Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

CommanderFish
Tunniel

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Yep, it's working for me now, too. Thanks!
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

IronEvangelion
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am

Whenever I go to the forums, Chrome is giving me security certificate errors. Says the connection is not secure and the site couldn't prove it was Evageeks. Started last night, and only happens with the forums here.
Final Fantasy VII is being remade, all's right with the world.
BASCH LIVES 2017
#1 Duck Team/Akebi Sasaki (Girls und Panzer) fan.
"There are two things I can't stand: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." -Nigel Powers (Austin Powers: Goldmember)
"Oh no, Haruka! My butt's already split! I think my whole team's butts are split!" -Minori (Senran Kagura: Estival Versus)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am

This has always been so, but browsers are getting more intolerant. To avoid it use http instead of https. We are working on getting a proper certificate, now that they can be got for free.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Shinji feels oddly embarrassed sharing a bath with Kaworu (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... a post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shamsiel-kun
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:28 am

The actual problem is that Google (Chrome's maker) has unilaterally decided that any site not offering a secure connection, or a incorrectly configured secure connection, is inherently dangerous, even if there's nothing on the site that could potentially harm anyone or anything. This means users get warned for potentially present danger when there may be none, probably only increasing the number of people who click through security warnings without reading them (:| .
New versions of Firefox have the same issue, as does anything based on Chromium. Don't know about Microsoft's stuff, I don't use it.

If/When the forum gets its own free certificate, I'd be interested in a tale recounting the procedure, because as I understand it it has some pitfalls that still make it difficult to use.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:55 am

Let's Encrypt provides free certificates; but they only have a life of 90 days, so they are only practical with an automatic update process. There are packages that can, I believe, do this in an Apache environment, and we are looking at that. I use a webserver (Caddy) that has the process built in and used on every site by default, and using this as a reverse proxy in front of an unchanged Apache setup is another option (which I use for those of my own sites which use Apache facilities not currently in Caddy). I have not come across any pitfalls or difficulties in the Caddy implementation; but adding such a thing to a live working Apache setup needs to be cautiously prepared for.

Meanwhile I doubt that there is anything in the forum that makes using the http way in a significant risk for anyone.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Shinji feels oddly embarrassed sharing a bath with Kaworu (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... a post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evageeks.org News and Feedback”