Default Emoticon Set Discussion

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Default Emoticon Set Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Some of you may have noticed that more emoticons now show up on the right side of the posting page by default. The set on display as of this writing is the set I showed Reichu in this post. Reichu then went on to suggest that perhaps some modifications could be made.

ITT we discuss such modifications.

Right off the bat, I notice that the default set includes a lot of animated ones -- and getting rid of distracting animated ones was the primary motivation behind paring them down in the first place in that topic, so I assume that desire still stands.

I count 4 very noticeably animated ones, plus 2 less-distracting but still animated ones ( :shifty: and :bigeyes:).

So assuming we want to keep it to just the same 21 slots total, that's 4 to 6 replacements up for negotiation.

Reichu's already suggested adding :nyao: to the list. Any other suggestions?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Default Emoticon Set Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Shinji, head in hands - given what board this is? But that would spoil the tidy layout I suppose.

Also, I don't know why there are two winks there ( :wink: is fine, but ;) is horrid).

Here are some that get used at QC:
Image (to go with the devil, which we have as Image)
Image (for backseat modding??)
Image (had a spell of great popularity for some reason...)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:53 pm

While we're on the topic of what to remove from the current default set, I think :!: is out of place -- it almost never gets used, and noticeably sticks out from the rest by being not even a face.

I thought of one I'd personally like to add: :emogendo:

So what I've got so far is:

Remove: :lol: :hahaha: -o-; ;) :!: (Gonna hold off on adding the less-distracting animated ones to this list just yet.)

Add: :nyao: :emogendo: :???:

I thought we had a halo one, but it seems we don't.

Some more candidates: :w00t: :thumbsup:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:59 pm

The Gendo is a must. I like Monk's ideas.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:12 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:The Gendo is a must. I like Monk's ideas.

I thought it was an old man with a mustache :facepalm: ...maybe show more of the hands? Actually, considering the theme of the forum it would be nice to have Eva-themed emoticons by default.

Can't we just have miniature versions of the old Eva-icons?
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 am

Well, that got weird in a hurry: I went to implement the changes (finally) and the control panel for it is all kinds of fucked up. Several emoticons are duplicated and several that are known-working on the site don't even show up in one form of listing but do show up on a different form of listing but any attempt to use that second form to enact changes produces an error that doesn't say much about what went wrong. Something must have gone wacky during the transfer process from the previous forum software, unearthed only now.

One more for the to-do heap.
System Administrator

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Aaand I finally got around to implementing the rest of those changes. (Of which there turned out to be... one.)

It took like 5 minutes. :lol: (My solution was to just edit the database directly to add the one emoticon that refused to show up.)
System Administrator

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”