Terminator - Genisys (2015)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:15 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:For a good laugh, Paramount still hasn't given up the May 19,2017 release date for the sequel. TERMINATOR:GENISYSIER.

You're joking, right? That's not the actual title.

Please?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:18 pm

It's not the actual title but if they ever make the movie you know they'll come up with something equally stupid.

Maybe Terminator: Synthesys.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You're joking, right? That's not the actual title.

Please?

Blame the Chinese Market. This thing sold like freaking Gangbusters over there, but flopped here in the states.

Don't be surprised if the Dali Lama is the bad guy in the sequel. Or the movie is a slobbering love letter to the CCP like Transformers 4 was.

No. I'm not the least bit angry in the slightest. Why do you ask?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:59 am

Have you seen TF: AoE yet, Ray?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Terminator - Genisys (2015)

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:31 am

I don't like CinemaSins that much but they make a great point:

Young Girl and Terminator would have been a markedly better movie. Especially as a what, late 60's, 70's period piece?

Oh and Arnie is a T-800 Series Model 101. There are different models. In the first movie Arnold's old lifting partner plays a Terminator in one of Kyle's flashbacks. They don't have to all fucking look the same.

I sense a fanfiction forming.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:27 am

Do eeet! Anything you come up with will be worlds better than anything produced to date apart from the first two movies.
Last edited by Bagheera on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:07 pm

I'm still waiting on Gob's Jurassic World rewrite. :devil:
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:00 am

Okay. I know this thread is dead, and I'm not supposed to be here. But some HUGE news just dropped like a bomb that I feel I need to share. There may be hope for the franchise. or not. This is James Cameron after all.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator- ... 201890848/

James Cameron is back to 'Godfather' another terminator movie. and TIM MILLER is going to be involved. So far it's simply going to be called 'Terminator'. no 'the' in the title. and that's the only detail we know so far.

Incidentally? This video that came out a bit before the announcement actually gives a pretty good pitch on how the reboot should be handled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJMDet82Hk

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:25 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Okay. I know this thread is dead, and I'm not supposed to be here. But some HUGE news just dropped like a bomb that I feel I need to share. There may be hope for the franchise. or not. This is James Cameron after all.

I don't know about how good it's going to be. Sure, we have the creator of the franchise returning, but the first two Terminators are nearly perfect movies. Even with a continuing story, it already ended with Skynet being destroyed. Still, as a big fan of the first two, I will keep my eye open.

(Also, kudos for you for using a Moviebob video for reference).
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:22 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:(Also, kudos for you for using a Moviebob video for reference).

I'm pretty sure Movieblob is about as far from a good source of reference as humanly possible. This is the guy that has legitimately advocated for a totalitarian state after all.

What, you think I'm joking? Feast thine eyes.

Movieblob's sheer insanity (all collected from his tweets)  SPOILER: Show
Last edited by Squigsquasher on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:38 pm

I only posted it because of the quality of the pitch itself.

As for Bobs politics? Well, I just avoid the more obviously political ones. Because he occasionally have some good insight into movies and storytelling(occasionally).

For those who can't be bothered to click?

Basically he proposes this. Condition number one. Nothing after Terminator 2 Happened. No Skynet, No Arnold Terminator. Skynet blew up in 1996, Skynet never went online. So instead of another human coming back to prevent future war. Have it be a human character motivated by ideology come back from the good future to our present to make a bad future happen, and make the terminator a robot from our present. That way it would be less outright Anti-science like the first two movies, and it could have some decent commentary on how automation is going to replace us eventually even if the Skynet scenario doesn't happen.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:44 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I'm pretty sure Movieblob is about as far from a good source of reference as humanly possible. This is the guy that has legitimately advocated for a totalitarian state after all.

What, you think I'm joking? Feast thine eyes.

Movieblob's sheer insanity (all collected from his tweets)  SPOILER: Show

That's a nice misleading collage. Also great that you got it from Encyclopedia Dramatica instead of actually reading his tweets.

But I'll let this slide for now; we don't need this thread being sidetracked into an argument on whether or not someone is a fascist or not.

As for my response to Ray...I like the ideas, but I don't think they should make a reboot when the first two Terminators are classics.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:50 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:I don't think they should make a reboot when the first two Terminators are classics.

Sounded to me like things were just being "rebooted" back to only 1 and 2 counting, meaning they retain their position as classics and everything else is discarded. This sort of thing has been done before (e.g., Superman Returns is a follow-up to 1 and 2 only, ignoring 3 and 4) and I'm sure it will become more and more common.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:12 pm

I think we need to continue the fine tradition of each Terminator movie rebooting the franchise by altering the timeline of the movies that preceded it so none of them are actually compatible with each other.

It's a shame that the SCC TV show was the only one to even touch on the potentially very interesting idea of multiple futures interacting with multiple pasts.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Predator, Alien (somewhat), Friday the 13th, Halloween & such I still actively want more of.
Terminator... I feel like it's time to stop. Just let it fade away.
I haven't seen Genesis but I'm still bloody pissed we didn't get sequels to Salvation.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Don't get me wrong Reichu, I'm open to a reboot, but nothing can top the first two films.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:48 am

So at this point the Terminator film series goes:

The Teriminator - Original Film.
T2: Judgment Day - Sequel to Original Film.
T3: Rise Of the Machines - Sequel that exists to essential reboot things. A sneaky reboot. Meant to kick off a new trilogy of films. Failed.
Salvation - A reboot of the series by taking it in a new direction. Meant to kick off a new trilogy of films that ends with Christian Bale sending Anton Yelchin (RIP) back in time. Failed.
Genisys - Garbage reboot that is meant to take the series in a new direction. Meant to kick off a new trilogy of films. Failed.
Newboot - A new reboot.

The Terminator series is one original film, one genuine sequel and three failed reboots. What a track record.
Unless James Cameron directs - he won't, he's all focused on those FOUR Avatar sequels - there's nothing to really get excited about. Having his hands on producing is as exciting as when Cameron produced SANCTUM.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:34 am

I've never seen a Terminator film beyond T2. I felt that there was no reason to go back to something James Cameron wasn't going back to.

The only way in which this is breaking non-Cameron directed Terminator film is that Cameron is producing. And I'm not sure that's too big a deal at this point. Every time they make a new reboot, Cameron is video-taped saying "Machines/Salvation/Genesys is the sequel to my movies that they deserve," only to retract that statement when the critical reviews start pouring in and the movie flops in the box office. He's only said those things because the studio wants these movies to make money, and for some reason Cameron is the only modern artist who's opinions and ideas a major studio actually respects to some degree. (I'm not saying Cameron isn't worth that attention, I just wonder what's clicking with him that isn't woking with other visionary artists.) The studio doesn't care if Spielberg liked Jurassic World, and they don't care if Peter Jackson liked his own Hobbit trilogy, but they feel that a stamp of approval from James Cameron, no matter how forced, means something to both the interest of the studio and the audiences. And James Cameron is a savvy business guy too, so he's probably "approving" these Terminator reboots simply to gain leverage for his Avatar movies.

So, if every Terminator film reboot is "the first one that [Cameron's] movie deserves," what difference does it really make that Cameron is producing one this time? Probably none.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:20 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So, if every Terminator film reboot is "the first one that [Cameron's] movie deserves," what difference does it really make that Cameron is producing one this time? Probably none.

Honestly, I think Cameron could give less of a shit considering how he's considered the definitive blockbuster director. He has nothing to gain or lose with the career he's built so what else is there to do but go back to old times?

There's a small chance that this'll be like what happened with the new Star Wars trilogy - A company having nothing to gain or lose and buy one of the biggest franchises and actually have it turn out to be solid - but I highly doubt it since most people think the franchise has run it's course.

(Not)
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:33 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It's not the actual title but if they ever make the movie you know they'll come up with something equally stupid.

Maybe Terminator: Synthesys.

...why not Terminator X.0-DOS?

Return to “Film and Video”