Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:44 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Only seen the trailers but the 3D animation looked like what haters of the rebuilds describe it's animation as looking like.
Backgrounds & such looked good but the character animation seemed very jerky & stiff. Way overly 3D.

Watched both cours all the way through, and no, not so much. It gets far more hate than it deserves.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Watched both cours all the way through, and no, not so much. It gets far more hate than it deserves.

Fair enough, story looked interesting regardless so it is on my eventually watch list.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm

I don't hate Knights of Sedonia, I just couldn't get into it after about 3 episodes.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:24 am

Apparently the Shin Godzilla Blu-ray contains a flyer for Toho's animated Godzilla movie. It appears the official title is.....

GODZILLA: MONSTER PLANET.

Sounds interesting. Godzilla via a King Kong/Prometheus venue. Plus who knows what other monsters will be on said planet.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Did some rewatching, some random thoughts...
King Kong (1933)
- Brontosaurus attack made for a really good moody sequence.
- Fay Wray is better then I recall.
- The Native Wall set is magnificent.
Son of Kong (1933)
- Robert Armstrong I honestly think was better in this then in the original. That said his interaction with female characters is just as awkward much of the time.
- Him & Reicher have pretty good likeable comradery.
- Helen Mack is terrible in any scene that she is suppose to be anything but innocently ernest or cute.
- Fight with the long necked predator was well done.
King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)
- Sadly the most iconic G film (on a conceptual level) happens to be 2nd worst of the franchise after Revenge.
- People say the 70s films looked cheapest, I really think except for the 1 castle at the end, this had worse sets & props.
- Kong suit is awful. Close up puppet is even worse.
- G suit is apparently well liked but I hate the oversized arms/hands, & upper jaw, he looks way too goofy.
- Film did good connecting to Raids Again with G breaking out of the iceberg, but then the added American scenes of UN reporters ruin it by basically acting like Godzilla has never been seen before.
- Morally questionable as it may be, the use of a real octopus for the beach attack looks fantastic on screen. And even the puppet Kong actually picks up looks decent. Makes for the best sequence in the film.
- I did strongly appreciate the realistic touch of Japan sending a Destroyer to prohibit the ship transporting Kong from entering Japanese waters all like "lol no... fuck no dude"
- I have only seen the American version & I appreciate that the film was originally a salary man comedy with Kajiu as plot devices but it just doesn't translate.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm

^ The American version is the only version of King Kong vs Godzilla that exists anymore. Toho completely lost the Japanese version. That being said, the original Japanese version did not have the much rumored alternate ending where Godzilla won. King Kong was always intended to be the winner of that film. The currently existing Japanese version of the film simply reverse-engineers the American version to be more like the Japanese version with some editing and ADR.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Godzilla: Monster Planet is VERY sci-fi.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863

Sounds promising. But also sounds very over-stuffed and could just as easily work like gangbusters as it could crash & burn. Also the film has been given a release date in Japan of November. If that's theatrical it leaves me doubting Netflix will be releasing the film this year but that's a different thing altogether.

Whatever the film ends up being, major props should be given to Toho for letting the new era of Godzilla be a very malleable series. It would be so easy to just follow the Godzilla Vs. Insert Monster blueprint but with Anno's political commentary masterpiece Shin Godzilla & now this heavy sci-fi anime feature they are experimenting which is always commendable!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:36 pm

I have to give them props for doing something different for a change. Not sure about the story; I've always been fond of the "he is not our friend, but he's not necessarily our enemy and he sure seems to hate those guys a whole bunch" take on the guy (Legendary's, to be sure, but also much of the Showa and Heisei era's as well). So, it will be hard for me to get behind a story that's based on Godzilla ending human civilization. But at the same time the story is unusual enough that I want to give it a chance and see what happens!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:56 am

Hi.

Legendary's Godzilla isn't indifferent to humanity. Individual humans are beneath his notice but he's a protector deity, not a giant lizard. He's a supernatural being who can control waves and storms and materialize and dematerialize at will.

The Legendary movies have both, so far, looked straight at the audience, winked, and announced that Godzilla, Kong, etc. are deities. They're not giant animals, they're gods.

Juilet Binoche's character in Godzilla 2014 straight up says it. In the Legendary version, Godzilla isn't created by nuclear weapons tests, they "awaken" him. The Japanese Professor of Staring into the Middle Distance describes him as a predator that preys on other giant radioactive creatures, but he makes no effort to eat the MUTOs and just abandons their bodies after they die.

Kong keeps devils in the ground, ffs.

btw I saw Skull Island and it was great, I wish Godzilla had shown and involved the monsters that much. Not every monster movie has to be Jaws.

Bye.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:21 pm

^ i thought that version of Godzilla was less protector and more territorial animal, like how a lion will kill a hyena or leopard to get rid of competition for food and space.

As far as the anime film goes, i like that direction they're taking. It's a departure from the norm and using the freedom that animation gives to explore that. Whether it works out or not i still think it's worth exploring, given the potential to breathe ( :wink: ) new life to a franchise in a new medium. Godzilla is 63 years old, having 3 different continuities at once makes it a good time to be a Godzilla fan.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:05 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:He's a supernatural being who can control waves and storms and materialize and dematerialize at will.

wtf? Pretty sure I might have noticed that.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:54 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:21 am

Godzilla: Monster Planet is perhaps the craziest, wildest take on the franchise since Toho introduced both legit religious elements and space aliens with the inclusion of both Mothra and King Ghidorah respectively in 1964. (I don't count the questionably functional, ape-worshipping cult in King Kong vs Godzilla, because the causality between the worshippers and the monster is totally out of whack in that film. At the end of the day Kong is still presented by the film as a mindless, flesh-and-blood monster who's simply being appeased by the native's ignorant chants and wine exports, whereas Mothra actually listens to her followers, forecasts the future, acts as a mediator between man and monster on their behalf, has two pocket-sized priestesses... it's pretty great.) My interest in this new Godzilla title just skyrocketed.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:57 am

Funky, it's like the opposite of eva... a world dominated by kaiju must defend itself from the returning ancient inhabitants of that world known as humans.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Godzilla: Monster Planet is VERY sci-fi.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863

Sounds promising. But also sounds very over-stuffed and could just as easily work like gangbusters as it could crash & burn. Also the film has been given a release date in Japan of November. If that's theatrical it leaves me doubting Netflix will be releasing the film this year but that's a different thing altogether.

Whatever the film ends up being, major props should be given to Toho for letting the new era of Godzilla be a very malleable series. It would be so easy to just follow the Godzilla Vs. Insert Monster blueprint but with Anno's political commentary masterpiece Shin Godzilla & now this heavy sci-fi anime feature they are experimenting which is always commendable!

I think the godzilla series has too many human aliens in it. Heres hoping these guys are actually the giant nebula spacehunter 9 cockroaches in disguise from godzilla vs gigan. But yeah the plot sounds like it could be cool, sounds like an opportunity to get a lot of cool kaiju in here. Only issue I have with that is if civilizations already destroyed there isn't much opportunity for giant monster rampages in the big city.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:wtf? Pretty sure I might have noticed that.

I believe it is a reference to the fact that Godzilla's arrival in Honolulu is preceded by a tsunami. Yeah, he's big, but so are aircraft carriers and battleships, and those vessels do not produce tsunamis just by approaching the shoreline.

Also, the thunderstorm in San Francisco. From what I've gathered, thunderstorms are a relative rarity in San Francisco, or the West Coast in general. So, why the hell would one start almost immediately after Godzilla arrives in the city?

Rule of cool in action? Maybe, but it could also give the impression that he is also some kind of elemental god, this physical embodiment of nature, making him seem larger than life, which is impressive, considering that he's a skyscraper-sized radioactive dinosaur. Not only is he this 90,000 ton creature, but he's an agent of the natural world, who creates tsunamis by swimming, whose arrival is heralded by thunderstorms.

At least, that's just my opinion on the matter.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:10 pm

I have little time so I'll be quick:

• Sometimes when he emerges from the ocean there's tusanmi, sometimes there's not.
  • His arrival causes storms.
  • He seems to disappear from the movie itself
  • He's always surrounded by fog
  • He's really fucking loud, except when he just appears out of nowhere
  • He appears from and disappears into water that should be nowhere near deep enough to conceal his body
  • We're told his species preys on the MUTO creatures but he makes no effort to eat them
  • The movie harps on Godzilla as the embodiment of the balance of nature and Unnecessarily French Scientist flat out calls him a god
  • Far from being indifferent to the humans in the movie, he goes out of his way to protect them and doesn't retaliate when he's attacked*
  • Despite apparently being a member of an ancient prehistoric species, there appears to be only one of him

Kong  SPOILER: Show
*Kong is actually more aggressive than Big G. As an underworld guardian, he's less tolerant of human interference in his affairs. It's telling that the humans on his island don't speak. (Also kudos to this movie for finally making the inhabitants of a South Pacific island Asians, instead of making the "natives" "black" because yeah...

Also there's a bunch of shit in the second movie that makes the "a god, for all intents and purposes" line more obviously literal. Skull Island really doubles down on that concept, calling Kong a protector of the underworld, his enemies devils, and then there's the credit stinger that explicitly ties all the now-licensed Toho monsters to figures of worship.

It's also clearly not a foreign concept to the franchise. Godzilla has been supernatural in the Japanese films before and I don't think they ever did a version of Mothra that wasn't some sort of spiritual creature, unless whatever the fuck that is with the six inch tall singing women evolved somehow.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Zeta_One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, though this thread seems appropriate. Here's a review I made for Shin Godzilla. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Sally Hawkins will return for KOM. (personally I wanted the sequel to follow Wantanbe & her but am content with her returning as a side character)

Charles Dance added to the cast.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 19, 2017 1:40 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Sally Hawkins will return for KOM. (personally I wanted the sequel to follow Wantanbe & her but am content with her returning as a side character)

Watanabe was completely wasted in the first film, so I can't blame him for giving the sequel a pass. Hopefully Hawkins will be able to do something interesting this time around.

Return to “Film and Video”