[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: [Film] Prometheus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:First poster.

Yassss. Saw the poster and release date on Facebook an hour ago. As a huge Aliens fan, who hates Prometheus with a fiery passion, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:41 pm

What makes you so optimistic?

SPOILER: Show
Because' there;s a xenomorph? A xenomorph technically appeared in Prometheus so it's hardly a guarantee
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:What makes you so optimistic?

Excited to see what it's going to be like, cautiously optimistic about the actual quality.

Also, to be fair, the Xenomorph only factored into all of 20 seconds of that movie, after the plot had resolved itself. Wasn't it after the credits?

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:31 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote: Wasn't it after the credits?

Irrelevant enough not to be spoilered? Okidokee. But the article claims:

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise

Since wikipedia says Noomi Rapace is reprising her character and the last film ends with:

she's the only survivor and is taking her ship to the engineer homeworld that feels like their disowning the ending. Can't blame them really
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:39 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Yassss. Saw the poster and release date on Facebook an hour ago. As a huge Aliens fan, who hates Prometheus with a fiery passion, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

It was a good poster, but ultimately I'm worried because the film seems to be trying to run the Engineer plot from Prometheus and the typical Alien/Aliens horror together. It might work, it might even be able to give the Aliens a decent backstory, but I can't really see them managing to maintain the same atmosphere of tension and horror from the original film while also trying to go through the grand space opera of the Engineers. I fear that the film might be split between whatever's going to happen to the Covenant as a kind of Alien-lite, and Shaw's continued quest for answers.

Some photos from the set can be seen here. They definitely don't seem to be afraid to indicate that they're going to carry on the plotlines from the last film, and the female cast member who's shown a bit more prominently looks like she's meant to be the Covenant's Ripley expy.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:55 pm

I just hope it brings something worthwhile to the table. No film in the franchise since Aliens has done that -- to the last they've been retreads of what came before, and generally disappointing ones at that. The Scott who gave us Alien might be able to deliver something new, but the Scott who gave us Prometheus? I dunno. I'll give it a shot -- Scott deserves that much -- but I'm not holding my breath.
Last edited by Bagheera on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:59 pm

I will say that poster is great. Minimalistic, but great. I'll reserve my expectations for when we see the trailer- the trailer for the original Alien was one of the greatest trailers ever made (in my meagre experience anyway) and I have a feeling the trailer for this will at least give us a hint of what we're in for. Hopefully it won't spoil too much.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:15 pm

From the comments, I was expecting a bit more from the poster. Nothing much to see here. Talk about generic.

My brain read the "RUN" in Ellie Satler's voice, so I guess that small weird joy was something.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: [Film] Prometheus + Sequels

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:44 pm

They aren't doing anything to erase my fears of them just rehashing Ripley with a different actress. :um:
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/n ... ve-a147668

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:40 am

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:49 am

Well, it looks competent enough, so I suppose it will serve the same purpose as the originals for the current generation. Personally, my take was, "eh, we've done this movie already, pass."

If this serves as a launchpad for something different later on down the line I'll be far more enthusiastic, though.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:08 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, it looks competent enough, so I suppose it will serve the same purpose as the originals for the current generation.

I guess this current generations parents have never heard of a BLU RAY PLAYER!

In all seriousness though. I'm much more excited for this than I am for Blade Runner or GITS. It looks like it's much grittier and violent than Prometheus.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:27 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:And here we go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

I think it basically wants to be the 'The Force Awakens' of Aliens, by copy-pasting as much of the first film's story and atmosphere as possible in order to get people interested again. But given how bad the last installments of the series were, they could honestly do much worse, and if it's anywhere near as good as the original it'll at least get people interested in the franchise again. I'll probably watch it, since at least it seems they'll be able to pull off the 'Alien slaughters humans aboard a space vessel' for part of the film. They do seem to be trying to meld it with Aliens by allowing the humans to use pulse rifles; hopefully that won't detract too much from the horror.

I'm wondering why they tried to make the Alien eggs look a bit different and made the chestbursters emerge from the back this time, since those details don't really seem to add anything to the story other than a futile attempt to demonstrate that the film is different from Alien.

And I'm nothing like you

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Alien: Covenant Cast  SPOILER: Show

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:51 pm

That's a lot of meat.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:56 am

View Original PostRay wrote:
Alien: Covenant Cast  SPOILER: Show

At least the set design is a lot closer to Alien/Alien Isolation than Prometheus, and it's a lot darker too. The table is definitely trying its best to emulate the infamous dining area from the original movie.

I do think that the larger cast isn't a good idea, since most of them will probably be killed off and we probably won't learn much about them other than their last names. Most of the cast of Prometheus ended up being inconsequential, and this seems like it would just magnify the problem.

And I'm nothing like you

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Prologue sequence released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I
Liking the character interaction a lot so far.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:04 am

^At the very least the crew actually feels like they actually know and work with each other, whereas the crew of the Prometheus knew each other for a week or less over the duration of the movie (except Shaw and Holloway, but we see very little of their relationship) and have very few personal interactions. This does give me some hope that the movie will be able to make the large cast seem developed and believable, or at least more believable than the cast of Prometheus.

Also, the whirring of the machinery and the set pieces like the hula girl do make the setting feel much more like the zeerust sci-fi of the original movie. I'm glad the machines actually seem to make beeping and other noises to support that (like in Alien Isolation) rather than everything being slick and noiseless like in Prometheus.

And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Also, the whirring of the machinery and the set pieces like the hula girl do make the setting feel much more like the zeerust sci-fi of the original movie. I'm glad the machines actually seem to make beeping and other noises to support that (like in Alien Isolation) rather than everything being slick and noiseless like in Prometheus.

Though, oddly enough, most such machines these days are actually pretty quiet. But audiences find that hard to believe, so noise is added in even though a functional version of the machine in question would be virtually silent.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm

There was a test screening of the film about a month ago & the response was very enthusiastic.
According to what I've been told through the grapevine the movie works spectacularly, features a strong narrative flow, has genuine scares, does not pull any punches & the cast is a delight with Michael Fassbender (of course) & Danny McBride being the real stand outs.

The film clearly ends with a set up for one more sequel/prequel left before things tie into the original ALIEN. A sequel that Ridley Scott intends to direct

In other news, Neill Blomkamp's horrible sounding Alien:Retcon where a hot 20 year old Newt - to be cast with "a Jennifer Lawrence type" played by Jennifer Lawrence - takes over the franchise & relegates Sigourney Weaver's Ripley to a very minor supporting role is still dead. From what I've been told the movie had all the usual Blomkamp faults which include but weren't limited to: tonal whiplash, shallow characters, bastardizations of important contemporary political issues but warped through a 12-year-olds mindset where the only answer to all social misunderstandings is GUNS, Ripley-In-Name-Only, Michael Biehn mansplaining things to Ripley & that being treated as a good thing, sexualization of Newt even though she still apparently is supposed to have the mind of a child but doesn't act like it, a lot of leftover concepts from his cancelled HALO movie adaptation & an all around subpar story. But it brings back two characters who were killed off 25 years so angry men who never grew up & are now affiliated with hate groups really want it.

Return to “Film and Video”