[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: [Film] Prometheus + Sequels

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:07 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:In other news, Neill Blomkamp's horrible sounding Alien:Retcon where a hot 20 year old Newt - to be cast with "a Jennifer Lawrence type" played by Jennifer Lawrence - takes over the franchise & relegates Sigourney Weaver's Ripley to a very minor supporting role is still dead. From what I've been told the movie had all the usual Blomkamp faults which include but weren't limited to: tonal whiplash, shallow characters, bastardizations of important contemporary political issues but warped through a 12-year-olds mindset where the only answer to all social misunderstandings is GUNS, Ripley-In-Name-Only, Michael Biehn mansplaining things to Ripley & that being treated as a good thing, sexualization of Newt even though she still apparently is supposed to have the mind of a child but doesn't act like it, a lot of leftover concepts from his cancelled HALO movie adaptation & an all around subpar story. But it brings back two characters who were killed off 25 years so angry men who never grew up & are now affiliated with hate groups really want it.

Oh thank the gods, there's someone else who realizes Blomkamp isn't the cat's meow. I have not been impressed with a single thing he's done, and yet everyone talks about him like he's hot shit. It's maddening.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

I've only seen District 9 and the one where Matt Damon becomes Cyborg Jesus. I liked Cyborg Jesus until the movie forced a completely ridiculous ending on me to service the Christ Metaphor.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 am

From what I've heard Blomkamp's movie should stay buried, although people who don't like Covenant at the moment seem to view it as an acceptable alternative for some (perhaps they don't actually know what kind of story Blomkamp actually wanted to tell though).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:25 am

I think they should make a movie where The Company actually succeeds in creating a weaponized controllable Alien... that's so smart it pretends to be controllable until it can escape, in a sick parody of Jurassic Word.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:58 pm

I've only ever seen Blomkamp's District 9. It had faults, sure, but I thought it was impressive for the genre of film. The trailers for his other films all looked kinda terrible, though, so I avoided them. It's one thing to have shakey-cam for a documentary-style film, complete with talking heads and the like, but it's another thing all together when it becomes a substitute for well-choreographed action scenes.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 am

Peter Jackson is the unsung hero of DISTRICT 9. He was a very hands-on producer throughout pre-production for that film & was the one instrumental in steering the movie towards having a sharp satirical tone & a protagonist who was more of a loser everybody instead of a hardcore badass as once intended. Of Blomkmap's three films to date District 9 is the one he has the least directorial control over.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 am

That's a crying shame, really.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 am

^still optimistic, but slightly worried. I hope Covenant keeps it closer to the spirit of the original and less to Aliens. I want it to be more "hiding and trying not to get killed" as opposed to "going in guns blazing/fighting the alien with a mech suit".

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:18 pm

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm

If it's similar to Alien or Aliens it will be a waste of time. Gotta give it a chance, though; it might do something new!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If it's similar to Alien or Aliens it will be a waste of time. Gotta give it a chance, though; it might do something new!

It would be nice if it's a take on the comic books as you get aliens that infect the alien creatures on planets but then infect human's resulting in very different looks and abilities.

SPOILER: Show
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:43 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If it's similar to Alien or Aliens it will be a waste of time. Gotta give it a chance, though; it might do something new!

Some have speculated that most of the shock and horror shown in the trailers will be a smokescreen for the film actually having the supposed audacity to build upon the lore of the last film by giving us more information on the Engineers (such as the big field of corpses around a ruined city shown very briefly in the trailer) which will lead into the events of Alien but right now the fandom seem to be split between people who want the film to do its own thing and people who just want the first film rehashed.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:36 am

These things have gotten rather needlessly complicated compared to the original source. Not that I mind an existentially intriguing narrative to go along with my H.R. Geiger-esque designs, but if it's handled anything like it was in Prometheus it'll all seem a little superfluous.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Film's prologue has been released showing what happened with Shaw & David - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Pretty Positive Review... http://www.cbr.com/alien-covenant-review/
Fassbender's 2 androids seems to be the Focus, more then Waterson (thnkfully)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 06, 2017 11:28 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Pretty Positive Review... http://www.cbr.com/alien-covenant-review/
Fassbender's 2 androids seems to be the Focus, more then Waterson (thnkfully)

"Positive" in the sense of "not entirely negative", I guess.

Personally, I'm getting tired of Michael Fassbender. I actually liked him when he was part of an ensemble cast in the X-Men movies, but making him the focus of the show in a movie that's supposed to be about human beings facing the horrific unknown is both jarring and tedious. I want an Alien movie, y'know? Something that breaks new ground like Alien and Aliens did, but still feels like a movie about the horror of the xenomorph. And by the sound of it A Tale of Two Fassbenders is not that film.

50% Alien, 40% Prometheus, 10% absolute bonkers? Pass.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 06, 2017 11:33 pm

I'd watch Michael Fassbender drink tea and read the newspaper for two hours.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 06, 2017 11:45 pm

The only notably negative parts In the review seemed to be claims that the cast wasn't fleshed out.
And from the footage we have got they at least seem to be more lively & likable then the ones in Prometheus.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'd watch Michael Fassbender drink tea and read the newspaper for two hours.

:glomp:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun May 07, 2017 1:12 pm

I don't have anything against Fassbender, but fifty percent Prometheus is not what I want to watch.

Return to “Film and Video”