Manga bonus chapter and 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

petina
Embryo

Manga bonus chapter and 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby petina » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 am

I'm sure this has been discussed here at some point, but I just wanted to point out something. So, in the manga's bonus chapter, we see Yui and Mari working together in school. This is, of course, very weird, but it's the manga, so we ignore it because it's an alternate story. However, I feel like this story explains the extremely Mari-like person in the photo Fuyutsuki shows Shinji in 3.0, which has led me to the conclusion that the manga's bonus chapter is tied to the Rebuild story somehow...? I dunno, like I said I'm sure this has been discussed already.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Manga bonus chapter and 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:52 am

Mari actually knew Yui and Gendo and is roughly the same age (this would explain her referring to Gendo as "Gendo-Kun" in 3.0) but her body has been kept youthful due to the Curse of Eva...At least that's my theory.

But who knows? Anno could end up doing almost nothing of significant importance with her, much like he's done with her the past two films.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Alien Sex Meddler
Alien Sex Meddler

Re: Manga bonus chapter and 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:25 am

The bonus chapter is not in the film continuity, clearly evidenced by the use of "Yui Ikari" and "Gendo Rokubungi" (versus "Yui Ayanami" and "Gendo Ikari"). It's just Sadamoto having fun with the characters by creating a manga-verse version of Mari who played a small role in Yui's past.

Mari is implied to be a physiologically normal girl at the onset of 2.0. This is done by having her distinguish herself from adults (cf. what she says after the Third Angel and Eva-05 are destroyed) and also, more subtly, by having her complain about the tightness of her current plugsuit. Since plugsuits shrink to fit, it admittedly seems odd that it would be too tight around her chest specifically, but perhaps this is because of built-in breast support. The implication being that when Mari was initially fitted for her suit, her chest was smaller, and she's undergone subsequent development since then, like teenage girls tend to do. We're told that the sortie in Eva-05 is Mari's first live Eva experience; and as early as her second, Eva-02 versus the Tenth, Mari risks a deep plug depth to activate Beast Mode, and is subsequently affected by the Curse of Eva.

The woman in the photo is almost certainly Mari's mother -- a Dr. Makinami, perhaps. Mari would have become acquainted with Gendo as a result of accompanying her mother to work. Referring to a colleague of her mom's as "Gendo-kun" rather than "Ikari-san" or something does seem rather odd, and I wonder what the not-crazy Japanese interpretation would be. My best guess is that this signifies Mari was a rather precocious youngster. Kaji does comment on her reputation as a troublemaker, as well.
Avatar: Oh Boy! Dr. Sam Beckett, Reimagined as a Cloyingly Adorable Chibi Unicorn (Osamu Tezuka's Unico)
Crying Man (Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”