Serious Discussion has been permanently locked

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Serious Discussion has been permanently locked

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 pm

I am mildly bemused by the thanking ritual. Anyone was free to not read that forum, to not take part, or to remain friendly while joining in.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Perhaps, but the ill will it generated seeped out into the forum at large.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:31 pm

That may be so; and of course, the unread post listings included it whether you wanted it or not (that no longer happens with the new arrangement using a separate forum, of course, which is a big change).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:49 pm

I tend to think SD's been made a scapegoat of sorts, as most of the problems that have gotten people banned have occurred in other threads. Various threads in Chit-Chat, a couple in Discussion, a fair number in Rebuild, the FML thread, the News thread (which has always said "no politics" but invariably wound up including it), a few film threads, and so on and so forth. People talk about SD generating ill will, but it didn't tell me anything about forum users I didn't already know long before SD existed (and, past that, most of the ill will I've encountered -- and that I feel myself -- is based more on PMs and Skype than on anything in the SD forum).

Which is not to say shutting it down wasn't a good idea, particularly if the staff doesn't wanna deal with it. But I think you're kidding yourselves if you think getting rid of it will make the forum's problems go away. They didn't start with SD, and they sure as heck won't end with it. All you're really doing here is putting the rug back in place so you don't have to look at what lies beneath.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:53 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I am mildly bemused by the thanking ritual.

Obligatory note for anyone who might misread the above sentence: "bemused" is a synonym of "bewildered", not "amused".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:10 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: I think you're kidding yourselves if you think getting rid of it will make the forum's problems go away. They didn't start with SD, and they sure as heck won't end with it. All you're really doing here is putting the rug back in place so you don't have to look at what lies beneath.

They didn't start with SD, but they sure as hell multiplied with it.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:07 am

SD was created to enable such conversations to continue under containment. It was expected that a different approach to moderation would be required to keep it under control, but for several reasons, listed in the OP of this thread, that didn't work out.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:58 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:SD was created to enable such conversations to continue under containment. It was expected that a different approach to moderation would be required to keep it under control, but for several reasons, listed in the OP of this thread, that didn't work out.

Most of these points had already been made in opposition to a serious discussion subforum to begin with, there was a very strong support for the status quo of the time, in which the staff came down hard on discussions that increasingly inched toward the political and religious, they disappeared for a time and then came back in some form, this way you doused one fire at a time instead of having 5 going continously. Now I can appreciate the subforum was made to deal with the overflowing amount of serious discussions taking place, but having a temporary blanket ban would have probably worked better.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:but having a temporary blanket ban would have probably worked better.

Well, that's the way it now is as the result of experience, so there's not really much more to say about it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:33 am

Is the lonely hearts thread still in SD? Might want to pull it back into the general off topic board. I don't think there's anything inflammatory about a relationship thread.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I thought it was booted on account of gratuitous descriptions of various sexual practices... Hmm.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm

I've gone ahead and moved it back to general off topic. thread/15359/EGFs-House-of-Lonely-Hearts/
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”