EOE as a comedy

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ZetaSonic
Embryo

EOE as a comedy

•      
  •      

Postby ZetaSonic » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:16 am

Maybe I'm just a sick son of a gun, but I've always seen End of Evangelion as one of the funniest films of all time: right up there with stuff like Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs, and Airplane!.

+ The legendary "Hospital Scene" where Shinji accidentally exposes Asuka's chest -- I always play "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye between the moment he gasps and the reveal of his splooge-covered hand.
+ The failure of Asuka in defeating the EVA-series: I keep imagining Mario power-up sound-effects for when the Harpies regenerate. Followed by "Wah-wah" music as she gets repeatedly skewered.
+ Ritsuko trying to destroy Nerv while Gendo aims his gun at her... and Caspar favors the man who called her a hag in life. Trim everything between "You picked your man over your own daughter!?" to the instant Gendo pulls the trigger and cue "the wah-wah horns" as she plummets into the LCL lake.
+ Misato baiting Chris Hanson with Shinji... and dying fifteen seconds later. Thirty-one more years left until retirement. All we need is GIR complaining "Aw, I wanted to explode!" before a blast rips her corpse apart. (Cue wah-wah horns when she bites it)
+ The fantasy scene of Asuka and Shinji in the condo just CRIES for Ren and Stimpy BGM (like "Turkey Trot"!)
+ Then there's this sequence of events:

FUYUTSUKI: "Will it become the Ark to save humankind from the nothingness of Third Impact? Or the demon that destroys us all? Our future lies in the hands of Ikari's son."

(Cut to...)

Shinji: "...they can all just die."

(Cut to various characters getting Tanged)

+ Plus Rei III and Gendo in a literal production of Farewell to Arms!

It's actually FUNNY if you look at it from my stance.
За звездным небосводом Бог судит , как мы судили

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: EOE as a comedy

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Also, when Shinji chokes Asuka

"This isn't 'will they or won't they!' This is 'I know they won't, and I don't want them to!'"

(Those of you familiar with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia will get the reference)
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Dojyaaaan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dojyaaaan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Best comedy movie of all time. Fun for the kids.
It was a long, long, roundabout path...

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 pm

It's even better when you watch the English dub.

Yoshikage Kira
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yoshikage Kira » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Gendo grabbing Rei's congas and then phasing into her gave me a chuckle.
"I simply want a peaceful life. It's just that it's in my nature to kill..."

SpaceCowboy35
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SpaceCowboy35 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 am

When I watched it with a friend, he clocked out at the first scene and started complaining that it wasn't space jam the entire time and was just hysteric the whole time.

I was scared to say the least

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:54 pm

I found the rebuilds funny... although not as it was intended.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:36 am

Okay edge lords, calm down. I don’t know if adding/imagining extra-textual elements means that the movie is funny. I think it’s more like you’re just really good at amusing yourselves while watching movies.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

I watched with someone once who somehow managed to find things to laugh at all the way through the Soryus' demise. He was completely silent once Third Impact began. I don't think the experience sat well with him and I imagine he forgot NGE as promptly as possible.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:55 pm

View Original PostZetaSonic wrote:Maybe I'm just a sick son of a gun, but I've always seen End of Evangelion as one of the funniest films of all time: right up there with stuff like Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs, and Airplane!.

+ The failure of Asuka in defeating the EVA-series: I keep imagining Mario power-up sound-effects for when the Harpies regenerate. Followed by "Wah-wah" music as she gets repeatedly skewered.

I would envision it more as the classic sonic death music or the Mario one because they rub in you really screwed up and died.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 am

Evangelion as a whole definitely knows when to use comedy to effect, and right-off from the beginning it's used to off-set or distract from the more serious aspects of the series. Episode 02 gives us the toothpick scene right before diving into an introspection with Shinji and then Misato. However, this intentional balance with the comedy is why it all but disappears entirely during the descent arc of the show and we're left with nothing but raw emotion. EoE especially comes across as bitter and unforgiving during its dark moments and there really aren't any moments of levity to balance it out.

That all said, the soldier that gets stomped on by the MP Eva when the whole series is arriving is utterly hilarious. It's a blink and you miss moment, but I'm ashamed that none of you have brought it up. It may be the only truly comedic moment in the film.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 am

The first time I watched EoE I laughed hard at the hospital scene to be fair, that was unintentionally funny to me.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 am

I'm reminded of a time many years ago, when I saw a video of the tanging sequence of EoE and Tumbling Down was replaced by Yankety Sax.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Well, better yet, Evangelion as a whole as a comedy - basically it would be Shinji Ikari Raising Project but with the EVAs being included in the plot replacing the Matrix-esque reality they fight the "Angels" in.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:08 pm

There's also the idea of Comedy in a more classical sense, as, IIRC, Comedy was once seen as a story that ends positively, compared to a Tragedy that ends negatively. In that sense, you could argue EoE really is a Comedy
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”