Who's your favorite Eva character?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 4911
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Ovsly Rei. It's right in her name, zeroth place by default.
She's super interesting, awesome & I relate to her on an existencial level.

Honorable mentions for Mari, Shinji, Gendo. Kaworu and Kensuke. And Aoba cause he doesn't get nearly enough love.

And basically anyone whose name isn't Akagi or Asuka, but though I don't like em on an emotional level I see how they're intellectually superbly written socially relevant characters. This show is just good.
And I know an eighteenth charm, and that charm is the greatest of all, and that charm I can tell to no man, for a secret that no one knows but you is the most powerful secret there can ever be.

Snow
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 05, 2017

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Snow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Fuyutsuki. As i see it, he is the least-insane character in the whole series and perhaps the most rational one. Overall, his wise old man-character is very appealing .
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

RadicalRandy
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 30
Joined: Jan 01, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby RadicalRandy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Fuyutsuki. As i see it, he is the least-insane character in the whole series and perhaps the most rational one.


I mean... the guy wanted to go through Instrumentality via Gendo's plan, so I wouldn't consider the destruction of sentient life the most rational decision. He was a bit passive to Gendo's radical ideas to mindfuck Shinji (and a bit regretful, by the sounds of it), but he didn't do anything to stop it. If we're talking least-insane, give it to Pen Pen. Or maybe Kaji, I guess. Heck, give it to Ramiel.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Snow
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 05, 2017

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Snow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:45 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:I mean... the guy wanted to go through Instrumentality via Gendo's plan, so I wouldn't consider the destruction of sentient life the most rational decision. He was a bit passive to Gendo's radical ideas to mindfuck Shinji (and a bit regretful, by the sounds of it), but he didn't do anything to stop it. If we're talking least-insane, give it to Pen Pen. Or maybe Kaji, I guess. Heck, give it to Ramiel.


I would argue the man knew there was no other real alternative available, choose between SEELE and Gendo, what a glorious situation. Since he would have known that there was absolutely nothing that could stop the grand finale, and that both options would end in what it ended, he chose the one that suited him the best, that being the one that would let him ''see'' Yui for one last time. What comes to Kaji, he is very down-on-earth to me too, but him playing 3 sides at the same time and ultimately playing himself to a corner deliberately wouldn't make him more sane than Fuyutsuki. And by the least-insane character in the series, i don't mean that they are sane. I mean that they are a bit less insane. Pen-Pen is alright though.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Reichu
Alien Sex Meddler
Alien Sex Meddler
Age: 34
Posts: 22161
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: 高地園、新槍ノ島
Gender: Female

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Fuyutsuki was a dead man if he didn't join Nerv. I suppose one could argue that getting erased would have been more honorable than playing an active role in bringing about Apocalypse Ver. C... But since the choice presented was between "apocalypse where humans are transfigured into something else" or "apocalypse where humans have a chance to continue existing as humans", and Fuyutsuki likes a world that has people in it, I think it was better for him to stay alive and help out.

Re: Kaji, there is a lot to like about him, but I've respected him a lot less upon realizing that his need to play all three sides is what allowed the slaughter of innocent Nerv personnel -- and, more importantly, the love of his life. (He cut the power in episode 11, which let other agents infiltrate and map the facility. The JSSDF uses this intel when they attack.)
Avatar: Oh Boy! Dr. Sam Beckett, Reimagined as a Cloyingly Adorable Chibi Unicorn (Osamu Tezuka's Unico)
Crying Man (Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 15763
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Gendo. Judge him however you will, he gives no fucks about your opinions. He has a goal and will do anything and everything to achieve it or die trying. In a show with so many conflicted people getting in each others' and their own way all the time to see that kind of ruthless purity of focus makes him the real stand out character in this crowd.

Well, and Rei of course, but she's on a whole other level. Calling her just a character feels like an insult.
"Here I am in the belly of the beast, and I don't even care. I don't even feel like taking a whiz on this. I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Snow
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 05, 2017

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Snow » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Gendo. Judge him however you will, he gives no fucks about your opinions. He has a goal and will do anything and everything to achieve it or die trying. In a show with so many conflicted people getting in each others' and their own way all the time to see that kind of ruthless purity of focus makes him the real stand out character in this crowd.


Ikari is an interesting person, to say the least. Usually it is his apparent lack of ethics that makes him unpopular among the audience, though. And he seems to be extremely selfish, being ready to destroy and take down everything just to be able to be with Yui. But who am i to judge.

NemZ wrote:Well, and Rei of course, but she's on a whole other level. Calling her just a character feels like an insult.


I find Rei/Reis very hard to define. Sometimes i consider her a person, sometimes not.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 15763
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 am

People generally aren't fair to Gendo because they identify with Shinji's perspective. Try looking at it from his perspective some time...

He's fighting a secret war and an alien invasion simultaneously to save the love of his life. If he fails everyone is dead anyway, so what the hell does he have to lose by being anything less than utterly ruthless?

Sending Shinji away and isolating him from the man he'd have to become was an act of mercy, he only brought him back into this mess because circumstances demanded it, and he intentionally tried to drive him away to relative safety when he thought he had a replacement.

He tries to keep Rei at a distance because he knows her sacrifice will be required, but in spite of himself he clearly does care for her.

We have no reason to believe he knew what fate would befall Ritsuko when he sent her in Rei's place to Seele, or that he ever found out what actually happened for that matter.

He knows Fuyutsuki dispises him and has a thing for Yui, but he keeps him on as second in command to save his life because Yui would have wanted it.

Last but not least, in the ending where he wins it's arguably far better for everyone than the ending when he doesn't.
"Here I am in the belly of the beast, and I don't even care. I don't even feel like taking a whiz on this. I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Snow
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 05, 2017

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Snow » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:He tries to keep Rei at a distance because he knows her sacrifice will be required, but in spite of himself he clearly does care for her.


I will have to agree with this, Ikari does care about her, as a ''person''. More importantly he cares about her as a resource as well...

NemZ wrote:He knows Fuyutsuki dispises him and has a thing for Yui, but he keeps him on as second in command to save his life because Yui would have wanted it.


I disagree. Fuyutsuki, in my view, does respect him. He might dislike, even hate his methods, but he generally agrees with the so-called ''moderated damage'' of Ikari's instrumentality. Fuyutsuki after all devotes his time to keep Nerv running and make Seele fail. The relations between Fuyutsuki and Ikari might be one of the most complex in the series.

NemZ wrote:Last but not least, in the ending where he wins it's arguably far better for everyone than the ending when he doesn't.


Of course, assuming that there was no actual way to prevent the third impact. But that seems rather unlikely.
I only wish Gendo's victory would have been a bit more..stylish.
SPOILER: Show
Image
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests