Ghosts of Evangelion

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Gemini011
Adam

Re: Ghosts of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Gemini011 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:20 pm

I love this story so much. Glad to see you're still making occasional progress on it.

Re: a hypothetical Japanese title for the fic, is there a particular reason you went with "remnant" in katakana rather than using any of the options to be found in http://jisho.org/search/remnant?
Interviewer: How much rewriting do you do?
Hemingway: It depends. I rewrote the ending of Farewell to Arms, the last page of it, 39 times before I was satisfied.
Interviewer: Was there some technical problem there? What was it that had stumped you?
Hemingway: Getting the words right.

It could be just me but I'd rather watch two damaged people help each other stand up than an over-idealized kisskisslovelove sugarbowl. The former has far more "d'awwww" potential.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:45 pm

View Original PostGemini011 wrote:I love this story so much. Glad to see you're still making occasional progress on it.

I'm glad you enjoy it!

Re: a hypothetical Japanese title for the fic, is there a particular reason you went with "remnant" in katakana rather than using any of the options to be found in http://jisho.org/search/remnant?

The main reason is because my Nihongo is very, very bad. -o-; I am very much open to correction on that front (the version I posted was straight out of Google Translate, and thus terrible), so if someone were to say "well, for that particular title you'd probably go with something like this instead" I wouldn't argue for an instant.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:34 am

I actually need to get off my ass and start reading this. Looks like I've got my reading material for Saturday sorted :)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 03, 2016 3:06 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:I actually need to get off my ass and start reading this. Looks like I've got my reading material for Saturday sorted :)

I hope you enjoy (enjoyed?) it!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue May 03, 2016 6:14 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I hope you enjoy (enjoyed?) it!

I've actually only just gotten the chance to start reading it. I ended up being busy Saturday with tidying my apartment, editing my own fic and my girlfriend came over.

I have however just read through the first two chapters and I really like what I've seen so far. I'll be reading more over my lunch break :)

EDIT: I did PM you yesterday but thought I'd also make a post. I've progressed to the 2080 chapters, and I think I'm going to wait until I'm home to read them rather than at my desk, just based on the first paragraph alone. This is such a good story though, really well told.

The way in which you jump from year to year is handled so well and doesn't feel jarring and I really just want to learn so much more about all these periods in their life.

Turing Decidable
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turing Decidable » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:26 pm

This is definitely one of the better fics I've read. Normally, I'm the kind of person who goes for purely WAFFy stories, but I find myself hanging on to your every word.

Particular moments where I could feel tears forming in my eyes were the end of Asuka's babysitting session with Ryuko and Asuka's death scene and seeing Shinji react.

In case you've got anything more in the works, I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:16 pm

I can't believe it's been over two years since I started this.

Anyway, glad you like it! It's on a bit of a hiatus now, but that might change; the chapter structure is deliberately open-ended, meaning that I can come back to it at any time should inspiration strike. Hopefully it will, one of these days . . .

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Well, since today is Shinji's Birthday, maybe you could do separate BIRTHDAY chapters, featuring each of the characters, and how they view their respective birthdays? Like, are they happy with their birthdays?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:19 am

^^^......I second this idea
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Strypgia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Strypgia » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:34 am

One of these days I'm going to have to comb through this thread and paste all the bits into a chronological doc.

Excellent stuff, Bagheera. I'm enjoying it, though I wonder that it would take 11 years and a mildly-grown daughter befor Asuka admits they've basically been married for over a decade. :P

Hi Turing! Funny meeting you here.
Getting blown up is less fun than it sounds like. So I wrote Evangelion WAFF: Advice and Trust And now more: A Crown Of Stars
"Speaking of game material, thanks for indirectly reminding me to check the progress on that moe genderbent Hitler dating sim." --Arkalest
"Dabuhbahgahnehvuh!" --Aleph, 18MAY14 "I am a very charming soup" -- LordSquishy, 23FEB15
"If my grandma is stalking me through a forest I'll stop doing peyote." -- Shinanobi, 31AUG14

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:43 am

I still need to bring myself to read those final chapters, don't think I can do it :P

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:36 pm

So, one of you lot went and created a TVTropes page for this fic (and a rather large one at that). That was actually pretty cool of you; thanks for doing it!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Welcome back Bags. Any progress on the story whilst you've been away?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:11 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Any progress on the story whilst you've been away?

(Tumbleweed passes by)
It would seem not

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I guess that as he has a beginning and an ending and most of the key points between, there's little he feels he needs to add for continuity (even though the order is not sequential). Maybe he'll feel the need one day to fill in more detail in some part or another, but who knows?

Do you find there's any part of our favourite protagonists' journey that is insufficiently covered? If you do, maybe that would encourage him to add a bit more.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Well, there's Asuka's pregnancy with Ryoko. Would've liked to have seen what she and the others went through during that period

Redgirl01
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Redgirl01 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 pm

How did Kyoko and Kaji come back to life? I thought they were dead, why are they there? Is it the ghost thing?
I am autistic with trauma and can act up, too. Sometimes I don't understand people. You just got to explain things better to me so that I can understand.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed May 03, 2017 10:35 pm

View Original PostRedgirl01 wrote:How did Kyoko and Kaji come back to life? I thought they were dead, why are they there? Is it the ghost thing?

Rei in EOE wrote:Anyone can return to human form as long as they can imagine themselves
in their own heart.

Yui in EOE wrote:Don't worry.
All living things have the ability to return to their original form... and the heart to go on living.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 am

It is stated that people can return from instrumentality; it is a matter of debate how far back souls can survive from to enter into instrumentality from which they can then return. Kaji is therefore the least certain of those; Kyoko's soul was in Eva-02, and so was clearly around at the critical time.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Redgirl01
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Redgirl01 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:26 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It is stated that people can return from instrumentality; it is a matter of debate how far back souls can survive from to enter into instrumentality from which they can then return. Kaji is therefore the least certain of those; Kyoko's soul was in Eva-02, and so was clearly around at the critical time.

It didn't show Kyoko was in instrumentality, though so I don't know.
I am autistic with trauma and can act up, too. Sometimes I don't understand people. You just got to explain things better to me so that I can understand.

Return to “Fanfiction”