Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:42 am

View Original PostRay wrote: She also says she's 'underwhelmed' by the score. She wonders why they couldn't have used the original scores by Kenji Kawai, because a lot of what made the original GITS great was the memorable score and the use of the Japanese choir and instruments.

That doesn't strike me as a reasonable expectation. :um:

But this Section 9 featurette (released yesterday maybe?) looks to me more like a glimpse of a pretty decent movie. The sound really does have a distinct feel to it.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 am

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:But this Section 9 featurette (released yesterday maybe?) looks to me more like a glimpse of a pretty decent movie. The sound really does have a distinct feel to it.

That does give some hope that the movie will be more like GitS than the preview indicated.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 am

I note that it explicitly says that it is based on the manga ("comic"). Criticism based on comparisons with the animated films or SAC should be considered taking that into account.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Shinji feels oddly embarrassed sharing a bath with Kaworu (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... a post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:But this Section 9 featurette (released yesterday maybe?) looks to me more like a glimpse of a pretty decent movie. The sound really does have a distinct feel to it.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That does give some hope that the movie will be more like GitS than the preview indicated.

Just saw this & was coming here to post it.
Just finishing the 1st season of SAC & I love the team interactions so this really makes me hopeful that the team won't be too neglected in this film.

Glor
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Just listened to the new track for the movie by Tricky. I thought it was very eerie and trance-like (a familiar feeling from the original tracks) but most of the comments were pretty dismissive.

I've been consistently surprised at all the negativity being thrown at everything this movie is doing, and it hasn't even been released yet.

It seems like all the old fans of the 95 movie just wanted a scene for scene, sound for sound live action remake of the movie and are salty that they aren't getting it. To the point the work and anything it does is deemed worthless.

What's especially odd is how infallible the 95 movie is treated. Like, the rose tinting is cranked up to maximum. Let's be honest, the film is fantastic, but its themes (touted as groundbreaking for the genre) were things that sci-fi creators had been delving into and exploring since the 60s. It wasn't anything new or particularly original. What made GitS exceptional was its execution.

I can understand the skepticism, (Casting ScarJo, merging various elements from SAC, the manga and the movie) but I don't get the outrage.

If this turns into another Eragon, then I might be a little more sympathetic. But I have a feeling no matter how well this movie emulates GitS, the hardcore fans won't be swayed because it isn't the 95 movie and is therefore trash. :rolleyes:
Rite of Reclamation - an Evangelion/Halo fusion, check it out, is pretty neat.

silvermoonlight
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 am

View Original PostGlor wrote:Just listened to the new track for the movie by Tricky. I thought it was very eerie and trance-like (a familiar feeling from the original tracks) but most of the comments were pretty dismissive.

I've been consistently surprised at all the negativity being thrown at everything this movie is doing, and it hasn't even been released yet.

It seems like all the old fans of the 95 movie just wanted a scene for scene, sound for sound live action remake of the movie and are salty that they aren't getting it. To the point the work and anything it does is deemed worthless.

As a fan of the original 95 movie I don't want a shot for shot of this movie, I just want Hollywood to pay attention to the source material because this has in the past caused anime and video game movies to fail, things like dragon ball Z, avatar and street fighter ended up being jokes and utter failures. Plus with things like GITS and Akira the source material has massive importance.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Glor
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:01 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:with thing like GITS and Akira the source material has massive importance.

Of course, otherwise what would be the point? We'd end up with messes like DBZ and Avatar, like you said. And I wasn't implying ALL fans of the original movie want a copy-pasta remake, but it does seem to be an overwhelming majority - and they're not willing to accept any kind of changes or deviations from the 95 movie, even if it deepens or enhances the sliver of the world we were shown. It isn't like GitS didn't leave itself open for this.

What shows promise for live action GitS is the amount of attention we have seen to the details, while drawing really unique inspiration of its own from things like Bladerunner. My hope, like most others, is that the plot is not as straight forward as it's been advertised.

Gus Hanson
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 am

I go into a film like this with the same mentality I would say watching one of the Resident Evil live action adaptations, not expecting a great project but at the very least a good homage. Also, if you can believe me, I have never really seen ScarJo's other movie projects besides Home Alone 3 so it would be an experience to say the least in how she performs all grown up.
Gundam Wing is the N-Sync of mecha anime. - NemZ

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Waterway fight released...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90OX7x7KeVE
CGI for the city looks much better, feels much more in the distance.
Tone of the fight & music is spot on.
But I wish they toned down the distortion as she de-cloaked as it was in the 1st trailer.
And the CGI on her foot as it his his chest was really bad.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 am

Opening shootout.
Lmao at the people saying the film would throw out the philosophical/societal concerns & implications, we got someone raising them in this very opening sequence. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPdkKHtqp7U

Glor
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am

Holy shit that was awesome!

silvermoonlight
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Opening shootout.
Lmao at the people saying the film would throw out the philosophical/societal concerns & implications, we got someone raising them in this very opening sequence. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPdkKHtqp7U

That doesn't look bad at all, I was worried that the movie was going to have a corny/cheesy feel but this is really good tone wise and I like that they went right in to the whole hacking thing and how horrific and bad it can be.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Glor
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:15 am

https://youtu.be/IgKGww6sGaI

New clip - damn this movie looks good. Visualizations for the cyber space bits are spot on.

Return to “Film and Video”