[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Trailer for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsG7WJVZv8

It's visually interesting, but we've seen good looking trailers for bad movies before. My experience with the Valerian franchise is rather limited, so I don't know if the story could be good or not.

Some background info on Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.co.uk/the-multiverse/2017/04/valerian-movie-trailer/. From the trailer, it looks like Mézières (the Valerian artist) went all out on the scenery pr0n (the original comic already has a reputation for that). It's also rather likely that Luc Besson went with the parts of Valerian that the comic tends to be really praised for (i.e. the aliens and humanity's interaction with them). Actually, my only complaint right now would be Laureline's hair color...

Just don't expect "America saves the day" and the like. Nor leads that look like the typical Hollywood leads.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 pm

THIS IS NOT A DRILL PEOPLE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gN4PXgx2TA

Invader Zim is FINALLY getting a conclusion over a decade and a half later!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I am very excited about Zim for returning for one last go!

Though I will prepare myself for the initial disappointment of New Zim being done in much more fiscally responsible Flash/ToonBoom than the phenomenal & really impressive/expensive classic hand-drawn animation of the original run.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:56 pm

I wouldn't be 'too' worried. Samurai Jack went from Hand Drawn to digital, and if you had told me it was all done in a computer I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If they get a good, talented team to work on it, it shouldn't be that bad looking when compared to the original show.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 pm

I sure hope so. The aesthetics of Samurai Jack are perfect for digital animation while Zim will be a little trickier.
But man Zim is soooooo good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ExXAnuBBY

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:36 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:THIS IS NOT A DRILL PEOPLE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gN4PXgx2TA

Invader Zim is FINALLY getting a conclusion over a decade and a half later!

Well, Nickelodeon seems to be resurrecting more than one series for a definitive finale, considering Hey Arnold will get its conclusion this coming November (oddly enough after 15 years... coincidence I guess). Man, this year seems to be the year for new releases from old movies. Power Ranger, GitS, Beauty and the Beast. I mean, not a bad thing, I can't wait to see the conclusion to Invader Zim and Hey Arnold.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:42 pm

What Nickelodeon really needs is an equivalent to Adult Swim. And I don't mean The 90s Are All That/The Splat. I'm talking about a dedicated primetime segment for cartoons too "adult" for Nickelodeon as we know it. There could also be some acquired anime series, reruns of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. . . that sort of thing. While the shows Nickelodeon seems obsessed with now (SpongeBob and so forth) could just air during the day.

It's a win-win!
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:47 pm

^Yeah, that would be nice. I mean Nickelodeon has Dragon Ball Z Kai... so an adult swim block wouldn't be too far off. Just a few more long anime series like Bleach or something and you can a few hours at night. But it would be nice if they brought back one other show, Rugrats. I really miss that one, even if its the "all Grown Up" version, I'd be like Toy Story 3 giving us an ending to Andy and his toys, it'd be nce to get that same finale, or maybe have the Rugrats' have thier own talking toddlers getting into mischief.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Maybe ten years ago, but not today. They had their opportunity to make something like that, and they missed it. Several times. If they did something like that now? Well. . . It would probably end up in a similar situation to Cartoon Networks 'Tickle U'. Which was a business venture that in the words of TJ Miller 'went to dicks almost immediately"

More Info On That Here.
https://youtu.be/AsXOHpLqAls?t=137

TLDW? BAsically, parents wouldn't be too happy with Nick Jr. and Spongebob Being on the same channel as say . . . a dark, gritty, adult sequel to Legend Of Korra/ATLA with swear words and sex scenes. Even if it was in a different timeslot where kids weren't usually up.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 am

They're fine with Family Guy and The Powerpuff Girls being on the same channel. What's the difference?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:45 pm

The best damn spy movie of the last decade finally has a trailer for its sequel! I personally can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nxc-3WpMbg

[This is a bit click-baity as is, so FYI he's talking about Kingsman. -Reichu]

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Well, Nickelodeon seems to be resurrecting more than one series for a definitive finale, considering Hey Arnold will get its conclusion this coming November (oddly enough after 15 years... coincidence I guess).

Shame they won't do some kind of follow up or one off special to Legend of korra as I hated that, that got shoved to online viewing only for its last seasons and though the series finished on a such a high note to me it still felt like they could have fitted way more in.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 am

The Dark Tower - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwfqXTebIY
Not familiar with the novels/comics but is a must watch for me with the leads being among my top 3 favorite currently working actors. (the other being Fassbender)
I am told by a strong fan that it doesn't resemble the source at all, Thoughts?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed May 03, 2017 10:25 pm

^That strong fan you mentioned is completely right. It seems as if they are merging elements from multiple books, especially the second, The Drawing of the Three. I wonder a version of either Eddie or Susanna will appear is this film if that's the case?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 04, 2017 12:11 am

I love The Dark Tower series! It could very easily be the greatest work Stephen King has ever done! It's certainly the most complex & intricate. They're truly wonderful reads that feature some of the best pure writing King has ever done & really showcases why he's one of the most important authors of the past 50 years!

If this movie was supposed to be a direct adaptation of the books I would be upset/wary because it's nothing like them. But, the interesting thing is this film & the series it could inspire if it's a hit is meant to be -

SPOILER: Show
a sequel to the novels. It's said to work perfectly fine as a standalone movie but that the narrative makes the viewer aware this is a continuation of a previous story.

I'm cautiously optimistic. At the very least I hope this & IT are good adaptations so I can pull a Double Feature sometime soon.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:^That strong fan you mentioned is completely right. It seems as if they are merging elements from multiple books, especially the second, The Drawing of the Three. I wonder a version of either Eddie or Susanna will appear is this film if that's the case?

They've already said that they won't be.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 04, 2017 10:04 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:If this movie was supposed to be a direct adaptation of the books I would be upset/wary because it's nothing like them. But, the interesting thing is this film & the series it could inspire if it's a hit is meant to be -

SPOILER: Show
a sequel to the novels. It's said to work perfectly fine as a standalone movie but that the narrative makes the viewer aware this is a continuation of a previous story.

I'm cautiously optimistic. At the very least I hope this & IT are good adaptations so I can pull a Double Feature sometime soon.

Yeah, the setup has me going, "oh hey, these guys know what they're doing." I don't know how well it will work, but I'll give them a chance to convince me.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 pm

'Ey yo String, where's Walter?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 08, 2017 7:57 pm

OMG, forums you have failed me.

Why didn't anybody tell me CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS is getting a movie?? https://youtu.be/zs2SrqLum1M
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon May 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Captain Underpants is one of those things we're embarrassed to admit we liked as kids, as adults. It's about a FAT GROWN MAN IN HIS UNDERWEAR, and it has no end of dookie and toilet jokes. Something none of us responsible adults want to admit we liked as kids, even though we all did.

Return to “Film and Video”