the "become one with me" sequence

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
lilim
Lilith

the "become one with me" sequence

•      
  •      

Postby lilim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 pm

i was recently rewatching the episode where Shinji is stuck in the sea of dirac and he sees Misato/Asuka/Rei all asking if he wants to "become one" with them. i was wondering if anyone besides me thinks its possible that this was yui speaking to him inside the core and because he could sense this female presence but didn't know it was his mother, he was cycling through the women close to him trying to land on something that felt right? is it possible that yui was asking if he *wanted* to stay that way inside the eva with her and because he was so unfamiliar with her (having not known her since he was a child and having no reason to believe she'd be inside unit 01 anyway) he just sensed something reaching out to him and didn't know how to interpret it?
once they begin trying to salvage him, and he sees all three again coming toward him one after the other asking "what do you wish" he then sees the image of yui with her hands out to him, and again he's asked "what do you wish"
plus, when he's lying in the hospital bed there's this:
"that scent? a human? Misato? Ayanami? no, not them. that's right. this is the smell of my mother."
i've seen different interpretations of this, ones like Misato/Asuka/Rei are meant to symbolize the ability to return to his body, or that he's simply trying to figure out who he wants to be with/ has feelings for/ is attracted to, or that its just meant to foreshadow instrumentality.. this just made more sense to me.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Re: the "become one with me" sequence

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:22 pm

For me, Shinji being trapped in the Eva during that episode was practically a warm-up to Instrumentality (Yui even says a version of her iconic "Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live" quote). This makes it clear that when Asuka, Misato, and Rei are asking him to become one with [them], they're reflecting the women in Shinji's life to meld with them like Instrumentality.

As shown in EoE, the person who you care about the most will appear to take you away (Misato for Hyuga and Ritsuko for Maya). It could also mean that Shinji cares deeply about those three that subconciouslly willing to let any one of them take him away.

The sense of smell is brought up quite a few times around the series (Rei says that Unit 01 smells like Ikari while Shinji smells blood at the end episode 16 after breaking out of Leliel), and here, it's being used to establish that special connection between mother and son.

In terms of the conversation between Yui and Gendo, it is well-known that Yui's soul power Unit 01, so what are the chances of a past conversation showing how much she cares for him slipping through?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Ozz
Embryo

Re: the "become one with me" sequence

•      
  •      

Postby Ozz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 am

* this is my analysis and theory* (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Yui is basically quantum in the plug as well, but this was her decision she knew of Gendo's and Seele's plan (Human Instrumentality Project). But Yui didn't want that life for Shinji so she sacrificed herself to protect Shinji, And she does every time unit 1 went berserk it was yui protecting her child. When Rei, Misato and Asuka asked Shinji if they wanted to be one with them. It was actually Yui preventing Shinji from making the Human Instrumentality Project happen. (because Shinji rejected)
"Humans forget their foolishness and repeat their mistakes. If humans do not redeem themselves willingly, they will not change.” - Seele

- Ozz

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”