Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:44 pm

You know, I hope this JLA movie inspires Marvel to create a squadron supreme or supreme power movie. It's like that Snyder took a lot of inspiration from JMS's work.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:42 pm

That would be interesting but I don't see them going that route in movies. It's risky on multiple levels.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 pm

If DC had been doing what Marvel's been doing for the past 9 years they could maybe start to think about a SS story after Phase III. But as is I don't think it would work since the DCCU isn't coherent enough to properly deconstruct in the way the SS deconstructed the JLA.

Also, Squadron Supreme massively predates JMS, and his iteration of it wasn't that great (the best by far being the eponymous miniseries by Mark Gruenwald).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 pm

^
Oh I know the history of the Squadron Supreme and Squadron Sinister Baggy, it's just that Snyder's vision is closer to JMS's and honestly prefer his interpretation. I enjoy the ancient astronaut theory and the alien human hybrid stuff, I liked also what he did to the Superman mythos and how Hyperion literally is the first superhero and is the reason superheroes exist in the first place.

If Disney wanted to make an R-rated superhero movie, it would be a great choice. And they could outdo the darkness and drama of the DC crap, take away the need and market for DC to continue to create those type of films with their characters, because Marvel can do it better.

I'm really wishing Marvel had bought the rights to the DC characters back in the 80's.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:47 pm

I could see some Marvel properties working with an R but If we get R rated comic book movies I'd rather we get characters that truly require it. I'd like a new Spawn movie, for one.

I'm a huge fan of the Thomas Jane Punisher and I'd like to see more of him in the role in the vein of the Dirty Laundry short he did but it's not going to happen. :/

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:49 pm

In June of last year, while on the Fatman on Batman podcast, Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada told Kevin Smith that the much disputed rights to Namor: The Sub-Mariner had reverted back to Marvel from Universal Studios. He had been locked up for years at Universal and then for a while it was unclear exactly who owned the rights. But Quesada’s statement seems to indicated that the mess had been cleaned up. This is an important thing to keep in mind since there is a fun new rumor swirling around.

A twitter account for Reel News Hawaii is talking about both Sub-Mariner and Aquaman filming in the Aloha State. Reel News Hawaii does have some credibility, being the first site to report that the Inhumans would be filming on the islands. And I could see Marvel wanting to get their undersea hero underway before DC’s makes his big screen debut.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/16 ... amor-film/
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I could see some Marvel properties working with an R but If we get R rated comic book movies I'd rather we get characters that truly require it. I'd like a new Spawn movie, for one.

I'm a huge fan of the Thomas Jane Punisher and I'd like to see more of him in the role in the vein of the Dirty Laundry short he did but it's not going to happen. :/

I could really go for a R rated Moon Knight movie

I honestly think that the newest Punisher is the best with Jane being the second and Lundgren being the worst.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 am

I don't think the Punisher needs lots of gore, but the backflipping rocket launcher thing was hilarious, I admit.

The Punisher is in this weird place where his typical comic book exploits would get a "soft" R but are too much for PG 13.

My ideal Punisher movie would be a throwback to Commando.

Moon Knight yeah. I'd love to see them take some risks with that.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 pm

http://www.obsev.com/entertainment/patr ... ovies.html

Patrick Stewart say's he's going to be sticking with the X-Men franchise until the very end.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Had the pleasure of getting to see LOGAN.
It has easily surpassed First Class as the best X-Men film. It's a genuine & moving movie that acts as an emotional send off for Hugh Jackman's character! Plus it's badass. It's not another dumb superhero movie but is an actual film from start to finish. No CG samurai's ruining the third act.
There will be future X-Men movies but I don't think one will be like this one. See it when you can!

Plus, in the continued disaster that is the DC Cinematic Universe: Matt Reeves has left THE BATMAN.
After taking the job a week ago he's left the film. My guess, WB convinced him to take the job while negotiations were going on elsewhere with whether or not Ben Affleck was going to stay on as Batman. Reeves sudden exit from the project so swiftly after signing on would indicate that Affleck is getting his wish & he could be exiting the role sooner rather than later. If Affleck leaves entirely that might also mean whatever script they have so far would start over from scratch & Reeves would have found himself having to direct whatever movie he was given even if it was a Batman V. Superman or Batman & Robin type disaster. Plus as far as I know WB has not budged from a targeted hopeful 2019 release date.
So.... he's out.
And I wouldn't be surprised if we hear pretty soon that Affleck's last go as the Batman is in November's JUSTICE LEAGUE.
Honestly, since The Lego Batman Movie version of the character is a thousand times better than the current live action one I don't feel it's much of a loss. Just give us The Lego Batman Sequel instead.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-negotiations-break-down-director-matt-reeves-977266
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 pm

It was gonna be an uphill climb rebooting Batman soon after the Nolan films anyway. (I mean, look at the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies.) And retreading the dead parents narrative only made it worse. (I heard audible groans at the theater I was in during the BvS opening.)

Ben Affleck is a talented actor and a solid director. He has too much at stake to try to draw more parallels to the other less-than-popular superhero titles that nearly killed his career with Daredevil. (Daredevil is not awful, IMO, it's just a little too silly sometimes.) I can see why he took the Batman job to begin with, but now that Warner Bros is getting too clingy to the creative process, I can also see why he's trying to leave now while he can.

That's too bad, too. I really wanted a good DCCU.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 pm

I think the best thing would be if, before Justice League starts, Ben Affleck walks out from behind the curtains in a tuxedo and says:
We've decided to scrap the whole shared universe thing. We've decided to make a plethora of standalone movies adapting great stories from 80 years of DC Comics history to capture the full variety of everything comics can be, from silly to serious and grand to grim. We'll leave continuity to the TV shows, who are doing it better anyway.

Now, ♫ Let's all go to the lobby, ♫
♫ Let's all go to the lobby ♫
♫ and have ourselves a treat ♫

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:35 pm

That's it. I'm done with Superhero movies. . . until there's good news, I'm just going to give most of what Marvel and DC do a pass.

I'll keep giving Fox Marvel movies a chance though.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:44 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:That's it. I'm done with Superhero movies. . . until there's good news, I'm just going to give most of what Marvel and DC do a pass.

. . . but those are the worst of the lot.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Deadpool, Logan, Days Of Future Past, and First Class would like to have a word with you. At least Fox can toe the line between Dark and Fun without feeling the need to quarantine all their darker content to Netflix . . . and actually make movies that resonate with fans (as the whopping 90% for X-Men Days Of Future Past states).

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Yeah DOFP IMO is better then any MCU film except Winter Solider/Civil War. Just a tiny bit above GOTG.
First Class is close in quality to the 1st Iron Man.

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:57 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:That's it. I'm done with Superhero movies. . . until there's good news, I'm just going to give most of what Marvel and DC do a pass.

Alright, but just know that this revokes your right to complain about the movies as well as our right to care about said complaint.

@Nick

How close is the movie to the comic when it comes to the X-men's fate? Because I want to see that gory mess.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Deadpool, Logan, Days Of Future Past, and First Class would like to have a word with you. At least Fox can toe the line between Dark and Fun without feeling the need to quarantine all their darker content to Netflix . . . and actually make movies that resonate with fans (as the whopping 90% for X-Men Days Of Future Past states).

I'm not sure I like this false dichotomy you keep presenting about light versus dark, and how it is basically the most important aspect of these films.

Also, as for Fox Marvel movies, let's not forget complete blunders like F4, Amazing Spiderman 2, and the other half of the shitty X-Men movies.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:09 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Alright, but just know that this revokes your right to complain about the movies as well as our right to care about said complaint.

After this clusterf*ck with DC? I'm just jaded and depressed. If DC is never going to get it right, if Marvel is never going to make a bad movie. Why set myself up for disappointment?

So much for 'optimism and hope' eh Mr. Johns?

@Sachi
Spiderman was Sony. and Tom Rothman (the guy who almost killed the X-Men movie franchise), is working for them now on the MCU connected Spider-Man movies. . .

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:09 pm

What does dark even mean?

Return to “Film and Video”