Fascinating Interview on GAINAX

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Fascinating Interview on GAINAX

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:02 pm

A fascinating interview with Yoshiuki Sadamoto & Hiroyuki Yamaga about the status of GAINAX right now.
It doesn't sound good but they're trying stuff.
A lot of projects are mentioned including their movie project Uru in Blue, the two season anime about diving they want to do, their non-involvement with FLCL 2 - Sadamato might help design a character or two but that's it - & Rebuild & a definite confirmation that Yamaga is currently working on a script for GUNBUSTER 3 (Tribuster?).
Sadamato also talks about the extra chapter of the manga featuring Mari & how it sounds like her role in the final Rebuild film is going to be very minuscule (which I expect because while everyone places such importance on her being a new Eva pilot created for the films she's still just a secondary character).

Either way, GAINAX is keeping busy but it doesn't sound like their in a great spot. If Yamaga can write a good script for Gunbuster 3 maybe he can coerce Khara or Trigger to handle the cost of creating it. who knows.

Great read.

https://wavemotioncannon.com/2017/02/21/the-current-status-of-gainax-interview-hiroyuki-yamaga-yoshiyuki-sadamoto-september-2016/

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Fascinating Interview on GAINAX

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Sounds to me like this is their last gasp to make something before they finally dissolve.

So… to return on Top 3, why did you decide to make it?

Yamaga: Hum… I don’t know how to answer…

Yamaga (Real Answer): Um, well, people liked Gunbuster and Diebuster right? Those did well. And since we need money for new projects, this sounds like our best bet.

This sounds to me like they're in a similar precarious financial position to just before Evangelion began pre-production. The biggest problem that they have this time around it they don't seem to have a young hotshot director under their belt to execute something truly revolutionary and profitable.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:55 pm

So Gunbuster 3 is supposed to tie 1 and 2 together? I thought that was the whole point of Diebuster's ending? :???:

I am glad Sadamoto clarified that the Mari bonus chapter was just an extra fanservice thing for the manga, at least!
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Sadamato also talks about the extra chapter of the manga featuring Mari & how it sounds like her role in the final Rebuild film is going to be very minuscule (which I expect because while everyone places such importance on her being a new Eva pilot created for the films she's still just a secondary character). 

CALLED IT!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:CALLED IT!

Called what, exactly? That Mari is a side character and won't have much bearing on Final, because in reality NTE is Shinji's story? This is nothing multiple people haven't figured out already.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Sometimes when I urinate, I think of Mari because she reminds me of how much potential was pissed away with her character over the course of this series.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Ray and Guy Nacks: If you don't have anything of substance to contribute with regard to the topic, then best say nothing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Called what, exactly? That Mari is a side character and won't have much bearing on Final, because in reality NTE is Shinji's story? This is nothing multiple people haven't figured out already.

With Mari, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If she gets screen time people call her a mary sue and complain that she's taking time from other established characters, and if she doesn't, people claim she's a waste of space who doesn't deserve to exist.

Does Sadamoto actually work for Khara, or do they just hire him to do projects?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:36 pm

I would guess (could be wrong) that Sadamoto is very much a free agent who can go & do whatever he pleases. He also often designs characters for Mamoru Hosoda's work doesn't he?

As for Mari, I've expected she will be strictly a secondary character since her premiere in 2.0 back in.... 2009.
Ultimately, for the story that's been told in 3 films to date, for Final to work the film is primarily going to have to circle around the following relationships: Shinji + Misato & Shinji + Rei/Rei Q with Shinji + Gendo & Shinji + Asuka as possible side elements. Everything after that is pretty ancillary & not necessary for a strong story.

Anywho, things are not looking good for GAINAX. Gunbuster 3 does sound like their "Hail Mary Pass" attempt at salvation. It's certainly a project that should have an easier chance raising money & there's nothing wrong with a play like that in business, I mean Studio Khara would not be a thing today if it wasn't launched with Rebuild. Though where Gainax is now I figure the project would have to be a joint collaboration with another studio.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:14 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:With Mari, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If she gets screen time people call her a mary sue and complain that she's taking time from other established characters, and if she doesn't, people claim she's a waste of space who doesn't deserve to exist.

Does Sadamoto actually work for Khara, or do they just hire him to do projects?

Well this just show us than she is totally unnecesary in the story. Sadamoto show more respect for the character than Anno.
At least this time they admit than she is gonna get almost not screentime, what is good to know.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 am

Mari is the Jet Alone of Evangelion characters: fun and goofy, but utterly pointless and expendable.

The best use she serves is for thread derailment over how frivolous, underwhelming, and shallow her existence is compared with most any other main or supporting character in the franchise.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:49 am

I still think Mari is foundational to the building-blocks of Wille. She and Kaji were working towards that ultimate goal since before 2.22. But that's neither here nor there within terms of the future of Gainax. If Mari were the foundational cornerstone of Rebuilding Gainax, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. We would just be celebrating Gainax's continued success.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:39 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: If Mari were the foundational cornerstone of Rebuilding Gainax, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. We would just be celebrating Gainax's continued success.

The metaphor here is ironic in the sense that Anno had previously said, according to the Wiki, that Mari's purpose was to "destroy Eva." And we all know that Eva saved Gainax.

And we're not entirely sure at all about her level of importance in establishing WILLE. That's still just an inference. We still have no clear motivation for her to do such a thing other than something or other about her not trusting adults, which is a cliche characterization if I ever saw one for a teenager (if indeed she was one in 2.22 and not much older than she appeared due to the curse of Eva).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 pm

NGE was already conceived to destroy other things. It could be argued that its deconstruction of genre norms in the context of Japan's mid-90's cultural and economic uncertainty is what made it successful in the first place. Unfortunately, that's the definition of "Lightning in a Bottle," and Gainax can only do so much to capitalize off of whatever cultural situations they may or may not be anticipating.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:29 pm

I think people take this "Mari is meant to destroy Eva" too literally. She's a curveball, an X variable. She's meant to shake up the formula, not to literally "destroy" the franchise. It's an experiment of "let's see what happens and how things change when we throw this character in the mix".
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:40 pm

You know, guys, we have an entire subforum where we can talk about Mari, and not as many places to talk about the not-Mari things mentioned in the interview...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:05 am

It all returns to Mari. The thread comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

I'm actually looking forward to Uru in Blue. I've seen concept art work for that project in a book I bought of Sadamoto's artwork in it, and saw some really bad-ass looking scene concepts and some interesting looking character designs in there. I spent the next couple days looking up the anime on the internet only to find out that the production was never really green-lit. If Gainax can successfully realize the art for Uru in Blue that I saw in the art book into some awesome animation and make the characters behave as interestingly as they look, then I think it could be the anime to really get Gainax out of their current situation, even more so than what a Gunbuster 3 could do for them.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”