Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

RadicalRandy
Adam

Re: Star Wars

Postby RadicalRandy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 pm

R1 is just a few years before Empire, and it's completely understandable that they would be using similar models (outfitted different, of course) for the Battle of Hoth. However, this is taking place 30 years after ROTJ. AT-TEs were used in the Clone Wars and were of a radically different design compared to AT-ATs. If these new walkers look too similar to AT-ATs without proper justification, I'll be disappointed. Again.

Starkiller Base is stupid, honestly. I would've preferred if they made it the capital ship using methods of bombardment a la the Leviathan in KOTOR. Starkiller Base is just a discount Death Star reenactment. At least change the shape...
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:30 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:Starkiller Base is stupid, honestly. I would've preferred if they made it the capital ship using methods of bombardment a la the Leviathan in KOTOR. Starkiller Base is just a discount Death Star reenactment. At least change the shape...

I agree with that I think they should've used a biological weapon similar to a nuke that kills in a similar way but leaves the planet buildings completely untouched, because they they could have sent it to one planet (Coruscant) and then sent out the threat to the others to get on their knees and obey or the same will happen to them and to hand over the rebel leader Leia or they'll fire it on two more planets. Cue the countdown with the rebel attacking the weapons base and a load of people attacking General Leia's base from the sky and being killed because they want to capture her and give her to Empire.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:58 pm

I do believe that they used chemical weaponry against the Geonosians post-Death Star completion for a (nearly) complete genocide to keep the station a secret. It was very effective, considering that it wiped out an entire planet minus one worker.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:06 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:R1 is just a few years before Empire, and it's completely understandable that they would be using similar models (outfitted different, of course) for the Battle of Hoth. However, this is taking place 30 years after ROTJ. AT-TEs were used in the Clone Wars and were of a radically different design compared to AT-ATs. If these new walkers look too similar to AT-ATs without proper justification, I'll be disappointed. Again.

This is a bit amusing, as a fair bit of the military hardware in use in the real world is well over 30 years old. The most popular firearm in the world, for example, remains the AK-47 -- which first entered service in 1949, close to 70 years ago. The M1 Abrams, still the main U.S. battle tank, entered service in 1980, 37 years ago. The YF-23, regarded as a newer fighter model, first entered service in 1990, 27 years ago. The A-10 Thunderbolt entered service in 1976, and is scheduled to remain in service until at least 2028.

Simply put, 30 years is nothing when it comes to service history for military tech.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:32 pm

The next season of Rebels will be the final season, as many expected. Sad to see it end, but also glad that it'll get a proper ending unlike Clone Wars.

Dave Filoni teased an image of a character Warwick Davis will be voicing, Rukh. Those of you familiar with Legends will know that...

SPOILER: Show
Rukh was a bodyguard that served Thrawn, that would later betray and assassinate him. I'm really hoping they take a different route with this.

Dave Filoni also confirmed that Ashoka will be making a return. During the entire Rebels panel, he was wearing a shirt that said "Ashoka Lives ? ", and after showing the season 4 trailer, he had changed his shirt to "Ashoka Lives ! ". Looking forward to her return and the role she'll play.

Although I'm less certain that it will happen, I think it would be nice to feature the Ghost crew's perspective of the Battle of Scarif. Sort of doubt they'll be able to work it in, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:54 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is a bit amusing, as a fair bit of the military hardware in use in the real world is well over 30 years old. The most popular firearm in the world, for example, remains the AK-47 -- which first entered service in 1949, close to 70 years ago. The M1 Abrams, still the main U.S. battle tank, entered service in 1980, 37 years ago. The YF-23, regarded as a newer fighter model, first entered service in 1990, 27 years ago. The A-10 Thunderbolt entered service in 1976, and is scheduled to remain in service until at least 2028.

Simply put, 30 years is nothing when it comes to service history for military tech.

Tbf, this is Star Wars tech. I try to support my points from in-universe examples of technological progression.

silvermoonlight wrote:I agree with that I think they should've used a biological weapon similar to a nuke that kills in a similar way but leaves the planet buildings completely untouched, because they they could have sent it to one planet (Coruscant) and then sent out the threat to the others to get on their knees and obey or the same will happen to them and to hand over the rebel leader Leia or they'll fire it on two more planets.

The weapon(s) used for the Geonosian genocide supposedly did not destroy the buildings/underground caves, as shown in Rebels. They just got dun killed.

Sachi wrote:Dave Filoni teased an image of a character Warwick Davis will be voicing, Rukh. Those of you familiar with Legends will know that...

Dave Filoni also confirmed that Ashoka will be making a return. During the entire Rebels panel, he was wearing a shirt that said "Ashoka Lives ? ", and after showing the season 4 trailer, he had changed his shirt to "Ashoka Lives ! ". Looking forward to her return and the role she'll play.

Honestly didn't even think that was Rukh in the trailer because I've associated Noghris with those blue fellas from Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy and generally having a wider head. I've still got mixed feelings about Ahsoka living past Season 2. A duel versus her former master ending in her death would have been a very interesting ending to her storyline.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:30 am

Well, after watching the teaser, the title makes a lot more sense now, the Jedi Order may end, but force users will not. It is quite logical, with users choosing a side of the force would throw things out of balance. I see a future where people will use both light and dark force powers like the Grey Jedi of the Expanded Universe. Also hoping that they have a cool name to replace "Jedi" with Luke being alone for so long, he should have a list...

Also... this is basically my sentiments about the movie as a whole.
Noooope  SPOILER: Show
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:40 am

As someone put it best online: The Jedi will end like the Empire will end..... it didn't. It just got a rename.
It's not the Empire. It's the First Order.
He's not Darth Vader. He's Kylo Ren.
That's not the Emperor. That's Supreme Leader Snoke.
It's not a Death Star, you fool. It's a Starkiller Base. Duh.

It's a great foreboding title & I'm positive Rian Johnson is going to make an excellent movie but the Jedi really aren't going anywhere.

Disney is following their Marvel template & wants to ALWAYS have new Star Wars theatrical content on the horizon to always keep people's interest on high. The plan is one new grand-scale Star Wars film every year for the foreseeable future. Most likely a few years down the line they'll expand to releasing two Star Wars a year & possibly more. Plus, at some point they'll start branching out to Netflix TV shows. A network TV show. Streaming content. Shorts. Etc etc. Kind of like how back in 2010 Marvel's grand plans was one or two theatrical movies a year but slowly grew their empire so that they're now in a place where every calendar year they will have THREE Theatrical Features (Guardians 2, Spider-man 6, Thor 3), THREE Netflix TV seasons (Iron Fist, The Punisher Reboot, The Defenders), an ongoing network show (Agents of Shield) & more. Every year. Marvel fans will never want for content again.

That's where Disney wants to have Star Wars within the next decade. Probably after they finish this new "Saga Trilogy" or Episodes VII-XI. I think by 2023 we'll be looking at two or three Star Wars movies a year. Some of those will have to feature Jedi.

The way I call it:
Luke will be the Last True Jedi. Kylo Ren will be redeemed & go on to train the New Jedi. Insert name for "Totally not Jedi force but it's absolutely the Jedi.

I'm also 100% positive Luke Skywalker will die in either this film or the next because A) it's an easy way to work in an Empire Strikes Back style downbeat ending & B) it's basically Star Wars tradition now for the mentor to die & & C) once Luke is gone Disney can continue Star Wars without ever having to really bother with the original cast ever again. All the other original cast members left from Star Wars are either super small supporting OR completely hidden behind a robot or alien mask. From what I've been told, behind closed doors Disney is more than ready to move past working with everyone involved in the original films when it comes to making new Star Wars product BUT they'll gladly keep working with them as a marketing tool. The classic cast & crew will keep showing up at Star Wars Con or whatever that yearly event last week was. Disney is especially ready after people collectively shrugged their shoulders when they tested zombie Peter Cushing in Rogue One. Grand Moff Tarkin's role in the film was apparently less story essential (they apparently had another route in place originally) & more as a test of CG Zombie casting. People's reaction was as usual a collective shrug & a fuck it attitude. Audiences could tell the guy was a computer effect but most people don't analyze movies & let things wash over them & as long as the zombie in question isn't in the now culturally they're okay with it. They backfired with CG Zombie Leia at the end of the film but wait a few years & Disney will bring back zombie Carrie Fisher if the story calls for a cameo. Disney doesn't want to be beholden to actors from the original films who can make pretty big contract demands. Mind you, they'll keep milking the classic George Lucas era of Star Wars for decades to come with Young Han Solo & Baby Boba Fett movies & much much more but they want to have complete control over talent & not risk anyone complicating deals. I've heard Alden Ehrenreich has basically signed a real Marvel style when he took on the role of Han Solo.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Won't happen but I really think the best option if they decide they want to do stuff with the original characters is do full cgi films like the various Star Wars video game cinematic trailers. Move away from the cartoon-ish stylized designs of clone wars/rebels.
Even if it's not canon, I would love to see adaptions of something like Dark Empire & such done like that. (Madhouse doing a anime adaption of them would be solid also although probably would not warrant a theatrical release)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Cool official concept art posters for Rogue One.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:24 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:no longer be a Vader copy cat.

The thing is, being a Vader copycat is kind of inherent to who Kylo Ren is. He dresses up and acts like Darth Vader because he wants to live up to his grandfather's high standard.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:55 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:The thing is, being a Vader copycat is kind of inherent to who Kylo Ren is. He dresses up and acts like Darth Vader because he wants to live up to his grandfather's high standard.

That is true but in my view it hurts the character because all he'll ever be is a copy cat if the writers give him more leg room to move and grow he could be way more interesting. I'm not saying he should ditch his look or his helmet, just make him something beyond a boy who has tantrums when he doesn't get his way make him really scary and show him killing someone just for kicks in front of others or gutting them with a light sabre. You feared Vader because you had no idea who he might kill when he entered the room and you knew someone might die for speaking out of turn with Kyo I just don't feel this yes he killed his dad but it felt more like an act of spite to me.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:26 pm

That helmet looks silly and the realization that it does nothing but change his voice for no reason undermines the character.

I mean, emulating Darth Vader is fine as a character trait and all but wearing a voice changer helmet to do so is Spaceballs shit.

I'll forgive it if he ditched it permanently in VII.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:19 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:That helmet looks silly and the realization that it does nothing but change his voice for no reason undermines the character.

I mean, emulating Darth Vader is fine as a character trait and all but wearing a voice changer helmet to do so is Spaceballs shit.

I'll forgive it if he ditched it permanently in VII.

Here, you dropped this: I

I personally disliked VII for being a discount ANH/OT wrapped up into a worse movie. Kylo Ren's persona to mimic Darth Vader was just one of those things to contributed, especially with the addition of his helmet, etc.

I'm sure he's not going to be wearing in Ep. VIII to dig deeper into his character, which is easier without the mask in the way (literally and figuratively).

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:43 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:That helmet looks silly and the realization that it does nothing but change his voice for no reason undermines the character.

The mask, voice changer included, makes sense when you consider he's ashamed of his humanity and is doing his best to repress it. Another parallelism with Anakin: Ben Solo was weak, and so Kylo Ren destroyed him.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:Here, you dropped this: I

I was actually referencing the way he wears it for the first 2/3 of FA and then takes it off and never puts it back on for the rest of the movie. ;)
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu May 04, 2017 3:36 pm

It's May The Fourth Be With You!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Wow the Han Solo movie lost it's directors.

Although the young Han Solo Star Wars spinoff has been shooting since February, THR has just announced that directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller have parted ways with the project.

President of Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy, released the following statement:

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon.”

Lord and Miller add:

“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew."

It's practically unheard of for a movie to lose its director this far into production, so this is a very surprising development indeed. Sources report that there are only a couple of weeks left on the shoot with re-shoots scheduled for later in the summer, so it's going to be very interesting to see how all of this unfolds.

Han Solo is expected to stick to its current release date of May 25, 2018.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Oof. That HAN SOLO movie is gonna be soooo bad*. Even the Kings of Bad Movie Ideas can't save it. Plus they were axed after more then four months of shooting with only two or three left. Everyone on that movie is about to get a healthy paycheck as the schedule for that film goes over & over & OVER.

*In the end it will probably end up being incredibly bland.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:37 pm

I know we'll probably never know what actually happened, but godfuckingdammit, what the fuck must have happened for them to bounce after the bulk of filming has already been completed?

I mean, there must have been a set script in place, which they must have read and agreed to film before becoming involved with the project, so what the hell?

One wonders, given the amount of work they've already done if they'll retain any sort of screen credit.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”