Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:31 am

The Wind Rises might very well be his best film.
It's not the easiest to love. The more outgoing protagonists & colorful fantastic worlds of his other films make those easy to enrapt your imagination but few films hit me on such an emotional & intellectual level as Rises.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:24 am

"Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress." - Walter Benjamin

The wind is rising...
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:41 pm

I a beginning to develop a sort of contempt for Goku in super where it seems like he is a parody of himself. I know Goku was never a Superman style hero but it seems like his cluelessness has risen to new levels in Super and it makes a lot more foolish than he actually is in the original series. I mostly like Funimation!Goku myself but I will admit his original incarnation is a lot more nobler than I thought.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Retro Chocolate
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Retro Chocolate » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:31 pm

View Original PostGAP wrote:I a beginning to develop a sort of contempt for Goku in super where it seems like he is a parody of himself. I know Goku was never a Superman style hero but it seems like his cluelessness has risen to new levels in Super and it makes a lot more foolish than he actually is in the original series. I mostly like Funimation!Goku myself but I will admit his original incarnation is a lot more nobler than I thought.

Really? I thought that super Goku was just the same as always. We've just been getting more of a chance to see Goku in his normal life, rather than just fighting (he tends to be more serious when he fights). Then again, I've never really watched the dub, so I don't know how much they changed his character.
"That's not it at all. Trying to go on living is different than trying to escape fear. Those who acted in order to live until the end, without losing themselves to fear and what was happening around them, are the ones who survived properly. We don't know what "God" is thinking, but both fortune and misfortune are thrust upon people. Even so, people exist within a domain that is theirs in which to act."
-Luca, Berserk

"Surely, a true Buster Machine pilot, the real Nono-Riri, would have a Buster Machine in the heart!!" BUSTER BEAM SLASH!!!
-Nono, Diebuster

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:57 pm

View Original PostRetro Chocolate wrote:Really? I thought that super Goku was just the same as always. We've just been getting more of a chance to see Goku in his normal life, rather than just fighting (he tends to be more serious when he fights). Then again, I've never really watched the dub, so I don't know how much they changed his character.

I don't know Goku just seems to be a lot more reckless and "sillier" to me, he orders a hit on himself just so that he could a see said hitman's full power. Goku had always been silly but he seems to be a parody of himself in Super.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:42 am

Super seems to be missing an opportunity to comment on Goku's character right now.

If Vegeta talking to the Universe 8 Saiyan was him showing how far from the villian he's become, then this here should be the moment where we finally see the "gray" of Goku's character come into the fore.

Here he is, with the raison d'etre of his character (fight stronger people to become stronger) being put against the welfare of the Universe. His will to fight is the reason Zen-oh is going to destroy the Universes that lose in the Tournament of power.

... and the tone the series is taking for all of this is "Well, that's Goku, things will work out somehow".

I mean, things haven't concluded yet, they could be aiming at a tonal shift soon enough... I just doubt they will. Not even the resigned fatalism of Bokurano's take of us vs them will enter into this I bet.

It's the closest Super has come to feeling as if it has actual stakes, but the writers just won't commit.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Anime and Manga”