A question about Rei's physical appearance

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: A question about Rei's physical appearance

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:27 pm

The scandal is potential gross misuse of international funds, not Yui. She's nothing more than a name.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The scandal is potential gross misuse of international funds, not Yui. She's nothing more than a name.

It is highly unlikely that a person on her position would get her face on the Yomiuri Shimbun. Nerv wouldn't allow it, the Government wouldn't allow it, and hell, SEELE wouldn't allow it.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:05 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The scandal is potential gross misuse of international funds, not Yui. She's nothing more than a name.

"He may be guilty of killing his own wife!"

"He killed his own wife!"

"Ms. Yui Ikari (27)... ...fell victim to it. ...mistake in control. ...Mistake! Questions of Human Experimentation Man-Made Calamity Bioinformation..."

Doesn't sound like gross misuse of international funds to me. It sounds like the CE made the papers and Gendo got blamed for the fuckup. Either way it seems clear that the Eva project wasn't as big a secret as some seem to assume.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Indeed. They secretly control big stuff. Seele aren't Aum Shinrikyo. They're the illumaniti.

So there you go. Even if the Y-Rod isn't at 'Madame Secretary' levels you can't imagine she wouldn't be recognised by James Carville. ('the economy, stupid', that guy)
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Yui is only mentioned as 'drama spice' to demonize Gendo in the press. Nobody knows shit about any of them otherwise. The underlying cause of the hearing however is likely the projects' lack of success, questionable methods, and exceptional cost.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:37 pm

That interpretation does not seem to be supported by the passages in question. At the very least it seems as though Project E was public knowledge in some capacity, even if the particulars were not. Which makes sense, really, given the vast amounts of money being funneled into it; illuminati or no, that sort of thing is going to raise questions that need to be answered.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Project E's goals and aims were being veiled by the public facade called the Artificial Evolution Laboratory.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:26 pm

The "passages" in question are random people gossiping.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The "passages" in question are random people gossiping.

Newspaper excerpts, actually. And none of them say a thing about misuse of international funds. They do say plenty, however, about Yui and bioethics, which suggests both that she was well-known and that her death was a big deal.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:00 pm

You're both only partly right. The comments about Gendo killing Yui are voiceovers of gossip. The scattered incomplete translations are of the newspaper clippings.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Naming the victim doesn't require that victim to have been in any way well known. It might as well say "some dead science lady, not old".

And come on, any time there's a government hearing the various players might rant and rave to score points in the soundbite wars but what it really boils down to is either "how do I screw the other party" or "how do I get this funding transferred to my new porkbarrel bill instead" or both.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Perhaps Yui's name was kept out of the press but headlines like 'Mistake! Questions of Human Experimentation Man-Made Calamity Bioinformation' make it clear people knew some affront to the laws of God and Man went down that day - a very expensive one too. I mean, 'Artifical Evolution' is their cover story!

(and the text does say 'Yui Ikari' btw)

And also btw, there's also a scene in the manga where it's clear that Shinji personally knew people gossipy housewives who whispered about his dad killing his mom (that I shall linky when I find it).

So even if it wasn't just too huge to sweep under the rug or subtly reframe or obscure and even if Yui Ikari isn' the poster child of 'what hath science wrought'... how would she have been kept a secret from people working inside the facility? It seems to me that far too many very high level operators and researchers would know Yui firsthand for Gendou to even consider 'cleaning house.'

But consider another angle - isn't parading Rei around blatantly exposing that he has a cloning program in the first place? The way Ritsuko reveals it to Misato, CO and director of operations, it's like she doesn't even know what dummy plugs are. He'd be giving it away to anyone who sees Rei and knows what Yui looks like. Surely that is the kind of intel that's keeping secret agent Ryoji Kaji in fast cars and vodka martinis?
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:52 pm

She didn't know what dummy plugs were.

Almost nobody remembers what Yui looked like because Gendo's purged her photos from reality somehow.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 am

Diegetically speaking, if Rei didn't get her blue hair and extremely pale appearance from Lilith DNA, then where did those unusual physical traits come from? I mean, her hair is more unusual to Misato's sometimes-indigo-highlited-sometimes-dark-violet-hilighted-mainly-black hair (which is usually a result of artists trying to give depth and shape to black hair), and Ritsuko's blond hair is diegetically shown as being dyed. Regardless of how someone feels about Misato's hair (which I remember being a thread-locking point of contention a while back), bright, crazy bold primary colors aren't the norm for the natural hair colors Evangelion universe (unless it's the more natural red hair), so Rei's Robin Egg Blue hair doesn't even fit with Eva's design aesthetic in a non-diegetic way. Rei is supposed to stick out from the rest of the characters, mostly because of her hair. The viewer is supposed to look at Rei and conclude that her physical origins are vastly different from that of a normal human being, and they would be right in assuming that. But all of the visual ways in which Eva suggests Rei's unusual beginnings (the blue hair, the pale skin) seem to be genetic in some way within the context of the rest of the series' aesthetic. So where did these genetic traits come from? Neither Yui nor Gendo have those particular traits, and the only other source of genetic traits of ny kind come from Unit 01.

Is unusual hair and pale skin just a thing that happens when a character is also related to angels in a fashion more direct than the rest of the human race? (Kaowru seems to have similar physical traits as Rei.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:11 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Diegetically speaking, if Rei didn't get her blue hair and extremely pale appearance from Lilith DNA, then where did those unusual physical traits come from?

Already addressed here: post/857736/A-question-about-Reis-physical-appearance/#857736
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 am

The pale skin is indeed refering to the Angels, but the blue hair doesn't really come with that. Well, the only angel with hair is Nagisa, and his hair is Gray/White. Blue really seems far fetched. I have to admit though, Ayanami looks good on it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:31 am

If you use a dropper on the highest quality stills, it turns out that Kaworu's hair is a very pale lavender! (This ties nicely into a part-Katsuragi pedigree, if you're the sort of person to go for that.)

I've noticed that when Lilith develops hair, it's pure white, but when Eva-01 does this (last time we see her in EoE), her hair is blue. Hmm.

Another oddity is that while pale skin supposedly indicates Angelic affiliation with Rei and Kaworu, the Evas -- who are actual copies of the Seeds -- are all dark-skinned.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:If you use a dropper on the highest quality stills, it turns out that Kaworu's hair is a very pale lavender! (This ties nicely into a part-Katsuragi pedigree, if you're the sort of person to go for that.)

I've noticed that when Lilith develops hair, it's pure white, but when Eva-01 does this (last time we see her in EoE), her hair is blue. Hmm.

Another oddity is that while pale skin supposedly indicates Angelic affiliation with Rei and Kaworu, the Evas -- who are actual copies of the Seeds -- are all dark-skinned.

Interesting. That could explain the blue hair... And her pale skin would come from Lilith... And general human form, especially her near identical facial features, would be of Ikari's...

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Now, Rei was created to look significantly different from other characters to make her stand out easily and to highlight her odd psyche. However, i don't remember it being mentioned where the particular choices for her looks came from. I only remember one character with similar or matching physical traits as Rei before 1995. So is she more/less based on any character, or is she a pure design?

Thank you for your answer. I was mainly wondering if the choices had some inspiration behind them, or if she was the ''prototype'' one, later influencing countless other copies and variants. But what comes to the story, i perfectly understand her strange appearance. The red eyes give her a good finishing touch on this.

I can't speak to specific credit as to the design of Rei as stated by the production staff, but like much of Eva when one looks at older mecha anime, especially ones from Yoshiyuki Tomino you'll find similarities. 1983's Aura Battler Dunbine for example features Ceila Lapana, a blue haired, red eyed girl with a faint voice.

Ceila resembles Rei physically, but Zeta Gundam (1985)'s Four Murasame, who shares the shorter blue hair with Rei but not the red eyes has a more similar story, being a test subject who has been artificially tampered with.

1983's Round Vernien Vifam, which I believe was created by Tomino but wasn't actually directed or written by him features another short haired blue haired girl in Katue. Eureka from Eureka Seven, which came out in the mid-2000's constantly gets derided as a Rei clone yet her appearance for much of said show is clearly inspired by this character instead.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:28 pm

View Original PostQuiddity wrote:I can't speak to specific credit as to the design of Rei as stated by the production staff, but like much of Eva when one looks at older mecha anime, especially ones from Yoshiyuki Tomino you'll find similarities. 1983's Aura Battler Dunbine for example features Ceila Lapana, a blue haired, red eyed girl with a faint voice.

Ceila resembles Rei physically, but Zeta Gundam (1985)'s Four Murasame, who shares the shorter blue hair with Rei but not the red eyes has a more similar story, being a test subject who has been artificially tampered with.

1983's Round Vernien Vifam, which I believe was created by Tomino but wasn't actually directed or written by him features another short haired blue haired girl in Katue. Eureka from Eureka Seven, which came out in the mid-2000's constantly gets derided as a Rei clone yet her appearance for much of said show is clearly inspired by this character instead.

Well there certainly have been characters with her general traits before Eva, it seems. For me, personally, she reminds me mostly of Oyuki from Urusei Yatsura, a show from the early 80's.

SPOILER: Show

More over, the both have both quiet, cold personalities.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”