Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Snow
Lilith

Re: Best Pair

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:It's pretty obvious what my stance is. XD

SPOILER: Show

However, I'm willing to explore other pairing options, like "Wreckage" showed. :)

Well that certainly was unexpected. You could say Akagi learned something from Katsuragi...
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Maya Ibuki & Sakura Suzuhara.

It writes itself.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I believe the topic is Best Pair, not Best Girl.....That is unless you think Gendo and Ritz make the best pair.

:tongue:

He was either referring to a pair of Ritsukos, or Rituko's pair.

I'm more interested in Ritsuko's pear, but I sorta wince at the idea of Ritsuko's pare.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:He was either referring to a pair of Ritsukos, or Rituko's pair.

I'm more interested in Ritsuko's pear, but I sorta wince at the idea of Ritsuko's pare.

:lol: Yeah, I finally now understood what Chuck meant. Misato still has the better pair though. That. Is. A. Fact.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:49 pm

I'd probably go with ShinjiXAsuka, for some obvious reason.
It's just too bad that thier relationship had been practically wrecked by thier problems and insecurities. Because of what happened to them in the show, the relationship between these two seems hopeless (even more so in Rebuild).
But I guess one could hope though.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:17 am

I, for one, am firmly onboard the AsuMari express. I'm fairly accepting of most of the other ships (and will, in fact, support them), but this one always comes out on top for me. It just... really works. The dynamic, the teamwork, the bits of back-and-forth banter canon's given... And now, because I know I'd otherwise ramble on and on about it, I'll cut myself off here.
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 am

View Original PostFyrstorm wrote:The dynamic, the teamwork, the bits of back-and-forth banter canon's given...

... eh?

They only interacted in 3.0, and their banter screamed to me that they were something like two cops; a good and a bad one forced to work with each other although they eventually had to get used to it and ended up just working well together in the workforce.

Mari picks on Asuka, almost reminiscent of an older sibling i.e. telling her that she just wanted to see "puppy-boy" again, bailing on her in the opening scene, etc.

Asuka calls her names, although they aren't something so much of a pet-name like "Stupid Shinji" but rather something like "Four-Eyed Crony" (in the dub, at least). I feel as if the distinction is important, as well as how she acts as Mari's superior.

I'm not saying that they don't work well together, it's just that I can't imagine them in a proper romantic context, but rather something like roommates.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:38 am

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:... eh?

They only interacted in 3.0, and their banter screamed to me that they were something like two cops; a good and a bad one forced to work with each other although they eventually had to get used to it and ended up just working well together in the workforce.

Mari picks on Asuka, almost reminiscent of an older sibling i.e. telling her that she just wanted to see "puppy-boy" again, bailing on her in the opening scene, etc.

Asuka calls her names, although they aren't something so much of a pet-name like "Stupid Shinji" but rather something like "Four-Eyed Crony" (in the dub, at least). I feel as if the distinction is important, as well as how she acts as Mari's superior.

I'm not saying that they don't work well together, it's just that I can't imagine them in a proper romantic context, but rather something like roommates.

Eh, well maybe I'm a bit spoiled by the fan content. Canon's a bit lacking in stuff, so my points there are kinda exaggerating if you look solely at what's official. Really, a good chunk of my appreciation for it is just due to the potential and fan content.

And yeah, that's an understandable point. It's just how we view things.
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 am

Funnily enough I'm the same with Mari/Rei as a pairing. We don't really see them interact outside of maybe one or two times but I can just see a lot of potential there for them for some reason.

My main pairing will always be Shinji/Asuka, there is something about the two of them that just seems to work for me. They just seem to complement one another really well in my eyes.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:00 am

jcmoorehead wrote:Funnily enough I'm the same with Mari/Rei as a pairing. We don't really see them interact outside of maybe one or two times but I can just see a lot of potential there for them for some reason.

My main pairing will always be Shinji/Asuka, there is something about the two of them that just seems to work for me. They just seem to complement one another really well in my eyes.

Couldn't have said it better myself, but hell, I'll try.

Rei/Mari just seems adorable, in the vein of straight man/comedian, and the potential for a loving and hilarious relationship is there given the right circumstances. As for Shinji/Asuka, again, with the right circumstances they could be great (like the S.I. Raising Project), and I just see them as being perfect for each other.

Unfortunately there is only four canon pairings, Kaji/Misato, Gendo/Yui, Gendo/Ritsuko, Kyoko/Langley, and maybe a fifth with Gendo/Naoko... and none of those qualify for best pair considering how they end up.

But the pairings we enjoy are what fanfiction is for.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Funnily enough I'm the same with Mari/Rei as a pairing. We don't really see them interact outside of maybe one or two times but I can just see a lot of potential there for them for some reason.

That where I want the final rebuild movie to go because it means Rei doesn't get the short changed and she will get the chance to be loved. Plus Rei is basically like Yui daughter since she was created from her DNA so only furthers the reason for this pairing as Mari liked Yui in the manga but got rejected because Gendo was chosen over her and this would allow her character to get what she wants and give her a happy ending.

On the subject of Asuka/Mari though in rebuild I see them more as friends with benefits but saying this I'm open to them as a couple in AU fanfiction or as Mari taking on the older sibling role in some form and looking out for Asuka.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:16 am

I'm a big Shinji Asuka shipper. They're just so cute together! Plus if they got to grow up and mature a little I think they would've really helped each other overcome their separate insecurities. Perhaps that'd make them co-dependent? Oh well, still adorable and I'll still make fan art.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 am

Mari is too mentally stable to be in a relationship with any of the main cast, MxR/A/S would be too sane and un-Eva. :tongue:

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:But the pairings we enjoy are what fanfiction is for.

Very true ^_^
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 pm

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:I'm a big Shinji Asuka shipper. They're just so cute together! Plus if they got to grow up and mature a little I think they would've really helped each other overcome their separate insecurities. Perhaps that'd make them co-dependent? Oh well, still adorable and I'll still make fan art.

nods approvingly

Joseki wrote:Mari is too mentally stable to be in a relationship with any of the main cast, MxR/A/S would be too sane and un-Eva. :tongue:

Aha, I've figured it out: Mari x Shigeru confirmed.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:

Aha, I've figured it out: Mari x Shigeru confirmed.

What a time to be alive. I would love to see Shigeru somewhere, though. The nihillist doesn't get enough airtime.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm

MariSuka works great, we have unambiguous proof of such thanks to Suimame.

MariRei seems weird to me, as I tend to think they'd be confused by one another and get bored really quickly. I mean, if Mari teases Shinji or Asuka she gets a pleasing reaction, but if she teased Rei she'd get nothing but frustration. I don't really see it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:Aha, I've figured it out: Mari x Shigeru confirmed.

Mari x Kensuke, with her making fun of him for not being a pilot and then kissing him.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Bagheera wrote:MariRei seems weird to me, as I tend to think they'd be confused by one another and get bored really quickly. I mean, if Mari teases Shinji or Asuka she gets a pleasing reaction, but if she teased Rei she'd get nothing but frustration. I don't really see it.

Well, maybe Mari wants someone who doesn't always react, and the challenge would then be to make them react in some way. You know, the conquest or whatever, making Rei laugh at something would keep her very interested.

MuscleRobo wrote:I'm a big Shinji Asuka shipper. They're just so cute together! Plus if they got to grow up and mature a little I think they would've really helped each other overcome their separate insecurities. Perhaps that'd make them co-dependent? Oh well, still adorable and I'll still make fan art.

Well, co-dependence aside... they both need people around them to make them happy, so I don't think they would really think it's anything but normal to be dependent on others (Shinji for approval, and Asuka for attention).
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Redgirl01
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Redgirl01 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:14 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Bite your tongue, fool.

As to the OP, I love the idea of Mari/Kaworu. Mari would be completely immune to Kaworu's "I am an Angel here to CRUSH YOUR SOUL" bullshit, and seeing him taken completely off-balance like that would be delightful.

Bite your tongue and fool? You're just defending too much. Some people are going to call the characters overrated and that's just an opinion, nothing serious. Some people just don't like Ritsuko or Misato.

I'm a big Shinji Asuka shipper. They're just so cute together! Plus if they got to grow up and mature a little I think they would've really helped each other overcome their separate insecurities. Perhaps that'd make them co-dependent? Oh well, still adorable and I'll still make fan art.

That would be cool.
I am autistic with trauma and can act up, too. Sometimes I don't understand people. You just got to explain things better to me so that I can understand.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”