Anno Khara Expo Interview: Eva Going Gundam; Films/TV/etc. From Different Directors Possible

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Anno Khara Expo Interview: Eva Going Gundam; Films/TV/etc. From Different Directors Possible

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:57 pm

Source. This was also on Anime News Network's newsfeed.

There are a bunch of fascinating revelations in this booklet, if this is indeed accurate. It describes how Anno left Gainax because he felt he had run out of things to do and formed Khara primarily as an anime planning company or a think tank rather than an actual production company, but that changed once the 1.0 project started to gather steam.

Here's the most important and game-changing excerpt:

According to Anno, Evangelion will continue to be a mainstay of Khara’s output, and even identity. Anno’s overall attitude appears to be that his involvement in the animation industry is simply one of love of the craft–whether it be from the perspective of creator, archived materials curator, or businessman. As he himself states, it is his way of “giving back.” However, because he himself is an animation fan, he admits he can agree with the sentiment of fans who feel that he keeps going back to Eva for the money. And the way he justifies it is very blunt: making money is important, otherwise you cannot reinvest in something else to continue to create.

For the future, he wishes Evangelion will become a cultural icon, one of the cornerstones of anime, much like Gundam, which has become an institution in and of itself. Like Gundam, where many creators can play around with the elements and create their own worlds, it is Anno’s hope that Evangelion can also be set free, to be reconstructed and reinterpreted in many ways by many other artists.

This basically confirms that Anno is essentially bankrolling his studio with profits from the Rebuild films and that Evangelion is about to pull a Tomino/Lucas and have different directors making their own takes on the property with Anno, the chief creative force, ceding control. The implications of this are massive. New EVA TV series, new films, new manga, it's all on the table...but without Anno being the one in the driver's seat.

Here is another interesting excerpt:

Anno sees production companies as “containers.” They house people, and works; sometimes new people come in and out, sometimes works do the same. But the container has to be maintained. Once this management is set up, you have a stable, working system. Using the metaphor of a plantation, Anno says that he feels he can often just concentrate on managing and let others plant the seeds–a feeling that even includes his seminal work, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

This seems to jibe with his previous statements of the production of NGE being a collaboration where he fielded suggestions from everyone and then from that wrote the scripts. It also explains Rebuild and his "plantation owner" role in the production, where most of the actual legwork seems to be coming from his overseers Tsurumaki, Masayuki, and Maeda.

I just realized that is a terrible metaphor.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Anno Khara Expo Interview: Eva Going Gundam; Films/TV/etc. From Different Directors Possible

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:10 am

This raises a couple of questions for me. The first is whether any other anime director in the immediate future will want to touch the property considering the impact it had on the anime industry. The second is if Eva having multiple versions like the Gundam franchise would devalue the original in some way.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I just realized that is a terrible metaphor.

Now you're having me imagine him in white suit and sitting in a rocking chair on a front porch in the South. :lol:
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Apox
Embryo

The Future Of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Apox » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:15 am

Could be interesting, I'm sure some diehards will dislike this, but I'm okay with more evangelion even tho it might not be done by anno.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Anno Khara Expo Interview: Eva Going Gundam; Films/TV/etc. From Different Directors Possible

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:38 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:This raises a couple of questions for me. The first is whether any other anime director in the immediate future will want to touch the property considering the impact it had on the anime industry. The second is if Eva having multiple versions like the Gundam franchise would devalue the original in some way.

Tomino directed more Gundam material in terms of total hours of content by the time War in the Pocket came around than Anno has with NGE and Rebuild combined. The biggest issue is that Anno's been the leading creative force of the franchise for WAY longer than Tomino was when he handed the reins over to other people, so THAT'S the intimidation factor. But, since Anno appears to be encouraging people to take the reins, that may alleviate some concerns. It would be interesting to see an Evangelion project done by Makoto Shinkai, since Shinkai has cited Evangelion as an influence in the past, and he's still relatively young.

To your second point: Everyone's gonna know that NGE and NTE are the "true" Evangelion content because of Anno's involvement, so the fact that someone else helms the material shouldn't devalue the original at all. In fact, it'll probably do the exact opposite. You know why? Because that's the effect that Rebuild alone has been having on a lot of people in regards to the heightened perception and appreciation of the original...and Rebuild's being done by Anno!
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:06 pm

... I'm going to have to process this information a bit longer. I don't know what to feel about Evangelion being a franchise opened to that many different directors. I mean, I guess it's no different than what they've been doing with the many, many different manga versions of the property, but I'm still not sure that I like the concept.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:44 pm

@OP, I very distinctly remember hearing something to this effect before, though at this point it's hazy whether it was from an official statement somewhere or just fan speculah... I've been able to find an example of the latter through searches, but none of the former. Not terribly satisfying! Does anyone else feel like they heard about "Eva going Gundam" years ago?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Personally speaking I'm just glad Eva is going to have a Post Anno, post-rebuild life. Especially considering the obstacles the last rebuild movie has to surmount in order to be a worthy conclusion to Shinji's story.

Maybe I'll get my Shinji ikari raising project anime adaptation?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm fine with it. Eva's been farmed out for years for video games, manga, novels and so on without Anno at the helm, and this really isn't any different. Might be good to have someone else's take on the property.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:39 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Personally speaking I'm just glad Eva is going to have a Post Anno, post-rebuild life. Especially considering the obstacles the last rebuild movie has to surmount in order to be a worthy conclusion to Shinji's story.

See, I was kinda hoping for the exact opposite. I wanted to see Anno to go through a Post-Eva life. So, whereas this news might not be bad and might even blossom into some marginally neat things with the Eva property, it doesn't guarantee a series of Post-Eva Anno works.

But there might be hope there. Anno expresses that he's simply trying to build capital through this in order to fund other creative endeavors within his studio. I just hope it all doesn't fall into a refined entropy of only non-Anno Evangelion works being produced all of the time. I don't think that's a future any of us want to see Studio Khara fall into. I think we all want to see Anno tackle some non-Evangelion work after this. He hasn't done a none-Eva animated work since Kare Kano in 1998. It's time for him to maybe dip back into the world of animation without Evangelion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:26 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Does anyone else feel like they heard about "Eva going Gundam" years ago?
Anno was saying Gundam was a Tale, and he wanted to do something similar

thread/15832/Evangelion-New-Theartical-Edition-as-Tale/ =>
thread/15335/Hideaki-Annos-short-essay-on-Gundam/ =>
Anno, April 10, 2005 wrote:As for me, I'll do my best so that my next project will come across as a Tale.

We have enough examples of Gundam to see the broad Spacenoid/Char/Newtype/Earth Arc pattern. But even in UC Amuro isn't Kamille isn't Judau isn't Banagher (and even if Char is Char most of the time, he has changes of heart). Even with the Rebuilds, we don't have enough to see what might emerge that isn't just Shinji/Rei/Asuka/Kaworu AU fic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:02 pm

I absolutely will welcome this, bring on the Anima anime series!!! :D
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:02 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Especially considering the obstacles the last rebuild movie has to surmount in order to be a worthy conclusion to Shinji's story.

I think Final is going to be pretty awesome, since it's being made by the guy that made that movie End of Evangelion.

hui43210 wrote:I absolutely will welcome this

Seriously, man. There are so many great anime writers and directors out there that grew up with NGE and I'm sure would love to do their own thing with the wonderful source material that is the Eva-verse.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:33 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:@OP, I very distinctly remember hearing something to this effect before, though at this point it's hazy whether it was from an official statement somewhere or just fan speculah... I've been able to find an example of the latter through searches, but none of the former. Not terribly satisfying! Does anyone else feel like they heard about "Eva going Gundam" years ago?

This was, indeed, Anno's early intention. Here is a very quick translation of a relevant section of the 1.0 CRC Anno interview:

SPOILER: Show
Anno: ... I think it was probably around October of 2005 that I decided to do the new film series. Of the memos I did in Word, the earliest is dated November 10.

- What sort of things did you put down in that memo?

Anno: I wrote a few different things, but the main thrust was something like aiming to “Gundamize” Eva or to make it “classical.” Among the things I put down was the idea of creating, like a “Part Two,” a new series with the Evangelion name, though the ideal I had in mind was a “G Evangelion.”

- By that you mean a work that, like the old G Gundam, would fundamentally overturn the existing concept of Eva?

Anno: Yeah. You have that development where, “G” does pretty well, then “W” is a hit, with “X” the popularity flags a little, then “S” [Seed] is a mega-hit (laughs). You do have “V” before all that, however.

- So what you wrote focused less on the content of the work than on this kind of business-like concept.

Anno: Right. More than business, I was thinking about the future of the anime industry. I hate calling anime “content,” but when you are thinking in terms of business, you get more misunderstandings within that world if you call it “product,” so I will use “content.” So when you think of anime in terms of “content” rather than as works, outside of kids’ animation, I feel like it is currently finding itself at a dead end. In kids’ animation you have plenty of substantial “content,” whether it is Anpanman or Doreamon or Pokemon or Crayon Shin-Chan, and these works are constantly being updated. You get a good feeling about it, I think. Since you have a lot of works that have already been going for more than ten years, and which look set to endure into the future, I think the line is likely to continue. But when I think about [adult] animation, I worry that there is nothing else besides Gundam.

- That’s something that I myself have long been concerned about - the fact that too few anime produce enduring lines of character-based merchandise.

Anno: Right. If all we have is Gundam, what will become of the industry? Even tokusatsu, which is said to be an industry in decline, has three pillars in the Rider, Ultra and Sentai series, which have endured for thirty or forty years. The amazing thing especially about the Sentai series is the way it renews itself each year and carries on without hiatus. You have had periods of time without any entries in the Ultra and Rider series, but in the end I feel they are reliable properties that have endured into the present day. When we think of these three in terms of our own genre of concern, then despite tokusatsu possessing three pillars, anime has only one in Gundam. Yamato, which had originally planned to establish itself as an enduring line even earlier, has remained, due to various circumstances, unable to do so.

- The only other work you might think of in terms of establishing itself is Macross.

Anno: Macross has also endured, but I still don’t think it has attained mainstream social appeal. Ghibli anime has been mainstreamed, but it has the same kind of feeling as Disney animation and is therefore something of a different case. In any event the only anime merchandise an ordinary salaryman can really place on his desk is Gundam merchandise. I think that, when other people see a mobile suit [on your desk], they just look at it like “this guy likes Gundam” and leave it at that. You get the sense that it is permitted as something understood throughout society as a whole or not something belonging only to otaku. That’s what’s amazing about Gundam. Apart from that, there’s not really any anime mainstream enough that you can put its merchandise on your desk. Because of that, I would like to see more, and more expansive, content, even just one more pillar, that can support the anime industry - understood as being part of a different category than Miya-san’s current work. That is one important motivation [behind the current project]. I feel like with Eva, it is just barely permissible, perhaps, to have the merchandise on your desk. Because of that, I want people to still be making new Eva works ten or twenty years in the future. I think it would be good if it reached a point where not myself, but other young creators, could continue the series as they please, one after another.

- I see. The desire to bring Evangelion up to become that sort of work was present as an important motivation even before beginning the new theatrical series.

Anno: Right. I have the hope that Evangelion can usefully serve as a content pillar supporting the industry as a whole. I could have used some other work, but, thinking about it objectively, in the end I feel that the potential Evangelion possesses as a content will be higher. It’s something that I can develop as I please, without worrying about rights to the original work or other such troublesome aspects.

- Therefore the methodology behind the current project is not a "remake" but a "rebuild," but was this a conception that occurred to you at the same time as that thought?

Anno: Well, that was where the circumstances took me. If I remember correctly, the discussions I had about creating my own company came about prior to the plan for the new theatrical edition, but I believe I had already talked about creating an Eva part two during work on the Nadia DVD-BOX (2001).

- Ah, if I’m not mistaken you had chatted about it with Otsuki-san around that summer at the King Records studio, while you were editing the bonus material Masayuki-san had done. “Let’s keep creating follow-ups, in the manner of Gundam or Yamato.”

Anno: Yeah. At that point I had already started to think that if we didn’t expand and enlarge Evangelion as part of the contents industry, the industry might not have a future, so we should do it while we still could. So I had tried bringing up the idea of doing an Evangelion part two to a number of different people, but all the responses I got expressed a hesitation to touch Evangelion; no one would do it for me (laughs).

- I feel like you had also already brought up, during the Nadia conversation, the idea that it didn’t have to be a continuation of the story, but rather a completely different work, a “G Eva.”

- Right. I told everyone, “It can be ’G Evangelion’, so won’t you do it?”, but they wouldn’t. As I thought, if “V” doesn’t come first, no one will do it for me (laughs). “If that’s the case, maybe I have to create ’V’ myself first...” I think that once you have displayed a sample demonstrating that it’s okay to touch Evangelion, then it becomes easy for other people to alter it and create new works. In order to do that, I thought it was necessary to return to the title once more, myself.

- So you didn’t have the option of creating a different, “G Eva” type work yourself?

Anno: Just before this work I had been thinking for a long time about a live action project, but it had been struggling to get off the ground, and I had rethought the project as a TV anime series, switching it from live action to anime. I had thought, if it was possible, that I would have to do the Eva films alongside it. So at that time, I didn’t intend to put that much time into the Eva project, feeling that I could have the first two parts be upgraded compilations [of the original story] and just change the ending a bit.

This intention seemed to get lost over time, however, and in the 2014 Japan Times interview Anno seemed to have abandoned it altogether:

“All I want to do is to make good films,” he says. “I can either be a director, animator, scriptwriter or producer. Any of those roles is fine with me — I don’t even mind if I’m not involved as a director.”

“Evangelion,” he admits, is something of an exception (“I think it’s better if I direct the “Evangelion” films,” he says), but he balks at comparisons to George Lucas and “Stars Wars,” even though he engineered a Lucas-like reboot of the “Evangelion” series.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:46 am

Since the tangent regarding it has kind of taken over the outside evidence thread, I'm necroing this one here, this is the much more appropriate place to discuss it.

Not to overstep my bounds, but I'd appreciate it if someone with the power to do so would split off the tangent and merge it into here
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:16 pm

I would actually enjoy a Gundam-like broadening of the franchise. It opens up the possibility to have a broader range of stories, to cater to different tastes. Gundam itself offers a wide range of tones and themes as well, so it could be possible for waffy Eva (continuing where the action arc left off, but shifting for the better) to exist alongside the really dark stuff (more in lines with the tone of the descent arc/EoE). I certainly would enjoy animated fanfiction like that. :nyao:
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 am

It would definitely be cool to see it happen, yeah. Although at the same time I would wish for these things to take genuinely new turns instead of just remixing the existing story or placing the characters in an arbitrary new setting.

The thing I would like to see the most I think is a side story of sorts that tells the events from the perspective of a random civilian, similar to how War in the Pocket does it, but unlike 0080 only from the civilian perspective, since Nerv's side is obviously already known.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:24 am

I guess I’m the one weirdo here who would like to see Thrice Upon A Time be the true “End of All Evangelion’.

No spin-offs. No prequels. No legacy sequels where the next generation takes over.

I’d just like to see Evangelion end. Forever.

A story can end. And not everything needs an expanded universe.

There’s so many good works of entertainment being made that there’s no need to continually dilute one thing because of the familiar name attached to it.
Does anyone care for the nth Tenchi Mayo spin-off? Does anyone read the 30th Dune Prequel novel because they really want to?

Shrug. I’m in the minority here but I hope the artists at Khara are allowed to do their own things from now on and not have to reverse engineer any future projects they want to do into being Evangelion related.

Let it end.

I’d welcome a series truly ending for once.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:23 am

I'm going to second Gendo's Papa here. Not only because I dread the thought of mediocre Evangelion content being made for the next decades, but also because I don't see Eva being nearly as flexible as the Gundam franchise. Admittedly, back in the day Char and Amuro were essential parts of the Gundam universe, but following works showed that all they really needed was the Gundams and a war going on to make it work.

The "mechs" are so intrinsically linked to Shinji and the rest of the cast I don't see any alternate universe thing working, and having side stories of characters reacting to the events of te main series also seems a bada idea.

I'm being kind of negative. New Eva content made by anyone that isn't Hideaki could be good, but it looks so unlikely to me I'd rather it not happen at all. Not like it's my choice anyway.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 am

As of NTE, the link between Pilot and Eva was radically weakened; the mother soul is not even required anymore, units are freely interchangeable between pilots. And nothing stands in the way of new characters getting their own Evas. There's plenty of potential for stories here.

As for the "Evangelion should just end": It already did with EoE! NTE is already more or less fan-fiction. ;P What I'm trying to say is: just like with Star Trek, which went on to create mediocre (or rather: abysmal) movies and series post 2009, nothing is stopping you from rejecting part of this hypothetical Eva-Franchise from your headcanon. It's also a little strange for me to think that Eva could end. While I did say that it did so with EoE, it really didn't. Eva is a story that repeats and that does not give you closure. I doubt that Shin will be any more "final" in its ending than EoTV or EoE. Eva is about the journey, more so than most other stories. And, if nothing else, shitty sequels will spawn delicious fandom-splits and hilarious amounts of angry rants, which can also be highly entertaining.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:As of NTE, the link between Pilot and Eva was radically weakened; the mother soul is not even required anymore, units are freely interchangeable between pilots.

Do we really know this for sure though?

As for the "Evangelion should just end": It already did with EoE! NTE is already more or less fan-fiction. ;P

Hmm, isn't it like the opposite of that? Same writer/director, expanding on themes of the show, etc.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”