[Literature] Currently Reading (discussion)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Markal
Embryo

Re: [Literature] Currently Reading (discussion)

•      
  •      

Postby Markal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 am

My current reading attention is split between David McCullough's biography on John Adams and one of Harry Turtledove's alternate-history novels, The Two Georges.
"It is nothing to die, it is horrible not to live." - Jean Valjean

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Nearly a month and a half and I'm barely 100 pages away from finishing Imajica. I know I said I was going to read Ulysses next...but I had a gut feeling that when I heard the themes and concept of the former, I would fall in love with it.

For once, my gut was right.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:34 am

Well, I finally finished Imajica about half a month ago and I can safely say that this is easily the best fantasy book I've read...but, I still have plenty more to go.

Following that, I read through Brave New World (With classic dystopias on my list ('Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' in particular)) and, perhaps not surprisingly, it's a great book that's still relevant in many different ways. Huxley is an author who I need to read more of.

And currently, I'm taking a leap of faith and attempting to read David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. When first hearing about it, it sounded like it was nearly made for me. I can't form an opinion on it since I'm only on page 60 out of 1,076, so it's going to take me a while or more to form it fully.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm somewhat behind the times, but I just blew through The Martian. Good book, haven't been glued to a book like this in a very long time.
Webmaster, Eva Monkey; Co-founder, administrator emeritus, Eva Geeks; Moderator, r/evangelion

Check out my YouTube channel. All Eva, all the time.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 05, 2017 3:50 pm

I indulged myself recently by picking up John C. Wright's Awake in the Night Land, which is essentially a set of professionally published fanfic of Hodgson's The Night Land. It's a creditable pastiche of the original, though occasionally one can hear the sound of auctorial axes being ground. And by the third piece, it has fallen to the usual fanfic vice of "spot the reference" as it seeks to fill in some of the ages between the Edwardian times of the original's opening, and the far distant future where the main story takes place.

Like most fanfic, recommended for people who liked the original and want another helping.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
SHE WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD
SHE LIKED TO HELP PEOPLE

big_big_bozo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby big_big_bozo » Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Had a friend lend me his copy of Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, heard a lot of good things from him. To hear him tell it, you'd be hardpressed to see a piece of fiction that ""challenges"" the medium in a more interesting manner, and coupled with the horror aspect, it's apparently quite the ride. Conversely, I've heard others describe it as one long parade of gimmicks, broken up by unnecessarily cryptic n' pretentious tangents, that ultimately amounts to nothing more then a shoddy experiment. Gonna try and not let either stance colour my own perception. Just sat down for an hour to give it a once over, and I can safely say it's ...... weird. But in a good way, sorta.
sacred cum swamp denizen

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”