Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Star Wars

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:32 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Also, important word usage: "Last" rather than "Final" implies that there is only one Jedi left, presumably Luke, but does not mean that the Jedi will go extinct. Rey obviously looks to take up the mantle.

I think people are reading two much into it. If a line of ten cars passes me the tenth is the last one, but the others are still there. "Last" could easily mean "the last person who became a Jedi" rather than "the only Jedi left". In a setting where Obi-Wan can lie through his teeth and use "certain point of view, bro!" to get away with it I think we need to wait for a bit more context before drawing any conclusions.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Director Black » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:40 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Also, important word usage: "Last" rather than "Final" implies that there is only one Jedi left, presumably Luke, but does not mean that the Jedi will go extinct. Rey obviously looks to take up the mantle.

I think it means that it's back to Luke to save the galaxy again or hinting that Luke may die leaving it in the hands of Rey.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm sure Star Wars using the title "THE LAST JEDI" will hold as much meaning for the future of this never ending franchise as it did when Friday the 13th titled their 1984 entry THE FINAL CHAPTER.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Maybe Rey won't specifically be a Jedi anymore than Kylo is a Sith?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 am

Geez, what's with every Star Wars movie coming out in December?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:09 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Geez, what's with every Star Wars movie coming out in December?

Less competition than in the summer blockbuster months, so therefore more money can be made. It was also originally slated to be released in May of this year, but they wanted more time to edit and fine tune the film, plus push it father from the release date of Rogue One so as not to give the audience Star Wars fatigue.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:39 am

Well that sucks. Where I live, it's too damn cold to go to the theater that time of the year. I still haven't seen episode VII yet. The closest is reading the script online.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:45 am

...the Blu Ray/DVD has been available for many months.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:09 am

Seeing it that way is....unappealing to me. I have an explanation for my statement, but I do not wish to discuss it in this public of a venue.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:14 am

Luke was the "last Jedi" at the end of ROTJ, and having failed at starting a new order of Jedi by the time of TFA, he is still the last Jedi. The title of Episode VIII could just as easily be a description of who the movie will be primarily featuring: the man, the myth, the last of the Jedi, Luke Skywalker. This is his movie, and we're going to learn what he's been up to all this time and who he is now as a character. Live or die, he is still the last Jedi until a new Jedi is trained; Rey is a good contender, but it may not be until Ep IX where she finally qualifies as a Jedi, if that's the route she ends up going.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:55 am

Alternative poster  SPOILER: Show
ImageImageImage
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am

pwhodges wrote:
Alternative poster  SPOILER: Show
ImageImageImage

Basically the thoughts that went through my mind. I mean Han was bad enough, but Luke? Too much... all too much.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Basically the thoughts that went through my mind. I mean Han was bad enough, but Luke? Too much... all too much.

Yeah but since Carrie Fisher has passed away it probably means that they'll be some bad CGI scene where she is shown dying (Possibly with or with out a light sabre in her hand) so if Luke also dies in the next movie it means this is trilogy shows the death's of all the old cast apart from Chewbacca to make way for new blood.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Yeah but since Carrie Fisher has passed away it probably means that they'll be some bad CGI scene where she is shown dying (Possibly with or with out a light saber in her hand) so if Luke also dies in the next movie it means this is trilogy shows the death's of all the old cast apart from Chewbacca to make way for new blood.

Disney already announced that they weren't gonna add a CGI Leia into Episode IX. This means either she was already slated to die in VIII or she'll only be mentioned off-screen. The former is more likely since principle photography ended in June for VIII last year and Carrie Fisher's death wouldn't affect the outcome of IX for Disney if Leia was expected to die in VIII.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:48 am

TheFriskyIan wrote:Disney already announced that they weren't gonna add a CGI Leia into Episode IX. This means either she was already slated to die in VIII or she'll only be mentioned off-screen. The former is more likely since principle photography ended in June for VIII last year and Carrie Fisher's death wouldn't affect the outcome of IX for Disney if Leia was expected to die in VIII.

Maybe that's what the title is a reference to, Leia dying, and Luke becoming the last jedi, assuming he trained her in the rudimentary use of the force (minimally) and she was considered a jedi.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:51 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Maybe that's what the title is a reference to, Leia dying, and Luke becoming the last jedi, assuming he trained her in the rudimentary use of the force (minimally) and she was considered a jedi.

She wasn't. In the new canon, according to Bloodline, she chose not to pursue developing her latent skills with the force in favor of serving the New Republic as a senator, where she felt she was most needed in the galaxy.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:And when was the last time anything from Disney pulled the rug out from under you a la Q?

Two words: Lone Ranger.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:57 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'm sure Star Wars using the title "THE LAST JEDI" will hold as much meaning for the future of this never ending franchise as it did when Friday the 13th titled their 1984 entry THE FINAL CHAPTER.

This. I kinda want Luke to die as the last Jedi, as in Ray isn't trained to becomes a Jedi before his death, thereby brining actual balance to the Force.

The whole "Sith vs Jedi" dynamic makes no sense when it comes to the "balancing for Force" idea. If you're a Sith, you bring imbalance the Force because you practice only dark side. If you're a Jedi, you also bring imbalance to the Force because you practice only light side. In order for there to be a true balancing of the Force, you need to practice both the light and the dark side equally, like the Ying and Yang from the far eastern mythology from which the Force concept was derived. In order for that to happen, the practices of both the Sith and the Jedi need to be abandoned.

Also, if Luke doesn't die remaining the Last Jedi, then the title loses all coolness and credibility.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:32 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: Also, if Luke doesn't die remaining the Last Jedi, then the title loses all coolness and credibility.

If it means Kylo dies first, then I like it. (I have never seen so many spoilers in one title omg)
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:This. I kinda want Luke to die as the last Jedi, as in Ray isn't trained to becomes a Jedi before his death, thereby brining actual balance to the Force.

The whole "Sith vs Jedi" dynamic makes no sense when it comes to the "balancing for Force" idea. If you're a Sith, you bring imbalance the Force because you practice only dark side. If you're a Jedi, you also bring imbalance to the Force because you practice only light side. In order for there to be a true balancing of the Force, you need to practice both the light and the dark side equally, like the Ying and Yang from the far eastern mythology from which the Force concept was derived. In order for that to happen, the practices of both the Sith and the Jedi need to be abandoned.

Also, if Luke doesn't die remaining the Last Jedi, then the title loses all coolness and credibility.

Many things in the new canon have also been developing the concept of alternative philosophies regarding the force finding balance between both the light and dark. Snoke mentions that this is his interest in Kylo Ren. Then there's the return of Ashoka Tano in Star Wars Rebels wielding white lightsabers, and as she had previously left the Jedi Order and still claims to no longer be a Jedi, she can be described as a grey force user as well. There's also the Bendu, who has officially reintroduced the concept of Ashla and Bogan, alternate terms of describing the light and dark side respectively, and he claims it foolish to favor one side for the other and that balance must be had.

Whether or not Luke dies in the upcoming films, he may still die as the last Jedi, having helped paved the way for Rey to forge her own path as a force user. Perhaps a new philosophy regarding the force will be made, and a new order of force users will arise.
- Sachi

Return to “Film and Video”