Rick and Morty

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Rick and Morty

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:34 pm

It's Rick. It's all about that sweet sweet McDonald's Mulan Szechuan McNugget sauce.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Eh. The best lies are built on a kernel of truth so it's hard to say.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 am

I was talking with a friend who felt that the way The Rickshank Redemption handled
SPOILER: Show
the divorce of Beth and Jerry
was done poorly, even if he felt it was time for it to come eventually. I could see where he came from, but considering how much the show subverts expectations, I'd wait to see how it plays it out.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:13 pm

I have no reason not to trust the writers. Beth & Jerry's tumultuous marriage has been the main ongoing B story of Rick & Morty since it started. I'm sure the divorce will be given it's full focus once Season 3 actually starts this summer.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I have no reason not to trust the writers. Beth & Jerry's tumultuous marriage has been the main ongoing B story of Rick & Morty since it started. I'm sure the divorce will be given it's full focus once Season 3 actually starts this summer.

I'm kinda hoping that guy I forget the name of from the jerry daycare episode who beth remarries shows up.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:I was talking with a friend who felt that the way The Rickshank Redemption handled
SPOILER: Show
the divorce of Beth and Jerry
was done poorly, even if he felt it was time for it to come eventually. I could see where he came from, but considering how much the show subverts expectations, I'd wait to see how it plays it out.

I can't judge anything based on that standard. Judging even Rick and Morty on how often they subvert expectations in the particular instance can quickly becomes it's own paradox. Subverting expectations always lead to the status quo of the relationship intact, thereby making the show potentially stagnate as the writers proudly proclaimed that the "Status Quo is God!" On the other hand, by giving into the expectations that it usually subverts, the status quo of the relationship is abandoned and the show can potentially become more interesting as it treads new ground. But if the show does that (which it now has) , then it didn't subverted expectations. And if the main draw to the show was the subversion of expectations, then it's instantly compromised, ironically by how far it has left from the Status Quo. But isn't the Status Quo to be expected? How can the show subvert expectations if that has done nothing more than build expectations towards its own Status Quo? And then the paradoxical nature of the show would have ultimately been its one undoing and everything would such starting Season 4.

As a result, I find the rendering of the whole criticism of the show to the mere execution of subversions maintaining that status quo as an inherently moot action to begin with. Instead, I focus on the fact that it's a brilliantly executed dark comedy series that has just about the right combination of genuine darkness and genuine humor, especially given it's more-than-solid character writing. Giving into expectations and ironically changing the Status Quo by doing so still keeps that intact without sacrificing the nature of the show.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Return to “Film and Video”