[Film] Alita: Battle Angel

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: [Film] Alita: Battle Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:28 pm

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/x-men ... 201885650/

Robert Rodriguez cast Lana condor(Jubilee in X-Men Apocalypse) as a supporting character.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:22 pm

She seems kind of old for Koyomi unless their doing some material from the later arcs where Koyomi is a teenager.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Jennifer Connelly has been added as a villain in it.

And Christoph Waltz, Mahershala Ali and Ed Skrein are also in it.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Jennifer Connelly has been added as a villain in it.

And Christoph Waltz, Mahershala Ali and Ed Skrein are also in it.

I'd be really interested to see Jennifer Connelly as a villain as she's been kind stuck as the kid stalked by the Goblin king, girlfriend or wife type characters for years so I'd love to see her shake that off and play a bad ass.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm not going to come right out and say, "This film is going to be trash," but signs are certainly pointing in that direction. Robby Rod hasn't made a decent film in over a decade and the vast majority of his theatrical credits range from one flash of pulpy brilliance (The first Sin City) to middle-of-the-road decent action flicks (Desperado, Planet Terror) to outright garbage (all of his "family" pictures, Machete Kills).

This project should have been given to the guy who made Ex Machina.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:30 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Robby Rod hasn't made a decent film in over a decade

Predators (2010) was great.
If he can take things as seriously as he did in that and force himself to not cheap out nor camp out like he did with the Machete films, I think it should be at least decent.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Predators (2010) was great.

He didn't direct that movie, though. It was done by a guy with the most unfortunate first name in the world.
Last edited by Guy Nacks on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:He didn't direct that movie, though.

Wow your right.
I recalled him being on all the behind the scenes videos and had his name plastered all over the trailers and assumed he directed it.
My bad.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:13 am

Budget is listed as 200 million. (Only 20 mill less then The Avengers and Ghost in the Shell was only 110 mill) so I guess I can at least put to rest my concerns about it looking cheap like the Machete films.

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:So we're either dealing with a film that adapts the entire manga or only the first volume

James Cameron has stated that he intends to adapt "the spine story" of Yukito Kishiro's original manga, with a specific focus on the first four books.[2] He especially wants to include the fictional sport "Motorball" from the third and fourth volume.[3][4]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:16 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Budget is listed as 200 million. (Only 20 mill less then The Avengers and Ghost in the Shell was only 110 mill) so I guess I can at least put to rest my concerns about it looking cheap like the Machete films.

I know, right? Now we can jump straight to worrying that yet another anime adaptation isn't going to make back its many millions of dollars.

You know, it would be really nice to produce a movie 80's or 90's style, and not spend so much money on a movie that it has to sell all of the tickets in China in order to be considered a worth while investment.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Literally the only reason I have any faith in this project whatsoever is that Cameron's duties as a writer/producer. Say what you will about him being an asshole, but he knows how to make a product that is appealing enough to make tons of cash. You'd have to believe he's been steering Robby Rod towards this effort being more of a Sin City than a Sharkboy and Lavagirl.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:17 am

That's true. But if Cameron does make this movie a profitable endeavor, it will be the literal first time in history a Japanese anime became a profitable American adaptation. That's still gonna be a challenge.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 am

This is literally my favorite manga ever and it's a super important series to me. I'm absolutely confident given the director it'll be garbage but I'll be there for a midnight showing. The only Alita toy ever released is super sub par so I'm just more excited for the media tie ins. Give me some toys!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

Only heard bad things about the movie. Rumors of something close to 95% of it has been shot against a green screen in a warehouse in Austin & being very camp. I'm figuring it will feel like a "gritty Spy Kids" movie.

I'll never forget the disappointment of my friend showing off some of the great locations he found for the film only to be informed how great they'll look when recreated in CGI.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Only heard bad things about the movie. Rumors of something close to 95% of it has been shot against a green screen in a warehouse in Austin & being very camp. I'm figuring it will feel like a "gritty Spy Kids" movie.

I'll never forget the disappointment of my friend showing off some of the great locations he found for the film only to be informed how great they'll look when recreated in CGI.

That's just really sad because I've heard one of the huge issues actors suffer from now is that they have no idea what there acting against and its been pointed out in some monster and marvel movies that the actors eyes are off track and there not correctly focused on the monster or that there reaction is just not believable. This why I think they need to start shooting some scenes on location and still have smaller puppet version of the creature so the actors know what it looks like or for them to see it in sketches they did this in Cloverfeild and it really helped. Also hearing that this is film is turning in to a camp production is not good because then it won't be 18 or 15 and will get forced in to PG13 rating and be focused more at young kids.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 pm

I knew most of the movie was shot on a greenscreen in lieu of shooting on location....
I did not know they went a step further and have gone "Full Anime" turning the lead actress into a creepy anime-eyed CG character.

Oooof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=105&v=CqYfXOYqzy4

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:17 pm

I can't even get excited for the toys at this point. This is my favorite manga and your earlier comment about gritty Spy Kids seems too on the mark. Also they showed the Motorball manager but no Motorball? How much of the manga is this going to adapt? Motorball is like the halfway point.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhAkOUJseqM&ab_channel=KinoCheckInternational

I agree with Gendo'spapa the anime eye look is very creepy, it reminds me of the issue with Polar Express and Mars Needs Mums where its so in human despite trying to be human that it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Technically, her body is a construct, so her unnaturaly big eyes, may be someones fault in universe.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Ordinarily Chuckman is without fear but jesus fucking christ that ungodly thing is unnerving, kill it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”