Lance of Longinus in My Little Pony?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Lance of Longinus in My Little Pony?

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:52 pm

So, is this a reference?

I better get some consensus before adding it to the wiki.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:55 pm

WTF what the Hell is this show doing CURSE MY NETFLIX SCHEDULE!!!!

I’d need to see it in context. Maybe I’ll scrounge around the internet for the premiere. So far, though, based on design alone, I’d venture a cautious “yes.”

EDIT: The most absolutely terrific form to find out is wait and see if the internet is plastered with Twilight piercing the belly of some other crucified pony with that stick. Because Bronies are never wrong about anything. [/sarcasm]

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Well, what self-respecting writer who grew up in the 90s WOULDN'T have a reference to the greatest anime of that era? :lol:

They've referenced the Big Lebowski in a KID'S show of all this, why not Evangelion?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Just finished the season premiere. The stick is used to strip the ponies of their cutie mark and, by extension, their individuality.

Should we add it to the wiki?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:59 am

Even this show can't resist the power of Evangelion! :lol:

Yes, add it to the wiki. There's no doubt that it's an NGE reference.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:13 am

Are they skewering ponies with this thing? Does it act as a control mechanism for the more powerful and out-of-control ponies?
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

ShinigamiKing14489
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinigamiKing14489 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:27 pm

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:Are they skewering ponies with this thing? Does it act as a control mechanism for the more powerful and out-of-control ponies?

Technically yes. When used on Twilight, it strips her of almost all her magic and makes all of the other ponies extremely weak and slow. Especially Rainbow Dash.
Mailmare calling!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:06 am

For those who don't watch the show, a brief explanation:

The show is set in a magical near-eutopia where ponies are given prophetic names at birth and at some point in their life earn a cutie mark (magical tramp-stamps, basically) that aligns with their discovery of their own special talents and place in the larger world. A world where the strongest power in the land is literally a manifestation of social harmony in weaponized form wielded by a group of friends who all just happened to gain their cutie marks at the same instant and met literally the day of a legendary evil's return to the world. These marks have incredible influence, to the point where changing them rewrites the pony's memories and abilities and setting them back to rights led to an apotheosis of the protagonist to the level of a demigod.

Now obviously this is all because it's really to sell toys, but from an in-universe perspective one can read all this uncharitably as predestination and communist social engineering by their divine sun-goddess princess. To contrast this the show recently ran a plotline involving a pony cult-like commune that used the item in question to remove the cutie marks of petitioners (willingly or not), replacing them with an = sign instead and leveling them all down a lowest common denominator. It's not quite instrumentality, but it's definitely portrayed as a spiritual weapon that can overcome the strongest of defenses and removes the essential individuality from those it acts upon to bring them into the undifferentiated herd.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:54 pm

^ Is that show really for kids?

Sounds like the kind of night-Mare fuel that will ensure that when the kids are grown-up they will remember that as "That scary-ass plotline where ponies and viewers alike got mindraped".

(I vaguely remember a G.I.Joe cartoon that gave me nightmares for weeks where Shipwreck had something to do with melting people...)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Heh. Well of course you kinda have to read between the lines and do some fridge logic maneuvers to sort all that out, but it's definitely in there under the pastels, musical numbers and innocent silliness. And of course I was trying to give it the right 'spin' to sell it to an eva audience. :lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:41 pm

That episode is commonly interpreted as an attack on SJW culture. After all, it happened in the wake of a certain event in which people of a certain ideological nature all decided to mark themselves with = signs...

I'm just here for the fan art.

Blockio#938367 wrote:it will be in your best interest to shut up.

wdfarmer
Embryo

Re: Lance of Longinus in My Little Pony?

•      
  •      

Postby wdfarmer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:34 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...the show recently ran a plotline involving a pony cult-like commune that used the item in question to remove the cutie marks of petitioners (willingly or not), replacing them with an = sign instead and leveling them all down a lowest common denominator. It's not quite instrumentality, but it's definitely portrayed as a spiritual weapon that can overcome the strongest of defenses and removes the essential individuality from those it acts upon to bring them into the undifferentiated herd.

The said plotline takes place in the first two episodes of Season 5 of the TV series "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic", titled "The Cutie Map - Part 1" and "The Cutie Map - Part 2". Throughout most of the plotline's story, the lance is believed to be magical. However, late in the story we learn that the staff has no magical power of its own; it was wielded as a prop by the leader of the commune, named Starlight Glimmer, who had secretly retained her magical powers, and had painted over her cutie mark with the commune's equal sign, rather than replace it. She created this lie so that she could pretend to embrace the commune's ethics without giving up her superiority. (Yes, I am a Brony; I know these things.) The commune's culture is vividly described by the commune in a song and dance that the series' musical director patterned after propaganda songs of World War II Germany. You can view the performance at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKRdoCVqTqs.

It's interesting that the six heroic ponies of the series, who are collectively called the "Mane 6" by the series creators and fans [pony puns abound], discover the commune only because they have been sent there by a magical map to spread the gospel of Friendship, which embraces diversity and acceptance. When they discover how different the commune's culture is from their own, they realize that their mission is to replace the commune's culture with their own Friendship culture. [No Prime Directive here, folks. It's just like the destruction of native American cultures by white settlers, who believed their own culture was civilized and superior.] They discover the leader's lie, reveal it to the commune, and restore to everyone their original cutie marks, which had been kept in a vault that a commune member smashes open with the inert staff, in a scene remarkably like the Apple advertisement that showed a hero throwing a sledgehammer into a glass screen displaying the image of 1984's Big Brother. The commune leader, having lost control, flees into hiding; she will later return to exact her vengeance.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”