Who is the EVA character you feel most sorry for?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

zlink64
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Who is the EVA character you feel most sorry for?

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Yeah they leave his past a mystery but based off what he says, his reputation and just the way he looks in his past scenes, he came off to me as a very damaged person. Like I imagine the love he felt for Yui must've been like nothing he's ever experienced before and for it to effect him so dramatically probably means his life was very very shitty before hand. The reason I used the word tragic is because when I think/imagine what his life might've been like I get the feeling that it could be a tragedy play like Oedipus rex or something. But yeah I don't expect this opinion to really be the norm so I get what you are saying lol.

By "favorites" I meant that the very first time I saw this show my feelings of sympathy or sadness didn't gravitate towards one specific character. I kinda just felt really sad for everyone. I was sad and confused at the same time so it was hard for me not to feel sad for everyone. That was my experience anyways and it hasn't really changed much since.
hmmm

The Divine Emperor
Embryo
Location: A wild weird clime that lieth, sublime, out of Space, out of Time

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Yeah they leave his past a mystery but based off what he says, his reputation and just the way he looks in his past scenes, he came off to me as a very damaged person. Like I imagine the love he felt for Yui must've been like nothing he's ever experienced before and for it to effect him so dramatically probably means his life was very very shitty before hand. The reason I used the word tragic is because when I think/imagine what his life might've been like I get the feeling that it could be a tragedy play like Oedipus rex or something. But yeah I don't expect this opinion to really be the norm so I get what you are saying lol.

Seconded. Although other characters are more deserving, Gendo is the one that receives the most sympathy from me, for precisely these reasons. The remorse he reveals before his reunion (so to speak) with Yui, the clinging possessiveness he occasionally reveals towards Rei, and the desperation evinced when she finally decides to go her own way, depriving him of his dead wife's eternal company...here is someone who wants to be loved, yet treats others like dirt in his attempt to obtain what he evidently believes is the only possible source of that love. That is why Mr. Ikari receives my pity.
We lie to ourselves every day, we know it, and we can’t do anything about it. We get along with other people by humoring their delusions. When we don’t, they hate us, and we are alone.

...Wendy Smith

Joseki
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:34 pm

I don't really feel sorry for any of the characters from NGE, Shinji and Asuka had their inner realisation at the end, Rei is no longer a doll. Misato, Ritsuko and Gendo had a closure. The journey may have been "harsh" for all of them but seeing the bigger picture I don't feel sorry for any of them.

With Final still not out I feel sorry for Shinji as things stand after Q, he clearly acted well on a moral level or it was at least comprehensible and relatable but he was manipulated since well before day one, but I'm sure I won't feel for him after seeing the ending.
Even when the sun is shining, I can't avoid the lightning.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”