NGE2: First Ancestral Race and Seeds of Life

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:33 pm

View Original PostZenoseiya wrote: I mean, the Nostalgia Critic presented the idea that the Angels were trying to "help" humanity by initiating 3rd Impact to end all loneliness, whereas my impression is that the Angels are suffering from solipsistic madness and only want to end their own personal loneliness.

Do you have a link to this?
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: NGE2: First Ancestral Race and Seeds of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:46 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:I suppose the we can infer a thing or two about the "4 Adams" seen in 2nd Impact flashback in 2.22...That would mean there's two other "Lilith-type" seeds floating around out there somewhere in the Rebuild-verse...

The information in NGE2 pertains only to NGE. It is useless in a continuity where there are four "Adams" and only a single "Angel" slot before Lilith's. Dunno where you're getting the two extra Liliths from, either.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:05 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The information in NGE2 pertains only to NGE. It is useless in a continuity where there are four "Adams" and only a single "Angel" slot before Lilith's. Dunno where you're getting the two extra Liliths from, either.

I see your point about the separate continuity thing...I was just thinking with 7 seeds that can only be one of two types, "3 Lilith's" would fit the symbolic language/motifs of NGE (three Reis, three "mother goddesses" as a pagan/femminized inverted Trinity, etc.) Conversely, it's kind of neat to think of the hypothetical "4 Adam types" as being symbolic of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, from a human perspective in that each of them would be the harbingers of our demise. Is there any info one way or another to confirm how many of each seed type there are or if any of them are ambidextrous?
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:40 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:Is there any info one way or another to confirm how many of each seed type there are

The Seed that Kaworu is talking to in NGE2 hasn't arrived at a planet yet and says that it doesn't yet know what form its descendants will take. This implies that the Seeds start out without any specialization, and make a conscious choice between the Fruit of Life and Fruit of Knowledge routes later on.

if any of them are ambidextrous?

This question feels like a non sequitur. What does a Seed's "handedness" have to do with anything?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:55 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:This question feels like a non sequitur. What does a Seed's "handedness" have to do with anything?

I just meant that if their life bearing properties (FoL or FoK) are nondeterministic from when they came into being/were released into the cosmos, is it theoretically possible that they could simply choose to alter their natures between being an Adam or Lilith type OR that they could exemplify properties of both types in some capacity?

For example, they could create a race of fixed-form beings (like the Lilin) that have Adamic powers such as being giants, the ability to defy gravity, create explosions, etc., but are still mortal/limited and thus necessitate a need to create things.
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:57 pm

"Ambidextrous" just means able to use both hands equally well. (There are less literal uses listed at Dictionary, but I don't think you were going for those; you're probably looking for another word altogether.)

This whole Fruit business isn't very well defined in any form of Eva, so for the purposes of your fanfiction you'll just have to make up rules that work for you. That said:

My impression is that the Angels' psychokinetic powers are largely a product of having S2 organs. Realistically, being able to manipulate physical space on the particulate level would require vast amounts of energy, and that energy has to come from somewhere. However, this does raise annoying questions about how Rei would be able to generate the strongest ATF barrier ever detected up to that point (episode #24), as she has no S2. Eva-01 being able to kick Zeruel's ass when she has no discernible source of power is another problem. Both these cases seem to indicate that there is a way to access huge amounts of energy sans S2; however, given the lack of frequency with which such phenomena occur, this alternative method probably lacks reliability. The S2 organ could, thus, be a way to guarantee continuous access to physics-defying power, and anyone lacking one would only be able to perform such feats on a more limited basis.

One thing you could play around with is the "wavelength" classification system. Red, orange, green, blue, and so forth. As far as I can tell, the colors are an analogy for how much energy a particular configuration of (LCL-based) matter possesses. Red (lowest wavelength) corresponds to the most basic form, as seen in EoE (creation is reversed and red LCL is subsequently everywhere). Blue (highest wavelength mentioned in canon; violet would be one grade higher) is attributed to Adam's Children, and also to Lilith after absorbing Adam. Eva-00 is noted as being green, so maybe the S2 Engine is the thing that pushes an organism into blue territory. Orange is attributed to entities with an uncertain or transitional form, and is perhaps, not coincidentally, the "default" color of LCL. Yellow is never mentioned -- while sepia, which isn't actually a spectral color, is.

TL;DR: Physical forms of different wavelengths give you another canonical variable to play with aside from just the Fruits.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:20 pm

Sorry, wrong choice of word there...As for Unit 01, I always assumed it was a kind of "under extreme duress" type of thing. And with Rei in ep. 24, I thought it was the completeness of her (Lilith's) soul within Rei III coupled with proximity to Lilith's body...

As far as the wavelength goes, could you give me a like where I can find more info/read up on it? This is actually an interesting angle I hadn't considered before...Thanks! (And I promise reviews from me of chapters from Crying Man ARE forthcoming soon!) ^_^
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 am

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:As for Unit 01, I always assumed it was a kind of "under extreme duress" type of thing. And with Rei in ep. 24, I thought it was the completeness of her (Lilith's) soul within Rei III coupled with proximity to Lilith's body...

These are just partial explanations for (A) what causes Eva-01 to reactivate without external power and (B) why Rei is suddenly levitating and projecting an ATF. The actual problem of where the energy for these activities comes from is not being addressed. In NGE, this is normally addressed in some way -- umbilical cable, S2 engine, or boring ol' digestion and metabolism -- so the instances where it isn't creates a sort of vacuum for want of filling.

As far as the wavelength goes, could you give me a like where I can find more info/read up on it?

If you search for "wavelength" and my name, you should find at least some stuff, like the "PWM revisited" thread and some scattered odds and ends. I wish there was something more definitive at the moment, but, alas, I have too much to do and so all these analyses must wait their turn...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:52 pm

I still like my old interpretation that the source of the powers of the Angels is not due to the S2 engine/fruit of life, but the ability to expand their At Fields. The paranormal powers in eva, including telekinesis is originated from the soul itself, and there is no distinction between the limits of the power of the soul of a mere human, Rei or an Angel. This is kinda of supported by several hints in the series, such as the fact that the AT field's of the Eva's in is the soul of the pilots expanded, not of the Evas themselves,
I believe the thing responsible for the ability to expand one's at field comes first and foremost from the CORE, not the S2 organ. The s2 organ only gives infinite energy, the Soul can take energy from regular body functions or electricity as we can see from Unit 01, I then believe that Rei actually has a piece of Lilith's core inside her, and that cores gives her the ability to expand her field very strongly, since it is a piece of the original Lilith's core.

The core thus is not only a receptacle for the soul, but work as an "resonator/amplifier" of the soul. I know the Rebuild is another continuity but the importance of the Core is further straightened there.

That is a lot of fanwank compressed in a single confusing paragraph, but I actually have spent a lot of time working in the mechanics of all this using the canon of the series in the past, I think is a much more elegant theory than the "PWM" one, so if anyone is interested to expand this I can go on...
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

Uriel93
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel93 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:23 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just where the hell IS this Seed that it still hasn't found a habitable planet after 4 +x billion years? [x= approximate travel time of Lilith] It has to be pretty damn far away, right? And it can just engage in insta-telepathy with Kaworu? How exactly are Kaworu and Adam's offspring supposed to -- as bare naked souls, mind -- reach this Moon that some unfathomable number of light years away? What will be propelling them or protecting them? Just... blargh.

Mind, I haven't been into these things for as many years as you and some others have been, but -

I always thought that, in LCL form, every living thing is connected - wouldn't that also possibly imply that ALL LCL is in touch, no matter where it is? If the seed hasn't been planted yet, so to speak, wouldn't it be LCL as well?
A City made of Wood is build in the Forest.
A City made of Stone is build in the Mountains.
A City Made of Dreams is build in Heaven.

- From The Dom'Ruystni Cycle

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:40 pm

What did the FAR look like?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:48 pm

We don't know.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm

What do you think they look like?

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm

What do you think they look like?

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:21 pm

A popular headcanon is that they look like Lilin-sized Evangelions.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

ElKaizerX
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ElKaizerX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:28 am

Double post accident
Last edited by ElKaizerX on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElKaizerX
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ElKaizerX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:These are just partial explanations for (A) what causes Eva-01 to reactivate without external power and (B) why Rei is suddenly levitating and projecting an ATF. The actual problem of where the energy for these activities comes from is not being addressed. In NGE, this is normally addressed in some way -- umbilical cable, S2 engine, or boring ol' digestion and metabolism -- so the instances where it isn't creates a sort of vacuum for want of filling.

I take the interpretation that given Adam's children are beings that shed their humanity that kind of helps explain how a berserk eva is able to move without external power. I think it was during, or just after, Eva-01 goes full berserk and beats the shit out of Zeruel that remarks of her either being The Beast, shedding her humanity, exposing true form or something close to it is mentioned. If a berserk Eva without restraints is considered to have shed their humanity just like how it is mentioned the form Adam's children take when dealing with NERV (the only form the audience sees them as throughout the series) then I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think the power source that both beings are pulling from is not actually entirely s2 engine/organ related. The s2 engine might just be like our own heart but like how adrenaline can allow a normal human great feats of strength under duress perhaps PWM beings tap into a similar power when they're under duress.

However if you bring the Rebuilds into this, Mari and Eva-02's Beast mode activation still running on a battery counter craps on this a bit. Then again that could be explained away as artificially induced like a person taking a speed hit given that Shinji and Eva-01 reactivate sans external power when they naturally tap into that deep animalistic Jungian Shadow Satan rage (the kind that lurks in the depths of our ancestral minds).

Now the question is what exactly is that non s2 engine related power source? This might be a bit of tomfanwankery but bear with me. Given what we see during two post battery depletion berserks, Shinji vs Zeruel and EoE Asuka vs MPEs, the pilots achieve dangerously high synchro rates to the point the line between Eva and pilot is obliterated. Asuka bleeds and her arm splits with the damage done to Eva-02 and Shinji goes all tangy on us. This makes me believe that the non s2 power source is the soul of a pilot laid bare by the shedding of an ATF due to a psychotic breakdown, and naturally amplified by the Eva like their ATF typically. The pilots may not have an s2 engine but they still have a soul. A soul, protected (locked down?) by an ATF, which may actually be a pretty powerful energy source itself. So you got pilot shedding humanity giving the Eva access to tap directly into their soul and be able to move post battery drain. The Beast mannerisms the Eva exhibits during this form is basically the Lilin's version of shedding humanity, their Jungian Shadow, that Adam's Children have been said to have done prior to appearing on screen.

Side note: If what the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil gifted to the Lilin was the FAR's trait of 'morality' than a Lilin's shedding (psychotic break) of that reveals their version of Jungian Shadow, which I think may be how NGE shouts out to one of the most infamous angels, Satan, who is teased around in dialogue a lot but only gets the slightest visual nod in the OP.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:50 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:A popular headcanon is that they look like Lilin-sized Evangelions.

I thought that was just another "Reichu Thing". Not that I don't think it's a fairly natural and inescapable conclusion, mind.

ElKaizerX wrote:I think it was during, or just after, Eva-01 goes full berserk and beats the shit out of Zeruel that remarks of her either being The Beast, shedding her humanity, exposing true form or something close to it is mentioned.

Upon reactivation, Ritsuko says that "she's awakened", reinforced by Kaji commenting later "Eva-01's been awakened and set free".

"The Beast" is the English title of episode 2.
The phrase "Shedding humanity" is never used in NGE with regard to an Eva, just Angels.
"True form" is a comment that Misato makes about the berserk Eva-01 when she emerges intact from Sachiel's explosion.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Why didn't the FAR make more seeds?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Because they weren't necessary to the story.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”