Evangelion and Personality Disorders.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
viperzero
Embryo

Re: Evangelion and Personality Disorders.

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:37 am

View Original PostSnow wrote:He had to stay against his will, as i remember it. The others could go because they were not pilots.

Yea and he just did as he was told. But then again he might have just not cared

viperzero
Embryo

Re: Evangelion and Personality Disorders.

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:57 am

I saw this quote in the Paranoid/Schizo interview

Anno: That's the same thing as I [myself] becoming an adult. I'm often asked if Shinji-kun [represents] an old version of myself, but that's not the case. Shinji-kun is my current self (laughing). I act like a fourteen-year-old boy; I'm still childish. No matter how you look at it, in psychological terms, I'm [still] in the Oral Stage. A melancholic oral-dependent type. Well, this is a truth I can't deny; I can't do anything about it. I wanted to move forward from there, but the result was that I ended up regressing back to myself. A dead end.

From wiki on dependent personality
The conceptualization of dependency, within classical psychoanalytic theory, is directly related to Sigmund Freud's oral psychosexual stage of development. Frustration or over-gratification was said to result in an oral fixation and in an oral type of character, characterized by feeling dependent on others for nurturing and by behaviors representative of the oral stage. Later psychoanalytic theories shifted the focus from a drive-based approach of dependency to the recognition of the importance of early relationships and establishing separation from these early caregivers, in which the exchanges between the caregiver and the child become internalized, and the nature of these interactions becomes part of the concepts of the self and of others

It seems like a somewhat explicit reference. Also that last part is of interest to Eva, that’s object relations theory which is explicitly referenced in episode 16. The title Paranoid and Schizoid itself is a reference to the paranoid Schizoid position in early child development.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”