Anno apologizes for 4th film delay

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Anno apologizes for 4th film delay

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:55 am

One wonders what's on those pieces of paper, obviously covered for secrecy reasons.

-A film overview?
-A marketing plan?
-New angel concepts?
-Visual concepts?
-New character designs? (Kaji/Toji/Kensuke/Hikari?)
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:00 am

^Plans to follow Hollywood's lead the last few years and split a franchise's final movie into two parts -o-;
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:25 am

That's the Twitter pictures at max resolution:
SPOILER: Show

Small stuff I noticed

Then I rotated the photo by 90° to see something...

Left part of the picture

Right part of the picture

... but there's nothing to see, as expected.
Last edited by Joseki on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 am

Cool!
I won't try to do any crazy analyzation of things except to say if Khara is willing to publicly show they're working on the film based on their past history of announcements regarding the Rebuild movies I'd guess it puts us at about a year & change from a finished product.

So if I was a betting man I'll put my money down on Summer 2018 as their targeted Japanese release period.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm

I always knew they were working on it but-... *wipes tears*...I didn't expect to get this emotional over it.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:So if I was a betting man I'll put my money down on Summer 2018 as their targeted Japanese release period.

So that puts a U.S. release in spring or summer of 2020 if my math isn't too far off, or maybe even sooner than that, like Christmas 2019 if they translate the moive quick enough.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Well, the current "run a popular Japanese film in theaters a few nights roadshows style to reap mega rewards off a handful of screenings" thing wasn't really around when 3.0 got released so I'd imagine whatever release date Final acquires will eventually include a special roadshow showing in US theaters from Funimation a couple months later a la Shin Godzilla. It's a big enough title that I think Funimation & Khara will assure it gets play in theaters in the US.

Everything else (home video) is a mystery but I do expect whenever Final is released it won't be hard to find a theater in the US playing it for one or two nights a couple months later.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:42 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:One wonders what's on those pieces of paper, obviously covered for secrecy reasons.

-A film overview?
-A marketing plan?
-New angel concepts?
-Visual concepts?
-New character designs? (Kaji/Toji/Kensuke/Hikari?)

The paper size looks like is A3 or equivalent and it's probably printed, so I guess it surely isn't related to the animations process.
Also aren't design usually drew on a white background like the design in the BD booklets are?
The movie format is probably going to be 21:9 like Q was, so I don't think those are backgrounds of any kind.

I really don't know what could they be. :uhh:

BTW given this recent update I suspect we are going to have some updates in the next months and hopefully the new international title at the lantern festival in August.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:49 am

Animation backgrounds rarely adhere to any given aspect ratio of the final product. I've had the opportunity to see animation cels with backgrounds to Gunbuster, and some of the shots in the sleep-over scene were all drawn using a wide landscape aspect ratio so the 4:3 "camera" could pan back and fourth between characters.

In modern animation, backgrounds tend to be heavily computer assembled. Backgrounds aren't accomplished by painting one cohesive background anymore, it's more about layering separate elements together around the animation in order to create a sense of depth.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”