situations down. I really want to know what words he used to explain things to his granddaughter; she was okay with everything Alice did right up until they were plummeting straight down the side of a skyscraper.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Magical Girl Raising Project ended up being Walmart Madoka meets Battle Royale, with the notional MC being a mostly useless limp dishrag. The fights turned out to be satisfactorily bloody, and at times quite clever, and there were enough characters that one could be happy to see take a pounding finally receiving one. Better, there was enough of a tie-it-up ending that it didn't feel like just a trailer for the LN series (something which I had been dreading).

I also watched Appleseed XIII, a series which went completely under the radar back in '11. It was a competent Appleseed pastiche, decorated with occasional sequences that seemed familiar from the manga. To my delight, it didn't rehash the same spider-tank story that was used for the '94 OVA and every movie since; and as such is probably the best adaptation since the original OVA, for all that it is really Appleseed:SAC 2nd Gig. The spider tanks did wobble briefly onto the stage -- as a "you remember when..." --in the last episode, which did for the most part directly take from a section of the manga -- except where it went completely bananas near the end. Surprisingly that particular episode doesn't seem to have been a DVD-release special.

The machinima style of animation, especially the hybrid of calculated shading and hatching in the textures could get a bit janky at times, but the designs were all faithful to the original, albeit sans the occasional lapses of that original into SD. Sans also the various bits of fan-service from the original.

The adaptation turned down Deunan's level of cast-iron combat bitch to a low setting (it was quite erratic in the manga), and succeeded in making her a more plausible overall female, once the early bout of anime-enhanced Daddy issues died down.

Finally, the awesome fight from WaSuYu 2 has made it onto YouTube; when it comes to the TV version in the autumn, the screen will be completely black for a large part of the time, if the normal rules about bloody violence are applied.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:37 am

I watched that there Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid over the course of the past few days. I'm not normally a fan of the cutesy aesthetic & despite the stellar animation I was a little leery during the first episode because it leaned far too heavily on this dragon is thirsty for this human woman humor & had me worried the show was going to be nothing but pervy breast bounces & sex jokes - which mind you, it still does have but that quickly tapers off- but once the show introduced the child dragon Kanna & it became a story about a pseudo-family I warmed up to it quickly. It's not the greatest thing ever but I quickly got the appeal & enjoyed the show despite some iffy spots - namely 3 things: 1. a few of the later episodes like the dragons throwing on a play were a bit tiresome & felt kinda been there-done that, 2. the last episode with the dad dragon was so overblown & hyperbolic in comparison to the 12 episodes that came before it so that whole thing fell flat for me EXCEPT for when Kobayashi reverted to her old single lady ways & realized how much she needed Tohru & 3. I was ready for the cops to bust through my door when the two children were playing Twister, didn't need that stuff but lately that seems to be the odd trend with anime - & ultimately had a great time.
I don't know if I'll ever watch the show again in my life but I might watch a clip or two on Youtube down the line if I need a pick me up.

Now if they made a spin off about the Elma character I would cherish that forever & for always. She was a girl after my own heart.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:18 am

Having gotten some momentum with LoGH, I've now watched up to episode 24, and things are already looking set to start tumbling down, and I'm not even a quarter of the way through. This puts me well past my previous high-water mark, which had been before the Amritsar/Amlitzer battle, and deep into the second volume as translated (the VIZ first volume covers the substance of the first 16 episodes, though the OVA has episodes not found in the book).

As well as G Gundam and Minami Kamakura HSCC carrying on in the background, I've tried a couple of other titles to the 3-episode test (which itself is an achievement these days). On the surface, Kemono Friends is just cute fluff, with the usual Japanese habit of turning anything into cute girls on full display -- but it's also being quite clever in how it's handling Bag-chan's unusual nature, compared with the other denizens of Japari Park. And there's something about scheming sadistic psycho-lolis that makes Youjo Senki seem like another title I will carry on with.

And now that subs are out, I watched the second part of Washio Sumi, which started to diverge significantly from the LN, shuffling some material around, what will become episode 3 pulling in part of chapter 5, as well as having new material, in a light-hearted mood (as one might expect from a script writer who counts Seto No Hanyome and Carnival Phantasm amongst his previous credits) more inspired by the VN and 4-koma peripheral material. Unlike the previous part, the seam at the mid-point was not so obvious, and it was way overshadowed by the mood shift accompanying the eventual transition to the otherworld of the jukai.

I must say that this was the first time I've seen a magical girl adjust her outfit mid-henshin.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:20 am

As I saw it in a cinema, I put my reactions to A Silent Voice in the movie thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 01, 2017 12:57 pm

> Fri Apr 28, 2017 20:49 BST
LoGH episode 26: Well, that escalated quickly!

G Gundam episode 19: Suddenly, a fanservice episode out of nowhere. Perhaps there was a quota that needed to be met?

So I finished Minami Kamakura HSCC, which turned out in the end to be a "School Club (survival of)" series, rather than either pure CGDCT on the one hand, or sport on the other, even though it does include practical cycling advice (both in the story and in the post-ED live action sequences, which conclude with a couple of young ladies riding out from Kamakura to sample an Enoshima Bowl in wonderful February weather). To the extent that there are any surprises in the series, the OP is somewhat spoilerific; OTOH, it also gives more prominence to some of the peripheral characters than they get in the show, so the level of wacky anime clichés out of the 1990s is lower than one might at first fear.

Surprisingly, there wasn't all that much concentration on hill climbing technique, even though there was a fair amount of it involved, because Japanese terrain -- so, unlike with Yama no Susume, the lure of actually being on the open road with a bunch of cute Japanese girls was lower that for hill-walking. At least with it being on-road, there's a chance that some of the routes covered are actually there on Google Street-view to tour virtually, rather than it just showing the start of an mountain path.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon May 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Funny you mention Encouragement of Climb, as I’m in the middle of a rewatch. Just about to get my heart broken again by the Fuji ascent.

Also rewatching JJBA: StarDust Crusaders. I’d completely forgotten Star Platinum had go-go-gadget extender-finger powers.
The conclusion of episode 17 is still the most satisfying ending ever.

Stuck with Alice & Zoroku despite the awful first episode. The introductory arc has ended happily with not-Alice, the old chap and the food alien becoming a family. Very sweet. End it right there, why not?
So, how are things going to go south in episode 6, I wonder…?

Love Tyrant is silly trash. The way I like it.

Picked up World End: What are you doing at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?… lordy, that’s an especially annoying, long title.
Episode one had a nice rendition of Scarborough Fair, but episode two gives us a rather unpleasant visual of a little girl bleeding from the head.
Turns out the nippers have no fear of death… just fear of literally being eaten by the resident troll, because apparently that’s different.
This one could go either way. I'm hoping there will be some sweet tragedy to come.

Also picked up Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans. Up to episode 15 and really, really enjoying this.
It isn’t often one sees a functioning harem family, or a love interest okay with the idea of a harem ending for that matter. Atra. Bless her.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Also picked up Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans. Up to episode 15 and really, really enjoying this.
It isn’t often one sees a functioning harem family, or a love interest okay with the idea of a harem ending for that matter. Atra. Bless her.

And not just okay with it, either -- it was her idea! Kudelia was all like, "well then, I guess we're rivals!" and Mika had no clue what was going on, but Atra wasn't having any of that. "You like him too? Great! Let's be a family together!" And Kudelia's like, "wait, that's not how the script is supposed to work!" followed by "oh, well, I guess this isn't so bad" followed by . . . well, that way lies spoilers, but you'll like where they go with it.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 pm

The Dragon Dentist rights have been bought by the same published of NGE/Rebuild and I had the chance to see it. I've not watched the original short from the Animator Expo, so I didn't have any expectation and it was probably a good thing. I liked most of it: the animations and backgrounds were really good and I really liked the CGI for the dragon. What I didn't like was the abrupt end with too many unanswered questions for my taste, but with just two episodes I suppose I could forgive it. A side note: Studio Khara released 3 Evangelion movies and this and they managed to fit (tempted) mass murder/extintion in three of these, good job Khara.

I also finally finished watching Cowboy Bebop and Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. I saw the pilot and episode two a few weeks ago but I didn't like the second one so I stopped for a while. I liked it a lot, so much that I think it's the best anime I've ever watched (but not my favorite). I could see where it was going to end right away in episode one but the journey was so well made that it didn't matter at all. The stand alone episodes are all great and different enough to feel fresh even if the basic plot is pretty much always the same (let's capture this woman/man), the episode's related to the character's past kept me glued to the screen. I've heard a lot of praises for the animations and the fights but I liked the OST and some directing choices far more captivating than the sheer quality of the fights. The ending itself is a masterpiece delivered in the best way possible. I felt every emotion that Faye felt while talking to Spike but at the same time I was able to relate to Spike. Fantastic characters, fantastic setting, fantastic adventures.
The movie was basically a bigger standalone episode, but the "butterfly thing" made it special for me.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat May 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Episodes 17 and 18 of Aquarion. At first glance, the main concepts of the episodes border on filler territory but they did bring out some beautiful renderings and meaningful monologues about team unity. Plus the OP song finally changed by ep. 18 which for a 26 episode series would raise flags about it being late when one usually hears new OP sequences past ep. 13 or 14.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 07, 2017 6:09 am

Well, in the end, Youjo Senki was a fun ride. Having the MC be this duck-faced girl with exaggerated expressions in amongst the generally normal looking older men worked by being so ridiculous. The "now read the LN" end, was, of course, to be expected, especially with the tale of revenge being heavily trailed.

But "Mary Sioux". That just has to be deliberate, doesn't it?

And for something completely different -- as an advertisement of Japan's various zoos, with all its cute and happy animal girls, Kemono Friends was not the sort of place that one might have thought to find another sample of the cosy catastrophe genre. I think it worked well, on account of being so essentially innocent throughout.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 07, 2017 12:13 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:And for something completely different -- as an advertisement of Japan's various zoos, with all its cute and happy animal girls, Kemono Friends was not the sort of place that one might have thought to find another sample of the cosy catastrophe genre. I think it worked well, on account of being so essentially innocent throughout.

It wasn't just Japan's zoos, either -- they got interviews with zoos from all over the world to showcase the animals that inspired the friends. I expected a couple from the States and was not terribly surprised when they got one from Brazil for the jaguar, but they got some really obscure ones in there too.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 09, 2017 4:54 am

My Hero Academia

I had no particular reason to look at this (no recommendations or anything), but I was attracted by the really cute MC in the picture - superficial or what? I also have no interest whatsoever in superhero stuff, but was intrigued by the idea that the MC was a fish out of water with no superpowers ("quirks" in the show). Anyway, I watched the first episode and was instantly hooked, and now I am fully caught up and waiting for next week's episode. Yes, the MC gains a quirk (with problems); but the dynamic that's been set up by that point was decent enough to hold my interest, even though some of the superpower antics are stupidly over the top (as I generally see them). We are watching the MC's struggle towards achieving his dream - and while there's no heavy-duty angst to make it seem "deep", his efforts and determination are quite well displayed. There are parallels with Little Witch Academia - the same idea of someone untalented bludgeoning their way towards success by sheer tenacity and self-belief.

But what I haven't mentioned, what drew me in, and what's keeping me with it, is that it's simply great fun (another parallel, I guess!).

Kemono Friends

I can find no argument against watching Kemono Friends. However, I can find no argument in favour of it either, and there are many anime with a more substantial claim on my time than this. Plonk.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue May 09, 2017 1:32 pm

^

MHA will only get better from now on, with more character development even for the sidekikcs and a much more compelling threat. Sadly with the current pace the anime will catch up to the real fun on season 4 probably.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 pm

^
I've watched the first season of MHA and enjoyed every aspect of it. But the pacing infuriated me. Everything seemed like it took twice as long as it should take. I've heard it has become worse in season two... So I don't think I'll watch it.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Return to “Anime and Manga”