1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - FINAL UPDATE 9/APRIL/2019 (AT 4000 FILMS!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - FINAL UPDATE 9/APRIL/2019 (AT 4000 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:03 am

FINAL UPDATE ON THE 9TH OF APRIL 2019! NOW WITH A SPREADSHEET VERSION WITH MORE DETAILS!

Hello, and welcome to the...

1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread

This is a project inspired by the 1001 X Things in Y Medium You Must Check Out Before You Die books you find in bookstores, newsagents and whatnot, with the theme being focused on animated films. This is a project dedicated to finding 1001 animated films, shorts, TV episodes and anything else from all four corners of the Earth, and collecting them together into a document of some sort to give to people. From the famous films of Disney and Ghibli right down to innovative shorts on the internet, every fan of animation will find something new to enjoy!

I've spent the last two years looking for suggestions and recommendations to go into the project, and the limit of 4000 has finally been reached. So I'm closing this stage of the project, as I plan to figure out how to move forward with things. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to some way or another over the years!

Here's what was included as part of the last update:

SPOILER: Show
1001 Animated Films: (3999 so far -- 18:29, 5/April/2019)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gNsbP_u5H6EDlV7ZqKJTxWusqWatcjol/view?usp=sharing

REMOVALS/CHANGES:

Before The 30s (1):

HARVEST FESTIVAL SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MADE IN 1930, SO IT WAS MOVED OVER TO THE 30s

1930s (1)

THE DEVIL'S BALL SEEMS TO BE AN ALTERNATE NAME FOR THE MASCOT, SO IT WAS REMOVED FOR BEING A POTENTIAL DUPLICATE

1940s (4)

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: HARE RIBBIN' WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: EATIN' ON THE CUFF WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: WHAT'S COOKIN', DOC? WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: THE GREAT PIGGY BANK ROBBERY WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

1950s (2)

GUMBASIA WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

GOLIATH II WAS ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN 1960, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED FROM HERE TO THE 60s

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY ONE FILM, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW REDUCED BY ONE

1960s (1)

TALES OF A STREET CORNER WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY ELEVEN FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY ELEVEN

1970s (1)

MAKE ME PSYCHIC WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

1980s (1)

ONCE UPON A TIME THERE LIVED A DOG WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY ONE FILM, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY ONE

1990s (5)

FRANZ KAFKA WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

"Chika Gentō Gekiga: Shōjo Tsubaki" WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THE JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE OVA IS ACTUALLY A 6 EPISODE SERIES, AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK AS ORIGINALLY ASSUMED, SO IT WAS REMOVED

GUNDAM WING: ENDLESS WALTZ IS A 3 EPISODE OVA THAT WAS LATER ADAPTED INTO A COMPILATION FILM, SO IT WAS REMOVED

I GO SEEK WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY TWO FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY TWO

2000s (2)

REN & STIMPY: MAN'S BEST FRIEND WAS ORIGINALLY PRODUCED IN 1992, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED FROM HERE TO THE 90s

AMON TOBIN: NIGHTLIFE WAS RELEASED BACK IN 2005, NOT 2006 AS ORIGINALLY SUSPECTED, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED TO THAT YEAR

X & Y WAS RELEASED BACK IN 2008, NOT 2009 AS ORIGINALLY SUSPECTED, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED TO THAT YEAR

AMAZING NUTS! IS ACTUALLY A SERIES OF MUSIC VIDEOS AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK, SO IT WAS REMOVED

UNBALANCE WAS ACTUALLY PART OF THE ANIMATED ANTHOLOGY 'TOKYO LOOP', SO IT'S BEEN REPLACED WITH THAT ENTIRE ANTHOLOGY

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY TWO FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY TWO

2010s (7)

REDLINE WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE; ONCE IN THE 00s AND AGAIN IN THE 10s; AND HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE 10s SINCE IT PREMIERED IN THE 00s

INTO THE FOREST OF FIREFLIES' LIMELIGHT WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

CRASH! BANG! WALLOW? WAS ACTUALLY RELEASED IN 2009, SO IT WAS MOVED TO THE 00s

MADAGASCAR: A JOURNEY DIARY WAS ACTUALLY RELEASED IN 2009, SO IT WAS MOVED TO THE 00s

WANDERING SON IS ACTUALLY A TV SERIES AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK AS ORIGINALLY ASSUMED, SO IT WAS REMOVED

SHIRANPURI WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME (MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS - CREDITED TO THE SAME DIRECTOR BUT MISSPELT), SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

SCENES/"Jōkei" IS ACTUALLY A SERIES OF SHORTS AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK AS ORIGINALLY ASSUMED, SO IT WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY THIRTEEN FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY THIRTEEN

---

. Pauvre Pierrot (1892), dir. Emile Reynaud -- SamsonSanchoSan
. Le Clown et ses chiens (1892), dir. Emile Reynaud -- JM
. Un bon block (1892), dir. Emile Reynaud -- JM
. Diseases Spread/Byodoku no denpa (1926), dir. Sanae Yamamoto -- Ren Fukuzumi
. A Story of Tobacco/Kemurigusa monogatari (1926), dir. Noburō Ōfuji -- Kōji Yamamura
. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: Hungry Hoboes (1928), dir. Walt Disney -- JM
. The Nation of Fish/Sakana no kuni (1928), dir. Hakuzan Kimura -- Akira Tochigi
. Two Worlds/Futatsu no sekai (1929), dir. Yasuji Murata -- Kōsei Ono

. A Wolf is a Wolf/Okami wa okami da (1931), dir. Yasuji Murata -- Ren Fukuzumi
. Armies of the World/Rekkoku rikugun (1932), dir. Unknown -- Taku Furukawa
. A Day after a Hundred Years/Hyakunengo no aruhi (1933), dir. Shigeji Ogino -- Kōsei Ono
. Spring Comes to Ponsuke/Ponsuke no haru (1934), dir. Ikuo Ōishi -- Taku Furukawa
. An Expression [Hyogen] (1935), dir. Shigeji Ogino -- Akira Tochigi
. Rhythm (1935), dir. Shigeji Ogino -- Hirohito Miyamoto
. Rainbow Parade: Japanese Lanterns/Chinese Lanterns (1935), dir. Burt Gillett & Ted Eshbaugh -- Steve Stanchfield
. Mother Goose Goes Hollywood (1938), dir. Wilfred Jackson -- Andreas Deja

. The Quack Infantry Troop/Ahiru rikusentai (1941), dir. Mitsuyo Seo -- Mirai Mizue
. Arichan the Ant (1941), dir. Mitsuyo Seo -- Kōsei Ono

. Pink Panther: The Pink Phink (1964), dir. Friz Freleng & Hawley Pratt -- ILDC
. Nudnik: Here's Nudnik (1965), dir. Gene Deitch -- JM
. Idea Man (1966), dir. Jim Henson -- JM
. Pink Panther: The Pink Blueprint (1966), dir. Hawley Pratt -- ILDC

. Closed Mondays (1974), dir. Will Vinton & Bob Gardiner -- JM

. Talking Heads: And She Was (1985), dir. Jim Blashfield -- JM
. Martin Dupont: Inside Out (1987), dir. Unknown -- JM
. The Dingles (1988), dir. Les Drew -- JM

. Oruorane the Cat Player (1992), dir. Takahiro Okao, Mizuho Nishikubo -- JM
. Sailor Moon SuperS Plus: Ami's First Love (1995), dir. Takuya Igarashi -- JM

. Aquatic Language (2002), dir. Yasuhiro Yoshiura -- JM
. "Weird Al" Yankovic: Don't Download This Song (2006), dir. Bill Plympton -- ILDC

. Ici, là et partout (2013), dir. Sawako Kabuki -- Adanusch
. "Weird Al" Yankovic: Lame Claim to Fame (2014), dir. Tim Thompson -- JM
. Welcome To My Life (2015), dir. Elizabeth Ito -- JM
. In The Distance (2015), dir. Florian Grolig -- Amid Amidi
. Way of Giants (2016), dir. Alois Di Leo -- Amid Amidi
. Sore Eyes for Infinity (2016), dir. Elli Vuorinen -- Amid Amidi
. Summer’s Puke is Winter’s Delight (2016), dir. Sawako Kabuki -- Adanusch
. Flying Lotus: Post Requisite (2017), dir. Winston Hacking -- Amid Amidi
. Link (2017), dir. Robert Löbel -- Amid Amidi
. The Northeast Kingdom (2017), dir. Alan Jennings -- Amid Amidi
. Grandpa Walrus (2017), dir. Lucrèce Andreae -- Amid Amidi
. The Bonds (2017), dir. Jonathan Gillie -- Amid Amidi
. The Blissful Accidental Death (2017), dir. Sergiu Negulici -- Amid Amidi
. Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires (2017), dir. Mike Mort -- JM
. Candy.zip (2017), dir. Tomoki Misato -- Adanusch
. To & Kyo (2017), dir. Tsuneo Goda -- Adanusch
. Bookanima: Martial Arts (2018), dir. Shon Kim -- Amid Amidi
. Optics (2018), dir. Maxim Zhestkov -- Amid Amidi
. Jeom (2018), dir. Kangmin Kim -- Amid Amidi
. Raccoon and the Light (2018), dir. Hanna Kim -- Amid Amidi
. Kaal (2018), dir. Charlie Aufroy -- Amid Amidi
. Celebrating Mister Rogers (2018), dir. Melissa Crowton & Olivia Huynh -- ILDC
. Dennis the Dinosaur (2018), dir. Gabby Capili -- JM
. The Beatles: Glass Onion [2018 Mix] (2018), dir. Alasdair Brotherston & Jock Mooney (Alasdair+Jock) -- JM
. A Gong (2018), dir. Zozo Jhen, Tena Galovic, Marine Varguy, Yen-Chen Liu, Ellis Ka-yin Chan -- Amid Amidi
. War For Dogs (2018), dir. Felipe Di Poi Tamargo -- Amid Amidi
. Sonder (2018), dir. Neth Nom -- Amid Amidi
. Sketches (2018), dir. Vladimir Tomin -- Amid Amidi
. Tito and the Birds/Tito e os Pássaros (2018), dir. Gustavo Steinberg, André Catoto, Gabriel Bitar -- JM
. The Tower (2018), dir. Mats Grorud -- JM
. My Trip To Japan (2018), dir. Dante Zaballa -- JM
. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), dir. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman -- ILDC, JM
. Lost & Found (2018), dir. Andrew Goldsmith & Bradley Slabe -- Amid Amidi
. Google Spotlight Stories: Age of Sail (2018), dir. John Kahrs -- JM
. Yama no Susume: Having Fun with Classmates!
(2018), dir. Yuusuke Yamamoto -- Adanusch
. EVISBEATS: NEW YOKU (2018), dir. Saigo no Shudan -- Adanusch
. King Gnu: Prayer X (2018), dir. Ryoji Yamada -- Adanusch
. Violence Voyager (2018), dir. Uchija -- Adanusch
. Mogu & Perol (2018), dir. Tsuneo Goda -- Adanusch
. Hugtto! Precure: Shine! Operation Precure Scouting! (2018), dir. Yuuta Tanaka, Junichi Sato & Akifumi Zako -- AshitanoGin
. Hugtto! Precure: Charm the World!? Master Homare, So Tough! (2018), dir. Koudai Watanabe, Junichi Sato & Akifumi Zako -- Yuyucow
. Yama no Susume: Season of Misunderstandings (2018), dir. China (psuedonym), Yuusuke Yamamoto -- Yuyucow
. SSSS.GRIDMAN: Dream (2018), dir. Yoshiyuki Kaneko, Akira Amemiya -- Yuyucow, illegenes, AnimeAjay
. Doraemon the Movie: Nobita’s Treasure Island (2018), dir. Kazuaki Imai -- Yuyucow
. Okko's Inn (2018), dir. Kitarō Kōsaka -- Yuyucow
. Lotte x BUMP OF CHICKEN: Baby I Love You da ze – (2018), dir. Rie Matsumoto and Yuki Hayashi -- Yuyucow
. Devilman Crybaby: Go to Hell, You Mortals (2018), dir. Takashi Kojima, Masaaki Yuasa -- liborek3
. My Hero Academia: One For All (2018), dir. Setsumo Doukawa, Tomo Ookubo & Kenji Nagasaki -- liborek3
. Violet Evergarden: Episode 7 (2018), dir. Takuya Yamamura, Taichi Ishadate -- Emily Rand
. Black Clover: Not in the Slightest (2018), dir. Tatsuya Yoshihara -- DestructoKitteh
. Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018), dir. Tatsuya Nagamine -- JM

For archival purposes, I'm going to include the rest of the opening post for this thread, which you can read if you like.

SPOILER: Show
To get as vast a wealth of films as possible, I'd like whoever comes across this thread to recommend animated films/shorts/episodes/whatnot to the list. If you want, you can even contribute a short piece about whatever film you think should be in the list. All contributors will be credited, either through their forum names or their real names, whichever you prefer.

Obviously, there are some rules to help clarify certain questions, but if you have any, please ask away. So, here's some rules:

-Anything animated will count (traditional, CGI, claymation, puppets, rotoscoping, and anything else).

-Short films will count as part of the list, and that includes entries from series such as Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes and Silly Symphonies.

-However, for series that have dozens if not hundreds of shorts, only five shorts for every fifty can be included (this is to prevent the kind of overcrowding that saw nearly every Legend of Zelda game appear in the 1001 Games book).

-OVAs & TV episodes will count, provided that you can justify their inclusion with cultural impact, production values, etc. They will have the same 'five for every fifty' rule as the shorts.

-Mini-series will count, but must be listed by an episode.

-Package films are viable for entry, and will be listed in their entirety; not just one or two interesting shorts.

-Compilation films (that is, films made from episodes of TV shows) will only be considered for entry if they are made in such a way that they can work as a film, and not as a collection of TV episodes. (For comparison's sake, something like Evangelion: Death and Rebirth would be included, but something like She-Ra: Secret of the Sword would not)

-Live-action films with animated characters or elements will only be included if said elements play such a major part in the film that removing them would render said film pointless; or it's observed that the animated elements are a distinct part of the world, and not effects representing something else (so a film like Looney Tunes: Back in Action could get in, but a film with an otherwise animated intro like Charge of the Light Brigade could not).

-Animated music videos will count, since they technically are short films in their own right.

-FMV games with animated footage, such as Dragon's Lair, will NOT count.

---

Along with those are some longer answers to certain questions:

Q: Is this the final list?

A: No. This is simply just a basic list logging all possible/suggested films. When it gets to a stage where there are more than enough films listed (around 4000 at the very, very most), we'll start cutting down the list and only including the films that are deemed worthy of staying in the list.

Q: What happens to the films that aren't listed as the 1001?

A: They will be included in an honorary mentions index. They will be listed in the same way as the 1001 films, but will not have a write-up dedicated to them. This is to show to the reader that there are way more films out there to check out, and that they might enjoy them more than the 1001 films.

Q: How will the films be listed in the final project?

They will be listed in the same way as the official 1001 books: a screenshot that shows a distinct part of the film, an essay summarizing the film, its historical context and its quality, and details of its crew, the film in general and possibly awards.

The idea is to list those latter elements as follows:

-Director(s)
-Animator(s)/Animation Director(s)
-Storyboarder(s)
-Art Director(s)
-Writer(s)
-Music Composer(s)
-Major Cast Members

-Length
-Language
-Production Company
-Awards Won*
-Awards Nominated*

*May not be included; we're still at the prototype stage

Q: Why is X on this list? It's terrible/unworthy/whatever.

A: Again, we're only listing the films being suggested so far, and everything will be included. Doesn't matter what you think of it, or what I think of it; it's going in the list to be evaluated.

And with that, I'll leave it up to you to give me suggestions. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know and I'll answer them as best as I can. Thank you, and have a good day.

-Jim McGrath/FrDougal9000
Last edited by FrDougal9000 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 am, edited 47 times in total.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: 1001 Animated Films To Check Out (A Community Project)

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 am

Here are my suggestions for the list, as I didn't notice them when I read through it.

Edit: with reasons now.

Pokémon the First Movie (1998) dir. Kunihiko Yuyama
The first Pokémon movie in my opinion was the best of them all. The story was solid, and Mewtwo was the perfect conflicted villian.

Dragonball Z: Bojack Unbound (1993) dir. Yoshihiro Ueda
Admittedly, it's a good movie because Goku doesn't hog all the screen time, as he's dead. It leaves everyone to fight without the guy who always saves the day, even though Goku does give a little help, Gohan still ends up being the hero.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (1997) dir. Yasunao Aoki
For a movie based on an anime, you need little recap of the actual series to make sense of this movie. The plot is well thought out, and the message it sends is quite clear, war, peace and revolution are an Endless Waltz.

The Lion King (1994) dir. Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff
I've always considered this movie to be based partly on Hamlet, murdered king with a usurper on the throne, son takes the throne back by force. Also, the characters are well done, and the songs are pretty catchy as well.

The Incredibles (2004) dir. Brad Bird
Not sure how to explain this movie, it's just fantastic and comes before the superhero craze we have from live action movies today.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:20 am

Fantasia (1940), various directors
Awesome concept, stunning animation. No way this can't be on the list.

Bambi (1942), dir. David Hand
Extremely detailed and painterly tribute to the wilds of the northwest US.

Sleeping Beauty (1959), dir. Clyde Geronimi
Took a number of risks at the time, and they've all paid off. This is stunning to look at.

Watership Down (1978), dir. Martin Rosen
Animation itself is a bit janky, but interesting for its highly naturalistic depictions of animals and very much not (by US standards) kid-friendly story.

Heavy Metal (1981), various directors
Well, I'm not going to claim this is "good", but it's definitely... different.

The Secret of NIMH (1982), dir. Don Bluth
Stunningly gorgeous and emotionally resonant.

The Last Unicorn (1982), dir. Jules Bass & Arthur Rankin Jr.
Art direction based on the Unicorn Tapestries (dat opening sequence!) blended with an often eye-catching anime aesthetic.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988), dir. Isao Takahata
I reckon you've heard of this one.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
Iconic film showing childhood (joys and anxieties alike) from a distinctly Japanese point of view.

Beauty and the Beast (1991), dir. Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise
No explanation needed, I don't think.

Princess Mononoke (1997), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
Ditto.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie (1999), dir. Kunihiko Ikuhara
You can't say this doesn't take full advantage of the medium... One scene exists for the sole purpose of depicting something that's never been shown before.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001), dir. Hironobu Sakaguchi, Motonori Sakakibara
Historically significant for its attempt to push the envelope on rendering realistic humans via CGI.

Spirited Away (2001), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
Another one of the all-time Ghibli greats.

Aachi and Ssipak (2006), dir. Jo Beom-jin
Super smooth, unique aesthetic, and totally off the wall.

Anina (2013), dir. Alfredo Soderguit
Supremely charming tale about a week in the life of a Uruguayan girl. Computer facilitate the animation to very unique effect.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:41 pm

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, EVAGEEKS AND SONIC STADIUM MESSAGE BOARDS, AS OF 21:28 - 9/APRIL/2017.

Thanks to everyone who's suggested already! Keep posting, and I'll keep updating! I'll likely answer questions tomorrow!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 pm

The Wind Rises (2013) dir. Hayao Miyazaki
A movie everyone should see I think, in my opinion it has the most powerful ending of any Ghibli movie and even if it's not going to be his last movie it's probably still going to be considered as Miyazaki's artistic testament.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:20 pm

A lot of the titles that pop into my head are, regrettably, ones I still haven't gotten around to seeing. I assume you only want us to recommend titles we've actually seen, not ones that we've only seen recommended.

Some historically significant additions:

Mickey Mouse in Steamboat Willie (1928), dir. Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks
Betty Boop: Minnie the Moocher (1932), dir. Dave Fleischer
Superman: The Mechanical Monsters (1941), dir. Dave Fleischer
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:17 am

Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story. It's my personal favorite anime film of the new millenium. Also, Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:12 am

Looney tunes: What's Opera, Doc? (1957), dir Chuck Jones
The Snowman (1982), dir Dianne Jackson
Toy Story (1995), dir John Lasseter
Up (2009), dir Pete Docter

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:49 am

1001? This is a recipe for people to list everything they've ever heard of without disctimination.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:14 am

Alright, time to answer a couple of questions as best I can!

Reichu wrote:A lot of the titles that pop into my head are, regrettably, ones I still haven't gotten around to seeing. I assume you only want us to recommend titles we've actually seen, not ones that we've only seen recommended.

To be honest, either one is fine. If you want to recommend films you've seen, I'm more than welcome to list them; just as I'm welcome to list films you haven't seen but know are important. For example, one of the films I listed is Ralph Bakshi's Fritz the Cat, which I haven't yet seen but feel has to be included for being the first relatively mainstream example of adult animation, especially for being released during an era when most people would consider animation as nothing more than kiddy fare.

In short, suggest what you like, and don't worry about whether you've seen it or not. I appreciate the concern, however, so thank you!

pwhodges wrote:1001? This is a recipe for people to list everything they've ever heard of without discrimination.

True, but that is kind of the point. Like I said, my knowledge outside of certain subjects is pathetic, so I'm fairly good to have people list dozens of films at me. Besides, this is only really the stage where I'm just listing suggestions - later on, I'll try to evaluate them (along with a few other people) and at that point, there will be a good few films tossed out before we get to writing about the 1001 we've decided to keep in.

(Though I hope to include the tossed out films in a special index at the back. They won't have a writeup like the main 1001 films; just the production details and maybe a screenshot; but I do feel like they should get an honorary mention, as well as letting people know these films also exist and are worth checking out.)

I hope that clears things up, but I thank you for bringing it up and giving me the chance to clarify.

---

And with that, I'll get back to logging new entries - I'll update the list sometime tomorrow (and it's gonna be a big one, seriously). Thanks again for contributing, everyone, and have a good day!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 am

Tokyo godfathers-2003

I think this is a deeply underrated animation as it brings up gender, homelessness and family though not by blood and it does not sugar coat anything.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:02 am

Detective Conan: Countdown to Heaven (2001), dir. Kanetsugu Kodama
Probably the movie from the cult manga Detective Conan. It has all the elements that made the manga great: the black org, nice pacing, an interesting case and personal drama.

Summer Wars (2009), dir. Mamoru Hosoda
Nothing really extraordinary. A classic anti social nerd is invited by a beautiful girl to a trip with her strange, large family. Then the world is about to end and they all have to cooperate to save it. Funny characters and a sci fi Matrix world.

5 Centimeters Per Second (2007), dir. Makoto Shinkai
A three part teen love story about two distant characters following them as child, teenagers and young adult. Beautifully animated an higly emotional in its simplicity.

The Garden of Words (2013), dir. Makoto Shinkai
Another of Shinkai's simple yet highly emotional works: this time the story is about a teenager and a mysterious female character. Every rainy morning they meet and talk. The climax of the story is a moment of pure emotions.

your name. (2016), dir. Makoto Shinkai
Probably his finest achievement: another teen love story but this time with body swapping. The idea is not really original but the realization is almost flawless.

I also noticed that the 3 (soon 4) Rebuild of Evangelion movies are not in the list. I'll probably add a few names later since now I remember some movies that I really liked but I can't remember their names.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:06 am

Just noticed that you seem to have mixed up my suggestion for The Last Unicorn as a recommend for The Lion King.

And before I forget, definitely add Yellow Submarine to the list. :wink:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:07 pm

There's a temptation to say "everything by Director X or Studio Y" for significant values of X or Y and then work by exception. Some gaps I noticed off the top of my head -- Disney's The Aristocats, Kon's Millennium Actress, Oshii's Patlabor movies, Whisper of the Heart (Yoshifumi Kondō for Studio Ghibli), Laputa and Porco Rosso (Hayao Miyazaki for Studio Ghibli).

Others I liked include A Cat in Paris (Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli), Kirikou and the Sorceress (Michel Ocelot),

We ought not forget Night on the Galactic Railroad (Gisaburo Sugii)

And I'm inclined to add, even though it's hybrid animation and live action, Disney's Song of the South, just because.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, EVAGEEKS AND SONIC STADIUM MESSAGE BOARDS, AS OF 12:11 - 11/APRIL/2017.

Holy shit, I did not expect the list to be filled with so many films! To give you a comparison, the total number of films in the last update (only two days ago) was 128. Now, the total number of films is 276! It's more than double what the previous update what, and we're already over 250 films in just three to four days!

I can't thank everyone who's given recommendations, asked questions or given feedback enough! Seriously, that's incredible, and you guys are the best! Please keep contributing to this project, and I'll post the next update in a couple of days (I might need a rest after all this initial logging). Thank you so much, and have a great day!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:12 pm

FrDougal: Seeing both a couple of Aeon Flux episodes and an entire OVA on the list, but no specifications in the rules regarding OVAs (in whole or in part) or individual episodes from animated series, would you be able to provide some clarification here?

I also notice that, despite the rule "for series that have dozens if not hundreds of shorts, only five shorts for every fifty can be included", some series like Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies have quite a few listed already. Does this mean that, at this point in the game, you're not worrying about the "overcrowding" problem, and if I have a suggestion along the lines of something that has been amply represented I shouldn't bother censoring myself?

You allow for the possibility of "Live-action films with animated characters or elements". A significant number of movies nowadays widely regarded as "live-action" are, in fact, mostly animated, due to CGI, and could not exist without it. Are all of these fair game? How much is too much?

Here are a couple of listings to comb through where you'll find any number of interesting and unique suggestions:

Another thing you may want to do is hit up the library and check out some of the scholarship on animation, which is sure to mention a lot of historically significant (but largely forgotten) and innovative (but obscure) works. Many such texts popped up in Google Books while I was looking around.

Anyway, some more recs from me. First, stuff I've actually seen.

● An Optical Poem (1938), dir. Oskar Fischinger
Abstract animation done entirely with paper cut-outs and stop motion, set to Franz Liszt's "2nd Hungarian Rhapsody". Mesmerizing!

● Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), dir. David Hand
...Too obvious?

● Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor (1936), dir. Dave Fleischer
● Gulliver's Travels (1939), dir. Dave Fleischer
● Donald Duck in Nutzi Land (Der Fuehrer's Face) (1943), dir. Jack Kinney
● The Lorax (1972), dr. Hawley Pratt
● Animalympics (1980), dir. Steven Lisberger

● The Adventures of André and Wally B. (1984), dir. Alvy Ray Smith
2-minute-long CGI short that pushed the envelope in many ways. Animation by none other than John Lasseter!

● My Little Pony: Rescue at Midnight Castle (1984), dir. John Gibbs
The original TV special. Unlike the serialized cartoon that eventually followed, this has actual production values, a commendable sense of visual style, and a quality soundtrack. One of the brighter entries in the darkness of cheap, merchandise-driven 80s animation. (The full-length version of this has never been released to DVD, alas, but can probably be found on YouTube.)

● Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer (1985), dir. Bernard Deyriès and Kimio Yabuki
Expendable, I'm sure, but I nonetheless feel obligated to mention this on account of how weird it is and for some of the rather cool and poignant imagery. (I especially love the robot horse that flies via rocket boosters and the planet-sized diamond through which all light in the universe passes.)

● Stanley and Stella in 'Breaking the Ice' (1987), dir. Larry Malone
3-minute-long CGI short about a bird and a fish who fall in love despite being separated by a sheet of ice.

● The Little Mermaid (1989), dir. Ron Clements, John Musker
The (under)water animation was ground-breaking and extremely labor-intensive.

● The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996), dir. Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise
Probably expendable in the end, given all the other Disney entries, but there is some really good stuff here.

● Rejected (2000), dir. Don Hertzfeldt
The cult classic perhaps most infamous for excessive rectal hemorrhaging.

● Lilo & Stitch (2002), dir. Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders
Allowed the standard-issue Disney aesthetic to bend to a more personal one, that of Chris Sanders. Effective use of CGI and gorgeous watercolor backgrounds create a sharp distinction between the film's two main settings.

● Wall-E (2008), dir. Andrew Stanton
The dialogue-free opening act of this film makes it a must-see.

● The LEGO Movie (2014), dir. Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Veers a bit too close to the contemporary "hyperkinetic CGI junk food" standard for comfort, but there quite a lot of genuinely creative work in here, so long as you don't let yourself blink and miss it.

● The Little Prince (2016), dir. Mark Osborne
The CG parts are rather hit and miss, but definitely worth seeing for the beautiful stop-motion animation sequences done with paper sculpture.

...And a few I've seen come up as recommended:

• Rikki Tikki Tavi (1975), dir. Chuck Jones
  • Allegro non Tropo (1976), dir. Bruno Bozzetto
  • Pontoffel Pock, Where Are You? (1980), dir. Gerard Baldwin
  • Dimensions of Dialogue (1982), dir. Jan Švankmajer
  • The Brave Little Toaster (1987), dir. Jerry Reese
  • Gandahar (1988), dir. René Laloux
  • Sword of the Stranger (2007), dir. Masahiro Ando
  • Metropolis (2001), dir. Rintaro
  • Raining Cats and Dogs (2003), dir. Jacques-Rémy Girerd
  • U (2006), Serge Elissalde and Grégoire Solotareff
  • Colorful (2010), dir. Keiichi Hara
  • The King of Pigs (2011), dir. Yeun Sang-ho
  • The Rabbi's Cat (2011), dir. Antoine Delesvaux, Joann Sfar
  • It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012), dir. Don Hertzfeldt
  • Anomalisa (2015), dir. Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson
  • Boy and the World (2015), dir. Alê Abreu
  • Long Way North (2016), dir. Rémi Chayé
  • The Red Turtle (2017), dir. Michaël Dudok De Wit

EDIT: Added a couple more.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:FrDougal: Seeing both a couple of Aeon Flux episodes and an entire OVA on the list, but no specifications in the rules regarding OVAs (in whole or in part) or individual episodes from animated series, would you be able to provide some clarification here?

Seconded. I've been assuming free-standing feature films which have been distributed to cinemas (even if they form part of an extended franchise, like the Oshii Patlabor movies), but not things on the level of "here are two TV episodes stitched together -- try not to notice the join -- and shown in theatre as one of a multi-part presentation" e.g. Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shou Movie 1 - Tomodachi and the two further forthcoming instalments, however much I might recommend them as anime.

I'm also sure that there are some other French animated films that I've seen -- usually as part of film festivals at the local art-house cinema -- that I'd put forward, if only I could remember them.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Giovanni's Island - a recent lovely film about the Russian/Japanese front in WWII - it makes many references to Night on the Galactic Railroad (and BTW, another show that does is Mawaru Penguindrum).

A film you may well not find mentioned elsewhere is Gauche the Cellist, directed in 1982 by Isao Takahata. It's just 63 minutes long, but took 6 years to make. The key lead animator took cello lessons to ensure he could animate the playing accurately. The story is about a struggling young musician who is given inspiration by a number of anthropomorphised animals which visit him while he's practising. A very sweet story which I recommend to anyone who can manage an hour without frenetic action.

And has no one mentioned Mindgame yet? How surprising!

I like Patema Inverted, though some think it misses the mark.

But then, I hated Dead Leaves which some admire greatly!

I can also live without Redline, though I can see the attraction, and the animation is excellent.

If you are including mixed live and animated, then Who Framed Roger Rabbit must be on the list.
Last edited by pwhodges on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Lucky and Zorba (1998), dir. Enzo D'Alò
Based on "The Story of A Seagull and The Cat Who Taught Her To Fly" by Luis Sepúlveda this italian animated movie is about a seagull that gets caught in the petrol leaking from a leaking tanker while fishing. She successfully arrive to Hamburg were she meet a cat and make him promise that he won't eat the egg she's about to lay, that he will protect it and that he will teach to the newborn to fly.

A Bug's Life (1998), dir. John Lasseter
It's a movie about a bunch of insects, there's really not much to say about it but when I was a kid I loved how everything feels perfectly scaled down compared to us humans.

Pokémon Heroes (2002), dir. Kunihiko Yuyama, Jim Malone
It's Pokémon movie based on two of my favorite Pokémons with an emotional ending, probably the most emotional movie of the franchise.

WALL•E (2008), dir. Andrew Stanton
My all time favorite Pixar movie. The movie is about a cubic robot living on what once was the beautiful earth, now covered in garbage. One day he meets Eve (not Unit 01 tho :tongue: ), a more advanced robot from space and he falls in love with her. The first act of the movie is incredibly strong with no word spoken. The latter part is maybe not as good but the social critic is strong.

Patema Inverted (2013), dir. Yasuhiro Yoshiura EDIT: Already mentioned.
Humans have tried to control gravity but it backfired and now the survivors live underground, otherwise they'll just float into space like baloons. One day Patema, a young girl, has a close encounter with a malignous figure walking on the ceiling. She tries to escape but "falls" into the surface and is stuck in fence but a young man living on the surface, Age, saves her.

There are still some other italian movies that I saw as a child by I don't remember them. :irked:

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I like Patema Inverted, though some think it misses the mark.

I saw it and I thought it was highly undervalued, it's a movie with great visuals and some really good ideas and scene based on fear of heights.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Reichu wrote:FrDougal: Seeing both a couple of Aeon Flux episodes and an entire OVA on the list, but no specifications in the rules regarding OVAs (in whole or in part) or individual episodes from animated series, would you be able to provide some clarification here?

To quote myself from elsewhere:

"I've been thinking about this for some time. Someone asked this about TV episodes, and I said they weren't going in, and then I remembered that I'd included a couple of the early Aeon Flux shorts in the list - and those are referred to as episodes. I'm not sure what course to take in light of that mild hypocrisy on my part. Either I'm going to have to start including TV episodes, or I'll consider doing a separate project about 1001 Animated TV Episodes To Check Out.

Watch this space, I suppose."

Reichu wrote:I also notice that, despite the rule "for series that have dozens if not hundreds of shorts, only five shorts for every fifty can be included", some series like Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies have quite a few listed already. Does this mean that, at this point in the game, you're not worrying about the "overcrowding" problem, and if I have a suggestion along the lines of something that has been amply represented I shouldn't bother censoring myself?

Initially, I'd wanted people to be conservative with their suggestions for series of shorts, but now I'm in the mindset of letting people post however many shorts they want to post. I may as well leave the door open to as many suggestions as possible, and then starting trimming it down to 1001 afterwards. In short, suggest however many shorts you want, and I'll take it into account.

Reichu wrote:You allow for the possibility of "Live-action films with animated characters or elements". A significant number of movies nowadays widely regarded as "live-action" are, in fact, mostly animated, due to CGI, and could not exist without it. Are all of these fair game? How much is too much?

I think the idea I had in my head at the time is that for a live-action film with animation to count, it must have one of two things:

1. Numerous animated sections that are distinctly tied to the film's overall narrative or thematic content. For example, films like Pink Floyd - The Wall or Song of the South use a lot of animated sequences to get their points across, so they are as much a part of the film as the live-action scenes. Conversely, films with one-off or insignificant sections like the Pink Panther series or Two Guys From Texas are only animated for one sequence that contributes very little to what's going on in the film.

2. The fact that the animated elements are distinctly treated as being animated, as opposed to being substitutes for something else. The toons in Roger Rabbit or Looney Tunes: Back in Action are recognized and often lampshaded as being animated characters, very distinct from the human actors. Meanwhile, the dinosaurs in Jurassic World or the everything in the Jungle Book remake are CGI, but we're supposed to believe that they're just as real as Chris Pratt's shitty character or the kid who plays Mowgli.

I'll happily admit that this might be a crappy justification, and that it could lead to nothing but endless bickering about what live-action films to put into the list, which would kinda defeat the whole point of the venture. Again, I'm still trying to figure this whole mess out, and I'll hopefully come to some conclusion in the future.

Incidentally, I think I might include a Q&A section, featuring questions asked by contributors and my answers, just to try and preempt questions from repeating in future.

Thank you for giving me the chance to answer some questions, and reminding me to make some improvements to the rules and elsewhere, along with those links to websites, recommending history books and more film suggestions. I say this a lot to people, but I genuinely really appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you, and have a good day.

Return to “Film and Video”