Anyone else feel dislike towards EoE nowadays?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Ireul
Ireul

Anyone else feel dislike towards EoE nowadays?

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:12 pm

When I first bought EoE around 2001 or 2002, I fell in love with it. I thought it was the perfect way to cap off the supposed confusion I was feeling about the TV series.

But in recent times, especially with the Rebuilds coming out, I feel distance between me and my liking the EoE as a whole. Like in some weird way, the TV's convoluted ending was a more satisfactory way to go out and I just bought into the bandwagon of Anno needing to make this movie in order to clear up the drama. As for my opinion on Anno himself, if you asked me years ago up until when I first started feeling this way about the film, I would've said the man is a saint and anyone who didn't agree (especially a certain English dub actress/director whose name I won't share because it would probably just stir things up again) was full of it. But I can't deny myself anymore the fact that him and Eva had an unhealthy way of making themselves into reality and still do with the Rebuilds taking their toll at times. In all honesty, I could probably sell my DVD copy of EoE AND Death & Rebirth and not feel bad since I would still have the good old TV series keeping me company. Sorry I rambled on but you get my drift. Anybody else feel similar?
Gundam Wing is the N-Sync of mecha anime. - NemZ

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Anyone else feel dislike towards EoE nowadays?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 pm

I still prefer the original ending, so yeah, pretty much.
"Here I am in the belly of the beast, and I don't even care. I don't even feel like taking a whiz on this. I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Anyone else feel dislike towards EoE nowadays?

Nope. Still a masterpiece in my eyes.
Webmaster, Eva Monkey; Co-founder, administrator emeritus, Eva Geeks; Moderator, r/evangelion

Check out my YouTube channel. All Eva, all the time.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:11 am

After watching it twice on consecutive days, immediately after completing the series, I've never found the inclination to rewatch it since, even though I now have the BD release should the eventuality ever arise.

Part of that is that those first viewings were absolutely brutal, and I don't expect that coming back to it after all the analysis will be anything like as effective; and that with emotional distance, it would be more irritating or annoying than anything else. Another part that has grown with time is that it is tarred by association with the all the DC retcon material (once was enough with those), changes that led to the one "where the fuck did that come from?" bit that felt jarringly out of place with what had gone before during the original viewings.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Minowa Gin wa Yuusha de aru!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:07 am

I love EoE. Sometimes I'll simply throw it on without having watched the series immediately prior. The emotional message of it all really speaks to me, even to this day (though I admit, it's been some time since I've viewed it; my copy is currently stored upstate at my father's place). The original ending is great for this reason as well, but I feel EoE is more visceral and more properly addresses these issues, particularly regarding suicide.

That said, the original series ending eventually grew on me over the years. At first I wasn't sure what to really think of it, but nowadays I really love it. I'm not sure if I prefer it over EoE, but I'm definitely glad I have the joy of both endings rather than simply EoTV. With the original ending alone, the series feels somewhat incomplete, and I'm glad EoE is there to tie up some of those loose ends.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Rei IV
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Part of that is that those first viewings were absolutely brutal, and I don't expect that coming back to it after all the analysis will be anything like as effective; and that with emotional distance, it would be more irritating or annoying than anything else. Another part that has grown with time is that it is tarred by association with the all the DC retcon material (once was enough with those), changes that led to the one "where the fuck did that come from?" bit that felt jarringly out of place with what had gone before during the original viewings.

Yes, I could just imagine that if one saw the entire series without seeing the NPC episodes, which came out in home video in 1998, End of Evangelion would've been absolutely confusing as fuck. I don't hate/dislike the movie but I can totally understand and relate to the visceral revolution some people have towards it. By itself, the series ended on a positive note, Shinji coming to terms with himself, that it was okay for him to be here in this world and the fact the ending itself was rather ambiguous, which can be considered good (EOE, one can argue, pretty much shits on Shin-chan's character and he's back to his pitful, self-loathing self back the way the first 3 episodes, episode 19). Some people saw it as unrealistic and even saccharine, sentimental nonsense but when one looks at where he's at in the end of EOE, who'd could blame anyone for preferring the TV ending.

The shipping angle must've been even more shocking and random (and unbelievable given with episode 15) as hell when Instrumentality took place.
"The Miss Rei Ayanami stares into your soul"

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”