Asuka's plugsuit

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Asuka's plugsuit

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Bit late to the party here, but given Wille's resources I don't think it's reasonable to assume that plugsuit had been around for any length of time. It strikes me that Operation U.S. might have gotten a bit hairy prior to launch -- they presumably needed a facility on land to pull it off, and that means dealing with Nerv -- so it's possible the suit and Unit 02 got thrashed during the prelude to the op and Wille didn't have time to make repairs before launch. Once they got some breathing room after the op they issued Asuka a new plugsuit, as you'd pretty much expect.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:30 pm

I got the impression that Gendo wanted Wille to take Eva-01 back from orbit, he needed him to pilot Eva-13 and didn't have the resources to launch into space to retrieve the tesseract. Kaworu himself was expecting him to be retrieved. Rocket science requieres menpower, several thousands of people, Gendo doesn't seem to have it in Q, Wille on the other hand may not be really high tech but has a lot of people and flying ships.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Neo-Nerv seems to have plenty of power (they're mass-producing Evas!), it's just automated. But you have to remember that, prior to the end of 3.0, Gendo has Seele breathing down his neck. Even if the Monolith Men themselves aren't saying anything, Gendo and Fuyutsuki believe that Kaworu is acting on Seele's behalf, hence calling him "Seele's boy". Getting rid of both Seele and Kaworu, of course, frees them to act without further hindrance. In the next film, Gendo will be able to act much more directly.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Neo-Nerv seems to have plenty of power (they're mass-producing Evas!), it's just automated. But you have to remember that, prior to the end of 3.0, Gendo has Seele breathing down his neck. Even if the Monolith Men themselves aren't saying anything, Gendo and Fuyutsuki believe that Kaworu is acting on Seele's behalf, hence calling him "Seele's boy". Getting rid of both Seele and Kaworu, of course, frees them to act without further hindrance. In the next film, Gendo will be able to act much more directly.

An automatic industry is a thing, a space mission is another. Gendo is quite powerful for sure, he has Rei Q and Eva Mark 9 but he's stuck at Nerv and if he send Mark 9 to space he's unprotected in case of attack.
Anyway the fact that he wanted to get rid of Kaworu by having him pilot Eva-13 with Shinji suggest to me that he also wanted Wille to recover Shinji from orbit.

Also the possibility of Asuka's plugsuit being damaged right before the mission would also imply that Asuka too had seriuos injuries at her right arm, torso and left leg. She would have needed serious medical attention and a lot of time to recover, so there would have been no need to use the an old plugsuit after weeks.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:27 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Also the possibility of Asuka's plugsuit being damaged right before the mission would also imply that Asuka too had seriuos injuries at her right arm, torso and left leg. She would have needed serious medical attention and a lot of time to recover, so there would have been no need to use the an old plugsuit after weeks.

That assumes they were serious injuries, though. If they were relatively minor -- and those suits are thin enough that it probably wouldn't take much! -- Asuka might have just said "fuck it" and taped up the suit and carried on with the mission.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:34 pm

It's also curious that Mari is still using the old Unit 05 plugsuit during Operation US. Did they not issue her a new one when she was assigned to Unit 08? Surely it's not the same one she was using at the end of 2.0.

Joseki wrote:I got the impression that Gendo wanted Wille to take Eva-01 back from orbit, he needed him to pilot Eva-13 and didn't have the resources to launch into space to retrieve the tesseract.

The Vessel of the Adams could just fly up there and get it if Nerv/Seele wanted it back. We did see Mark.06 fly through open space under its own power, after all. Letting Wille recover Unit 01 keeps it out of Seele's hands while putting Shinji back within reach. Seele considers all the other Evas disposable and would probably destroy Unit 01 if it was in their power to do so.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Checking the designs: Asuka's patched-up plugsuit is definitely a different build from the one in 2.0 (cf. altered collar area, extra round thingy on left ribs, addition of black crotch accents, etc.), whereas Mari's plugsuit design has undergone no change between the end of 2.0 and beginning of 3.0. I assume that Asuka was simply upgraded to her version of the equipment Mari is using, and they continued to use this plugsuit type for the required years until the Wille update was ready.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:It's also curious that Mari is still using the old Unit 05 plugsuit during Operation US. Did they not issue her a new one when she was assigned to Unit 08? Surely it's not the same one she was using at the end of 2.0.

The Vessel of the Adams could just fly up there and get it if Nerv/Seele wanted it back. We did see Mark.06 fly through open space under its own power, after all. Letting Wille recover Unit 01 keeps it out of Seele's hands while putting Shinji back within reach. Seele considers all the other Evas disposable and would probably destroy Unit 01 if it was in their power to do so.

I'm pretty sure Mari is using the same type of plugsuit as in 2.0 but she has the number 08 on it instead of 05, or at least she does in the official artwork.

Regarding Gendo's plan you may be right, but if I I understand correctly we agree on him wanting Wille to recover Eva-01 so it doesn't change much.

Reichu wrote:Checking the designs: Asuka's patched-up plugsuit is definitely a different build from the one in 2.0 (cf. altered collar area, extra round thingy on left ribs, addition of black crotch accents, etc.), whereas Mari's plugsuit design has undergone no change between the end of 2.0 and beginning of 3.0. I assume that Asuka was simply upgraded to her version of the equipment Mari is using, and they continued to use this plugsuit type for the required years until the Wille update was ready.

Yes you are right she have a different plugsuit compared to 2.0, I didn't any difference other then a switch at first but as you pointed out there are and it seems comparable to the plugsuit Mari used at the end of the movie, both have the black couch and a similar collar area.
So I must say that I was wrong on this, but I still believe that the patches are there for a reason other than keeping the plug together. Symbolism is vastly used in Q and it is used with Misato's and Rei's clothes so I think it works for Asuka too.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:36 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I'm pretty sure Mari is using the same type of plugsuit as in 2.0 but she has the number 08 on it instead of 05, or at least she does in the official artwork.

Look again. 3.0 simply reuses the artwork for Mari's initial pink suit, unchanged from 2.0. The 05 is still there. More importantly, it's visible in the film itself, e.g. the first time Mari appears onscreen during Operation US.

Why is the 05 still there, though? I suppose a number of these suits could have been synthesized while Mari was still at Bethany Base, and, assuming plugsuits don't have a highly limited shelf life (which is the case with some synthetic materials), Wille could simply be going through the preexisting supply. The 05 would be left alone because is it really important enough to modify? "Ain't nobody got time for that."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:15 am

The more I think about it the less sense it makes to me.
Wille can send two Eva in space simultaneously, they have an huge fleet of flying ships and the Wunder is just huge and powerful. They also have the capabilities to repair damages in a short amount of time, so not being able to produce a replacementfor a plugsuit for so long seems odd, especially considering it can be rapaired with duct tape and how both have Mari and Asuka have a different plugsuit a few days later.
I also found curious how Gendo and Wille have the same plugsuit style.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:02 am

The ribbed plugsuits Mari, Kaworu and Shinji wear were the next gen models introduced in 2.0 before Wille and Nerv split.

Reichu wrote:Why is the 05 still there, though? I suppose a number of these suits could have been synthesized while Mari was still at Bethany Base, and, assuming plugsuits don't have a highly limited shelf life (which is the case with some synthetic materials), Wille could simply be going through the preexisting supply. The 05 would be left alone because is it really important enough to modify? "Ain't nobody got time for that."

This explanation sounds good to me. The plugsuits didn't seem to have a long shelf life when used in combat so producing multiples makes perfect sense. Why make a new one when the old one is still perfectly good and already custom fit to Mari? Asuka's patched up plugsuit might be the last of a "gen 2" Unit 02 plugsuit that was rolled out right after N31.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I had this little headcanon that NERV had made space helmets for the plugsuit in case they had to fight an Angel in space (that wouldn't be the most crazy prepared thing they made, Tokyo-3 itself was a giant monument to "Crazy Prepared"), and that they were sitting on a shelf at a WILLE warehouse for decades, so when Operation US started, they simply took those helmets and the old plugsuits that were compatible with them, hence why Mari had her EVA-05 pink plugsuit and Asuka her old EVA-02 model (more damaged because she's a frontline fighter in opposite to Mari's long range support)

But the idea that they simply had that many spare plugsuits and never changed the numbers because who cares, and the new plugsuits were made to go with the WILLE-remodeled Evas, to be quite a good theory, and certainly more plausible than my idea. :toothy:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:48 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:
The new plugsuits are less bulky than the classic models. The shoulders and neck aren't flared, the backpack unit is smaller and more streamlined, and they no longer have the raised band around the wrists. They look more like skinsuits or wetsuits now.

I saw that as WILLE having more ressources to spare after acquiring EVA 01's S2 engine, and a general feel of "science marching on", with the 360 degree customizable interfaces, longer-lasting batteries, new Anti-Angel weapons etc. hence the thinner suits.

Speaking of asymetry, Asuka's suit does have this blue triangle around the colarbones (signifying allegiance to WILLE like the techies' blue ribbons), whereas Mari does not. Mari's generally unchanged aprt from new glasses (and she did break the old ones) and maybe longer hair.

Mari's suit being intact doesn't mean she never got injured - the suits rarely ever get physically shredded, Asuka's might have gotten torn up during some particularly nasty battle, or it may have been modified to accomodate for her angel contamination. - It does seem to have been both upgraded & mended over the years.

Asuka might just have been attached to it in a "battle scars" kind of way. You could even picture a scenario where Asuka tended to mend her suit whreas Mari would just discard & replace them though there wasn't the technology to design a new model until they got the Wunder online.

In any case we see WILLE as being initially low on ressources & manpower, but then when Asuka & Mari return everything's shiny new and upgraded.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:03 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:An automatic industry is a thing, a space mission is another. Gendo is quite powerful for sure, he has Rei Q and Eva Mark 9 but he's stuck at Nerv and if he send Mark 9 to space he's unprotected in case of attack.

Doesn't Nerv have control of the Mark.04 Units? I always assumed they were using those to directly attack Wille and hinder their missions, including the space mission. (That, and they carry the "Mark" title, which seems exclusive to Nerv's repurposing of Seele's materials.) ReiQ and the Mark.09 were simply used for retrieval missions, such as collecting and protecting Impact Triggers (specifically Shinji).

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:19 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:In any case we see WILLE as being initially low on ressources & manpower, but then when Asuka & Mari return everything's shiny new and upgraded.

That's all relative, seeing the absolutely insane naval fleet accompanying the Wunder (seriously, there must be all of the US and Russian fleets combined in there!) and the hugeass fleet of supply chopper resupplying said mega-fleet. That doesn't scream "lack of resources" to me.
Sure, they might be on a shortage of crewmen to operate the Wunder itself, seeing its monstrous size and the fact it's a completely unique kind of ship, but I highly doubt it also extends to the rest of WILLE.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Doesn't Nerv have control of the Mark.04 Units? I always assumed they were using those to directly attack Wille and hinder their missions, including the space mission. (That, and they carry the "Mark" title, which seems exclusive to Nerv's repurposing of Seele's materials.) ReiQ and the Mark.09 were simply used for retrieval missions, such as collecting and protecting Impact Triggers (specifically Shinji).

In any case, neo-NERV's logo is on the tesseract, meaning that they are the ones who put it up there, and since one of the Mark.04 was hidden on the box, that strongly implies that all of the Mark.04 were under neo-NERV and SEELE's control.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”