New Evangelion Analysis series

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Lordd_Humungous
Embryo

New Evangelion Analysis series

•      
  •      

Postby Lordd_Humungous » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:19 pm

https://youtu.be/eHE1WSTKY1M

I'm beginning a new 3 part Analysis/critique of the Evangelion Rebuild films. This is the first part, which is just a general look at how the piece of art has undergone change.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: New Evangelion Analysis series

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:15 pm

I tend to agree with some of the points you made in the video, but I don't think that the films are bad because they deviated from the plot of the show. I actually think the films are weakened because they don't deviate enough from the plot of the show, along with how those deviations were executed. By almost carbon-copying the entire plot of episodes 1-6 in 1.0 and playing footsie with some minor changes in 2.0, any audience who has seen NGE is going to have a near impossible time trying to treat NGE and Rebuild as two separate entities, so that when the plot DOES begin to diverge, it's far easier to nitpick if those divergences were handled in a way that seemed inferior compared to what was done with NGE. 3.0, having deviated the furthest, actually had the most potential to be great because it's the first film that feels almost completely unrestrained by the guideposts set out by the structure of the TV series, but it utterly fails because of a lack of character development, illogical actions by characters, and a doling out of information that is so sparse, it seems to intentionally want to make the audience frustrated at it so that it sympathizes with the main character.

Also, I'm pretty damn certain I know what scene you were referring to in 2.0 that you're going to cover in your next video.

Although, if I were to do a video essay (and I've actually been toying with this idea for a while) I would only do it after all four films have come out and then review in parallel what the NGE set out to do and accomplishes and what Rebuild set out to do and accomplishes. I would cover the events and character developments of NGE with their corresponding Rebuild counterparts and examine them from beginning to end, as well as other details, like music, animation, structure, etc.

It would probably end up being around 2 hours long.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ran1
Banned

Re: New Evangelion Analysis series

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:00 pm

View Original PostLordd_Humungous wrote:https://youtu.be/eHE1WSTKY1M

I'm beginning a new 3 part Analysis/critique of the Evangelion Rebuild films. This is the first part, which is just a general look at how the piece of art has undergone change.

I've been planning on making some longer omnibus post about this later on, but I do want to catch you while you're still in the process of working on the series. I'm not sure I'm understanding the newfriends vs. oldfags commentary you're trying to reach at here. Did you mean that in terms of international viewership or domestic viewers? The implications of either or both are somewhat far-reaching.

After two brief trips to Japan during my time away from here I've noticed that the "millennial" market for Rebuild in Japan which I suppose you could broadly identify as "newcomers" for the sake of arguing the point -- engage with the series in radically different ways than the original air fans from Japan or the Adult Swim Kiddies here did and do. Their appreciation of the original series usually comes in briefly digested clips from re-runs or from their parents' media collection, so the "cinematic" qualities of Rebuild rather than narrative ones seem to be foremost attraction to the newcomers. Part of that I think has to do with obvious fundamental differences in storytelling between the two forms, and of course the differences in production value, etc. But if the general thrust here is that the product was somehow "watered down" for newer audiences with occasional allusions to the old series to please fans, I don't necessarily see that.

Anno/Khara has no reason to attempt to please an "otaku" or "old" audience here because after three installments it's already achieved global brand status in its own right. The original series was also meant to be a critique on otaku viewership, so again I'm not entirely sure there's any attempt at the bait-and-switch you might be identifying here?

All that said, I agree wholeheartedly Re: Asuka. I think that's where you're going to have the best series of criticisms plowing forward. A comparison/critique of the two Asukas is by no means new ground, especially here -- but the digestible length of the series at this moment and the drive-by analysis could serve to aggregate a lot of wasted, flamey energy that was spent here in the old 2.0 wars regarding her in addition to pressing forward your own personal vision of the character's development. Again, just my two cents, and subscribed, looking forward to more, etc.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Return to “Fan Works”