Digital Enhancement of Episode 16

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

pwnsweet
Embryo

Re: Digital Enhancement of Episode 16

•      
  •      

Postby pwnsweet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:40 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:a french expert encoder known as Fussoir made the BEST filter chain on avisynth by far I've seen to fix it scene by scene on Episode 16.

My filter chain:

fastlinedarken(strength=128,luma_cap=255, threshold=5,thinning=0)
masked_dha(rx=2,ry=2)
smdegrain(refinemotion=true, contrasharp=true, tr=9, thsad=400)
msmooth(chroma=true,threshold=4,strength=1,mask=false)
vinverse
aaa()
spline64resize(1440,1080)
awarpsharp2(thresh=128)
LSFmod(strength=1000, Smode=3, defaults="slow", edgemode=1, overshoot=5, undershoot=20)
masked_dha(rx=2.5,ry=2.5)
spline64resize(720,540)

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:33 pm

View Original Postpwnsweet wrote:My filter chain:

fastlinedarken(strength=128,luma_cap=255, threshold=5,thinning=0)
masked_dha(rx=2,ry=2)
smdegrain(refinemotion=true, contrasharp=true, tr=9, thsad=400)
msmooth(chroma=true,threshold=4,strength=1,mask=false)
vinverse
aaa()
spline64resize(1440,1080)
awarpsharp2(thresh=128)
LSFmod(strength=1000, Smode=3, defaults="slow", edgemode=1, overshoot=5, undershoot=20)
masked_dha(rx=2.5,ry=2.5)
spline64resize(720,540)

Hmmm that honestly doesn't look better than what I managed to come up with by myself before Fussoir helped me with the script. Although from your vinverse parameter I suppose you used it on the DVD, which looks a little bit worse than the BD.

I don't know if fussoir would like for me sharing his script around but it is fairly more complicated than this. I see you used two passes of masked_dha for dehaloing, Initially I tried that too, but with Finedehalo which is a better overall plugin with a lot of tweaks for dealing with secondary halo artifacts. Even so, that wasn't enough for the BD master. Fussoir methods was to use a prefilter technique that compared a blured picture and masked luminance differences close to the edges. This was the only way that properly killed all Halo.

Here is an excerpt of the prefilter chain he used:

Code: Select all

dh  = FineDehalo (darkstr=0)
   dha = dh.aWarpSharp2 (chroma=6, cplace="MPEG2")
   dh  = mt_merge (dha, dh, redmask, luma=true, y=4, u=3, v=3)
   (! fast_flag) ? dh : dhb

darkbg_mask = fslg_make_mask_dehalo_dark_background ()

(...)

# cm2 is a mask on the edges of the brightest halos, that will produce 2nd-order dark halos
   cm2 = cmd.fslg_get_brightest_halo_mask ()

# cm3 detects the main edges. We don't want to apply delahowing just on the edges
   cm3 = edge_mask.fslg_get_main_edge_mask ()

# cm4 is a mask on dense edges. We want to exclude these areas from 2nd-order halo removal, because the dark lines would be erased (false positive).
   cm4 = edge_mask.fslg_get_dense_edge_mask ()

# Removes the 2nd-order halos by raising the contrast, clamped with a blurred clip
   cr2 = fslg_removes_2nd_order_halos ()

# Mask on the 2nd-order halos
   cm2 = mt_lutxy (cm2, cm3, "x y -")
   cm2 = mt_lutxy (cm2, cm4, "x y -")
   mt_merge (last, cr2, cm2, y=3, u=2, v=2)

FineDehalo_contrasharp (src, 0.25)
   mt_merge (src, last, main_halo_mask, luma=true)

Also, I'd prefer instead of Spline64 to use needi3_rpow2 with Spline36, and those LSFmod and awarpsharp2 settings are too high IMO.

To be honest, I was more curious with your color correction. You said you did it scene by scene. I saw in your trailer that you used the promotion cell for the helicopter scene which removes all Yellow cast. That particular scene I decided not to touch on my color correction because after checking the broadcast version, It seemed to me like a color grading choice from the director for a "sunset" look on the scene. But I liked other scenes from your color correction, I was curious with it and the difference approaches overall.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999

pwnsweet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pwnsweet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 pm

Do you have skype sephirotic?

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:00 am

View Original Postpwnsweet wrote:Do you have skype sephirotic?

I've sent you a PM with my skype.

pwnsweet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pwnsweet » Sat May 07, 2016 9:05 pm

"Great things" coming soon.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 am

Suggested fan project: fastidiously recreate episode #16 from scratch. (Would anyone be crazy enough to even consider it?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sun May 08, 2016 2:27 am

pwnsweet Is doing an insane and amazing job correcting the Broadcast version of Episode 16 I have also offered to help color correct the Episode after he is done his wizardly.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Suggested fan project: fastidiously recreate episode #16 from scratch. (Would anyone be crazy enough to even consider it?)

I've actually thought about doing exactly that. And I even suggested it to some fans in another community. They called me a fool when I said I was serious about it.

I think is doable giving enough people interested. We just need half a dozen more fools like me.

Ssplitting the job with half a dozen of fans with some decent talent in Photoshop, Illustrator After Effects and PaintSAI would certainly be enough (given enough time, of course) to do a digital reanimation of Episode 16 by vectoring the low resolution cells one by one, manually. That would be the biggest time consuming work but could be done by anyone that know some intermediate skills with Photoshop/AI or PaintSAI. We are looking at around 200~500 unique cells to be vectored. Giving 20 minutes for each vectoring and another 20 for coloring each cell divided by 4 people, that would be around 20-40 hours of work which is not that absurd. However, redoing the backgrounds would be the most troublesome task, as someone with proper drawing skills in the area to try and mimic the art style and CREATE new detail that don't look off, would be needed. For backgrounds, we would need another 50~100 unique drawings. Which are much more time consuming to do and would need someone with proper talent. Combining and finalizing everything, would actually be the easiest part, anyone with some intermediate knowledge of AE, such as myself, could do it.

Just find someone who would be willing to do the backgrounds, no matter in how many months, even years it would take, and committed to the job, and it could be done.

The most difficult scene would be Unit 01 breaking out of Leliel, as the cells are blurred from the sprays of blood. Mimicking the blur effect of the blood and giving the right "texture" would also be tricky.

Getting an "analogical" 16mm filmic feel would also be a must for a digital remake, but could also be done remarkably convincing with overlayed grain, fake textures and artificial shake.

I have expertise in After Effects and Photoshop, and know how to do some basic vectoring, So that would be one person.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 08, 2016 3:24 am

Is vectoring capable of imitating the look of ink and paint on cel?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sun May 08, 2016 1:29 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Is vectoring capable of imitating the look of ink and paint on cel?

After rastering, one can add templates of artificial texture on photoshop/after effects. Acrylic paint tend to look very smooth and flat to the point I believe a fake texture would be unnecessary. Artificially making the strokes uneven would be the only technique I'd apply to make it less "fake". Most of the fine details would be masked by the strong grain of the 16 mm film anyway. The only cell artifact I can think would be visible enough to the point of needed being "faked", would be the shadow cast of several layers in some scenes. But that could be done without so much effort.

So, in short, YES.

How realistic it would all look would depend proportionally of how much time is committed on such project. A whole episode would take DOZEN of hours. People with proper skill would hardly commit to it without being a hardcore fan like myself.

You know what? I think I'll take a couple of scenes about 10-15 seconds and try to do it and show to you guys. I'm not that good in digital painting to do some nice backgrounds, but I could try and make it work for a couple of less complex scenes. Maybe if the result is good enough, this would work as an incentive for more people joining for the idea.

I'll start working on it after I finish my EoE translation and "release" it. So it would take a couple of weeks to a month, minimum.

EDIT:
I've counted the amount cells for the first half of episode 16, discounting eye and mouth sub-cells. They are around 910. My initial estimation was a little optimistic, although I was thinking about full complex cells when I estimated 500. About 2/3 of those 910 cells are relatively small portions of the frame not much detailed, so considering about 1/3 of those high detail frames, that would be around 300 for the first half. Not that much more than I originally imagined. It still is in the realm of "doable" for a 4~6 group of people doing it.

I'll count the second half dividing between complex full cells, body cells and small/detail cells, better yet, I'll try recreating 3 cells and a background, see how much time it takes and how does it look and post in 4k for you guys by the weekend.

pwnsweet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pwnsweet » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Sephirotic, please check your messages/Skype. I've been trying to contact you for over a week now :)

pwnsweet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pwnsweet » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:07 am

OP updated

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Enhancement of seeing Unit 01 rip it's way out of Leliel? Hell. Yes.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:32 am

^ I seem to recall that being one of the only parts of 16 that still looks perfectly fine.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:^ I seem to recall that being one of the only parts of 16 that still looks perfectly fine.

The Interpositive version from the Renewal and BD is not very good, the black crushed issues on this version of episode 16 kills a lot of shadow detail from unit 01 in the Scene Unit 01 escapes from Leliel. Archival version is better.

Koo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Koo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Let's redo the whole series, including the movies and let's redraw the manga.
It will be great.

TBsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TBsq » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Hey any news about this?

pwnsweet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pwnsweet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:37 am

Current status is: Sephirotic, my collaborator and color corrector has life things that have been preventing him from completing his part of the project.

Hakyra
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hakyra » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:00 pm

Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself:

1 Year ago i set up to do a version of Evangelion in my language, since the only way to watch it was in DVD and they are extremly rare, so using various BD rips i found online and a vast effort to edit the audio, i ended up pretty creating a "Bootleg" which i was pretty satisfied.
Last month i decided to further enhance it and while editing episode 16 i found the Broadcast version, with all of it's flaws.

The thing is, that today i found an Official Spanish DVD Box Set of Neon Genesis Evangelion released in 2003 that i've never seen before, and i decided to buy it since i had been looking for one for a long time. And to my suprise it had Episode 16 as originally aired without the field blend and color damage, although it's in PAL and interlaced, It also seems to have a strange bitrate overall, and some frames are blended due to PAL conversion. Anyways, i'll leave some RAW screenshots, if someone needs it contact me via DM. I don't know why but the whole episode is splited into 4 different files.

SPOILER: Show

The last 2 pictures are for showing the field blended frames in the PAL conversion.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm

That quality is essentially the same as on the Khara "Archive" DVD set, but at a slightly higher resolution (and showing the slight degradation of the modest up-scaling). That is much the same for any DVDs issued before the Japanese "Renewal" remastering.

Here's one the your images taken from the Archive DVD (with added subtitle - sorry) - you can see the greater sharpness and clarity, e.g. where Rei's hair crosses Asuka's:
SPOILER: Show
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Hakyra
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hakyra » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:21 am

Oh!! so it seems that it's pretty common then!!.

I started working on my own version, it won't be as impressive as pwnsweet and Sephirotic's version, since i'm not as skilled, but i wanted to do something about the quality of this episode.

i'll use shots from other episodes and various AI upscaling programs.

Return to “Fan Works”