New animated Ghost in the Shell film!

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

New animated Ghost in the Shell film!

Postby movieartman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Following the release & flop of America's live action Ghost in the Shell (2017) we have brewing...

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Japan-headquartered Production I.G. and publisher Kodansha are partnering to develop an animated reboot of “Ghost in the Shell,” based on the hit manga by Masamune Shirow. Production I.G. is responsible for the hit 1995 version of “Ghost in the Shell” that’s heralded as one of the best theatrically-released anime of all-time.

The film will reportedly be helmed by anime veterans Kenji Kamiyama (“Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex” series) and Shinji Aramaki (“Appleseed”). No writers or voice cast have been attached to the project at this time.

Very pleased to hear this. Haven't watched Arise yet but have been told it's the low point in the franchise besides the original Manga's own sequel. So hopefully this will bring things back to the quality of the directors Stand Alone Complex series (which I am currently making my way through and am enjoying a good deal)

Your thoughts/hopes?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: New animated Ghost in the Shell film!

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:06 am

We already have the original film, SAC, and Solid State Society. What can they possibly hope to add at this point?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am

New ideas, charecters, conflicts and situations?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Well, no, it's a reboot. That doesn't suggest new anything. To the extent the basic premise can be clarified or refined SAC already did it, so what can reasonably be added to it at this point in a reboot of the original story?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Speaking of reboots that can't possibly accomplish anything new... The graveyarded tangent is there precisely because of the "opinions (which are not subject to verification or falsification) being presented as facts" problem, and here you are going right back to it.

Thread is going under lock for the time being.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Anime and Manga”